ManBird

Calling All Skyflying Photographers

There is a massive shortage of wingsuit flying pictures in Parachutist, and not much representation in some others like Frittifall, etc. Is anyone submitting? I know you're out there. I'm just starting to get a camera setup together, but I'd rather not have anyone wait for me.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Parachutist, a LOT of people "read" it. Actually, they skim the pictures. They see tandems. They see RW. They see freeflying. And they also see some inventive hybrids, swoops, and canopy work here and there.

Wingsuits made the cover once and have been absent since. If we really want to expand skyflying, we need to do what basically happened with freeflying. Freeflying was this scary, mysterious thing that a lot of people avoided and criticized at one point (and some still do). But increased discussion and, in my opinion, photographic exposure in TRUSTED periodicals, such as Parachutist, made it widely accepted.

For the sake of our discipline, gather up your photos and send them off to your favorite publications (and Parachutist). There is a lot of fear and mystery to remove amongst those who've yet to truly fly. To whom shall they listen? The guy with the wings or the supposedly conservative USPA publication? The words or the pictures? It's almost as if people are waiting for the USPA to come forward and say, "OK everybody! It's safe now" (many don't know that wingsuits made it into the 2003 SIM).

So, I call upon you, oh winged ones donning cameras upon your brow! Capture Classics, GTis, Skyflyers, S3s (but not Crossbows) in flight, as evidence that man can finally fly!

Plus, you get like $10 and bragging rights.

(Edited to sound scarier)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I do believe Skydiving Magazine in DeLand, Florida, pays more than that. They also have a world wide readership. (Although pics in Parachutist do look better due to the glossy paper.)

Skydiving's website is www.skydivingmagazine.com - info on how to submit articles and pics is listed there.

~Kimibird
-Kimberly Griffin

Yeah, but keep in mind, Skydiving Magazine kicks ass. ;)

I didn't mention Skydiving because they seem to have pretty decent recognition of wingsuits. I also really like their recognition of skydiving's closest relative, BASE. The articles are worth reading, and are not all sugar-coated or bland. Definitely my preferred publication for this sport.

Click

I'm working on it. believe me.. I was trying to get the logos on my space suit for memorial day but that isn't gonna happen it doesn't look like.. wanted to get centerfold having the USAF birdman shot..

The difficult thing is finding a freefall photographer who jumps wingsuits.. I have one BM-I at my dz and it takes twisting his arm to get him to go on a fun jump with his suit (he does shoot stills). LouDiamond has been filming the crap out of me but he doesn't shoot still..

And people without a suit just can't seem to fall at my rate for some reason :-)

I've already thought up a kick ass exit out of a cessana that the photographer should be able to get a great exit shot with.. thing is you have one chance timing has to be perfect and it's not that much fun for the photographer after the exit (unless I swoop him as well, which is fun).

Anyway I'm determined to get in there with the space suit so just keep lookin :)

Kevin

So, I call upon you, oh winged ones donning cameras upon your brow! Capture Classics, GTis, Skyflyers, S3s (but not Crossbows) in flight, as evidence that man can finally fly!

If you want something done right -- you have to do it yourself.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you want something done right -- you have to do it yourself.

Working on it. My DeLand trip left me flat broke, but my next paycheck means financial recovery, and I'm aiming to get my helmet together.

Click

check out the cover of the new 2004 SIM. there's a picture of a black and yellow GTI on the left side next to the second 0 in 2004.
I'm proud to admit that I'm the one in the black/yellow suit (<---- see my avatar)
:-)
Big Thanks to Mark Lichtle, who took the photo. Ed Pawlowski (Bodypilot1) and Randy Pacheco were in the picture too. great flyers, both of them.

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."

That article was the best thing in this months Parachutist!

I liked the part where the recommendation is if you have the experience and can'nt find a BM-I is to just order the suit, talk to the S&TA and just wing it. Can you imagine the protest letters that ones is going to spawn? :ph34r:

LOTS of good pics of some Wingsuit flights!

Kevin and Steve now have a beer coming to them next time I see Kevin or meet Steve!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com