ryoder

SkyRay in Wired Magazine

I am in afghan and can't get that mag.... please help a brother out

Hey Le Roy,

So when do you get demobed out of Afghanistan? You should try to go home via Dubai and visit the DZ at Umm Alquaywn. They have a King Air coming soon.

Email me for details.

B|

fergbird

I am in afghan and can't get that mag.... please help a brother out

Hey Le Roy,

So when do you get demobed out of Afghanistan? You should try to go home via Dubai and visit the DZ at Umm Alquaywn. They have a King Air coming soon.

Email me for details.

B|

fergbird

Hey man, i am not reserve army... I am full time active. I would love to come jump if your not pulling my leg.... hey i emailed the guy in the emails (Mubarak, the Saudi Special Forces guy)... I never got a reply from him though. Do you think he could swing an official invitation and or a plane ticket? I know the plane ticket might be a stretch though... I might swing over to seeb Oman in sep or oct... could you hook mw up with some contacts there? I hear they have a Team over there that I might be able to jump with...
Le ROy
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

As Robert said, not a lot of text. Wasn't going to pay £3.99 for the pleasure of scanning that. Luckily it's on the Wired website

Wingman

Get ready to fly at 186 mph.

By Michael Abrams

Want to soar like an eagle? Then go with a parasail or a hang glider. But for those who dream of screaming through the air like a superhero, there's the Skyray - a solid, triangular, carbon-fiber contraption that lets skydivers shoot above the clouds at 186 mph for two exhilarating minutes. That's quadruple the air time of the usual free fall and almost twice the speed of the world's fastest bird, the spine-tailed swift.

Nearly ready for mass production, the 9-pound Skyray is the brainchild of Munich-based inventor Alban Geissler, who has designed earthbound objects from hot rods to hot-water pumps. His innovation: delta wings, like those on an F-102 fighter jet. Instead of sticking out perpendicular to the body, the Skyray's wings are angled back, eliminating the need for a stabilizing tail and making any kind of spin - the fatal flaw of many a wing suit - impossible. When the high-speed joyride is over, the jumper pulls a rip cord and parachutes in for landing - wings still attached.

Geissler had never skydived before he came up with his invention, and since then he's managed just 25 jumps. (His girlfriend gets jealous when he flirts with death.) So he turns to Christoph Aarns, part owner of Dädalus, one of Germany's four drop zones. Aarns has a wife and two kids and is obsessed with safety. For playing guinea pig, Aarns gets 10 percent of Geissler's company, Freesky, and, of course, he can take a Skyray out whenever he likes. (Geissler has recently added a second test flier, Patrick Barton.)

After Aarns' first flight in 1999, he had a few suggestions for Geissler. "Velcro is not a good idea when you're flying at 200 miles per hour," he says dryly. The wings also had no handles, and Aarns had to eject from the suit after the turbulent ride. A few prototypes later, Aarns is now able to fly the Skyray "instead of it flying me." After squeezing diagonally out the door of a twin-prop plane at 13,500 feet, he dives straight down to pick up speed, then grabs onto the wings' handles and zooms across the horizon. "The Skyray is like a bullet," he says. "It's like an arrow." Bull's-eye.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Abrams ([email protected]), who's writing a book about birdmen, made his first jump in March.

Accompanying images:

FT_wingman_1 is by Patrick Barton and is sub-titled,
"Aarns wings it."

FT_wingman_2 is by Dädalus Service and sub-titled,
"Test jumpers Christoph Aarns(right) and Patrick Barton get ready for take off wearing the 9-pound Skyray."

Quadruple the freefall time? Either Michael has only done a tandem or an AFF jump or the Skyray can fly for a lot longer than 2 minutes :-P

Only four DZs in Germany? DZ.com lists 28

Don't get the bit about the velcro. Where was it initially? On the wing or the rig?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Quadruple the freefall time? Either Michael has only done a tandem or an AFF jump or the Skyray can fly for a lot longer than 2 minutes :-P

Actually, he has only done a tandem, and I was in DeLand when he did it. His motives are spot on, and most of his info is on. I think the quadruple figure came from doing a 30 second tandem, compared to a two-minute flight with the Skyray.

Being that he is soon going to be the voice to the general public regarding what we are doing, whether we like it or not. The better thing to do is send him the correct data before it gets finalized in his upcoming book about BirdMan. His data seems to be about 5% - 10% off a lot of the time, and he seems to be very open to correction.

Far better than this kloojy debacle of misinformation:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-07-22-croft-stunts_x.htm
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Ancient thread but still hot topic...for a newbie anyway.:(

At 186mph does the Skyray actually create any lift or does it just 'go like a bullet" ?

This seems like such a good idea. Why isn't everyone using them.?

Flying the wing ... does it have flaps and ailerons and stuff or is it solid like a surf board?

if this thing folded up that would have to be better.

Skyray ...there used to be a Navy? jet by that name ....any connection?