ManBird

Geko 301

http://www.garmin.com/products/geko301/

Anyone use this? I'm looking for an affordable, portable GPS unit with an altimeter. Just wondering if this does this job. Any other recommendations would be good. I've received a few recommendations about various Garmin products, but their site is quite messy.

I checked out Delorme's GPS unit, which seems to kick ass in terms of portability and price, but I don't think there's an altimeter on there. If there is, I didn't read anything about it.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

http://www.garmin.com/products/geko301/

Anyone use this? I'm looking for an affordable, portable GPS unit with an altimeter. Just wondering if this does this job. Any other recommendations would be good. I've received a few recommendations about various Garmin products, but their site is quite messy.

I checked out Delorme's GPS unit, which seems to kick ass in terms of portability and price, but I don't think there's an altimeter on there. If there is, I didn't read anything about it.

Delorme does not have a barometric altimiter if that is what you mean, but the software i have found to use with it does all the altitude logging.

Kevin

Delorme does not have a barometric altimiter if that is what you mean, but the software i have found to use with it does all the altitude logging.

Really? How does it do that? That Delorme GPS is absolutely perfect if I can log altitude. Size, weight, price, USB. Good stuff.

Click

The problem I can see with the geko is that it doesn't have an antenna or a port for an external antenna. It also probably doesn't have a female screw fitting on the bottom like most of the other GPS models do for mounting which means your goign to have some mounting and signal reception issues.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Really? How does it do that? That Delorme GPS is absolutely perfect if I can log altitude. Size, weight, price, USB. Good stuff.

Well the USB isn't going to help you much unless you take a laptop with you :) i was planning on using my handspring. GPSes can tell you your altitude based on the sats, with my street atlas software i can load up a screen that tells me how high I am..

Kevin

Yo !

Any GPS unit should be able to calculate GPS altitude, however it's less accurate than barometric reading (or GPS horizontal position for that matter). Horizontal fix needs 3 satellites, altitude fix requires at least 4. For logging wingsuit flights barometric is better.

Units that have barometric altimeters generally use barometric readings for instant access and can adjust calibration for weather changes by using long-term average GPS altitude readings. Don't forget to turn this feature off, since we don't need any adjustments during the flight. Set it to "manually calibrate altitude" or such.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Oh, so the Delorme one doesn't log the info to be used later? It needs to be connected to something else that logs it?

Does anyone uses a "flat" GPS in conjunction with their ProTrack, as opposed to going out and getting one with a barometric altimeter? Have you ever heard a wolf cry to the new born moon, or asked the grinning bobcat why he grins?

Click

As I am not a "techie", I still find it odd that you who are still even remotely trust your ProTracs. Hell, even an intermediate flier can outfly the thing, so why even bother. As Lou said, why not just run the counter on your video? Bottom line is we all need our Neptunes...

Peace,

Chuckie
BM-I (among other things)

Bottom line is we all need our Neptunes...

Do you really think they're going to be that much better? Isn't the problem with the ProTrack one of placement rather than the unit itself? Won't the Neptune suffer the same problems from being put inside a helmet or any other 'dirty' air?

I did a few jump with my ProTrack on a hand mount, thinking it would make a big difference to how 'clean' its readings were - but it didn't :(

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I'm thinking about making a small articulated arm mechanism and mounting it to my helmet so that I can swing the neptune into my periph vison much like a ring sight. I will also have a GPS top mounted on my helmet and a wireless intercommunications mic so that I can communicate with NASA via sat com radio and fayetteville Regional because I will be flying VFR and any other birdmen who have mics. I am working with a manufacturer on a FLIR system that will enable night and inclement weather flights.;):P
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm developing a helmet mounted unit to modify the laws of physics. The unit will be configurable via a cold fusion powered subspace communications atenna made from a patented mixture of the finest Swiss cheese and antimatter. Once I've ironed out the bugs it will be available on ebay for £0.49.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

So if I understand this correctly, theoretically, we could fly in a flock with one man wearing your helmet and the rest of us would be able to talk to the aliens without incuring long distance or roaming charges correct?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's a flawless system alright. Just ensure that you wear a tin foil skull cap under under your helmet to prevent the feds from reading your mind whilst you defraud the telcos.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Hang on a second, I thought the mixture of Swiss cheese and anti matter would disapate any tell tale signs and or signatures and thus there would be no need for the dreaded tin foil skull cap. As a side note, i was wondering if the byproduct from the cold fusion could actually be used as a means to allow for us to maintain altitude for indefinate amounts of time by routeing it towards the front of the flock with a braod coverage discharge valve assembly?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You're weird.

Your the one who added Swiss cheese in the mix my friend. Besides you think calling a guy who wears a nylon suit with wings and jumps out of planes hasn't been called weird before?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

what do you guys know about it?

Well, this is inside info and all I can tell you is this....I will have one before you do and it will have the anti matter birdman software upgrade;):P:D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Someone had to drag this thread back to skydiving!

Altimaster Neptune

There are a handful of threads around somewhere about the Neptune, seems like no-one has actually receieved one yet due to a problem with one of the components. It sounds like they're due any time.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Anyone use this? I'm looking for an affordable, portable GPS unit with an altimeter

I happened to be in a sporting goods stor and noticed this model. It is incredibly small and light, takes 2 AAA's I believe. It has no port which to DL info that I could discern and it had no mounting screw base nor an external antenna. Unless you plan on holding it in your teeth or taping it to your forehead i suggest you look at another model. The Vista is a bit bigger(not too much) and has a means to connect for DLing
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Anyone use this? I'm looking for an affordable, portable GPS unit with an altimeter

I happened to be in a sporting goods stor and noticed this model. It is incredibly small and light, takes 2 AAA's I believe. It has no port which to DL info that I could discern and it had no mounting screw base nor an external antenna. Unless you plan on holding it in your teeth or taping it to your forehead i suggest you look at another model. The Vista is a bit bigger(not too much) and has a means to connect for DLing

The Geko I looked at a while back has the standard Garmin 4-pin data connector. It's software is almost identical to the eTrex software and the Garmin protocol is pretty standardized anyway, so it will probably work with most mapping software.

The Geko I looked at a while back has the standard Garmin 4-pin data connector.

I couldn't find one on it and it's not like there is a lot of places it could of been. The Vista had the 4 pin port at the top of the unit covered by a rubber flap. Personally, I think units with internal antennas are going to have to have a mounting screw receptacle or a after market holder of sorts in order to mount them externally to either your body or a helmet. Of course there is always the tried and true duct tape method;)

Edited to add: I believe I was looking at the 101 model in the store and not the 301, which does have a 4 pin data port on the top and a mounting screw receptacle.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So if I understand this correctly, theoretically, we could fly in a flock with one man wearing your helmet and the rest of us would be able to talk to the aliens without incuring long distance or roaming charges correct?

Scott have you been drinkin TOO much stump liquer again?