syberrsurfer

'Cypres or not'

Hi there,
I see that one of my fellow CrEw dawgs is on the list (DJL). I've just purchased a new rig and am having reservations about hooking up a CYPRES on it , at least for the moment. We are seriously considering buying identical Lightnings at some point soon. Right now, I am on a Turbo ZX 165. I think DJL is on the same, but a 185. What are some opinions on doing CReW with or without a CYPRES setup.
Thnx,
RPV
HISPA #37
Do CReW!!! 'Be CRew'd, Blue'd 'n' Lewd!!'

Hey Ranjit, here's what Wendy had to say when I asked her about it.

To: faulknerwn
Date Sent:
Aug 30, 2002, 12:30 PM
Why no AAD for CRW? Yeah, I know the answer is somewhere in the mass of threads....sorry, lazy today. In return I don't ask for a long response.

Would a downplane create the speed to set off an AAD?

Date Sent:
Aug 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
Mainly because a misfire (and yes, Cypres's have misfired more than once) is pretty much gonna be fatal. Cuz you now end up with your reserve launched through/around someone else's main and your main and you have a giant mess on your hand. Have I done CRW with someone with an AAD? Definitely. Would I ever put one in a dedicated CRW rig? Nope.

A Cypres is designed NOT to fire if anything at all is out. So in theory, a downplane, a wrap, or anything else like that wouldn't fire it. So if works as designed, it'll never help ya in CRW because CRWdogs don't die because of too little out, we diec because we have tons of shit out. So if working as planned, it won't save you, and if it misfires, it'll kill ya. So there's no real incentive.

And while I will do CRW with someone with an active Cypres, I would never do it with an active FXC or Astra. Those misfire way too often - a misfire on a Cypres is a much rarer occurrence.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

uh, you could bump your head on exit.
I have only heard of 1 inadvertant Cypres misfire, and that problem (a static electricity/threshold firing current issue) was revisited and they've been updated. I will always wear one if it's available. Would you turn a Cypres off on a rig before a CReW jump?????

How about the misfire that happened on the rig sitting on a picnic table, or one not too long ago in SoCal at like 7k, the one in SoCal reported on here this summer about a radio trigging it, etc. Its electronic... it does glitch at times.

If you want an AAD to last you through the exit but prevents firing under canopy get an Astra. Its got the On/off switch that goes on the MLW.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

uh, you could bump your head on exit.
I have only heard of 1 inadvertant Cypres misfire, and that problem (a static electricity/threshold firing current issue) was revisited and they've been updated. I will always wear one if it's available. Would you turn a Cypres off on a rig before a CReW jump?????

It's ....MY HERO and one of the original THEM TOADSUCKERS!

Howdy Dave!

....well, I find it interesting that you advocate the 'Astra'. Hven't heard too much, or rather anything about the Pros and Cons of it. Perhaps its the prevailing popularity of the CYPRES unit or the relatively insignificant number of ASTRA units out there. As too turniing off AADs while jumping CReW; Yes, that is something I've always done. In any case, I'd appreciate it if you could clue me in on the better features of the ASTRA in relation to CYPRES. :S
HISPA #37
Do CReW!!! 'Be CRew'd, Blue'd 'n' Lewd!!'

(Disclaimer : I only have one CRW jump in my logbook, so what do I know, but anyway...)

This is an issue I've thought about often and also discussed with some local CRW-jumpers. Despite all the reasoning and explanations I still can't see why not to use cypres in CRW. It certainly will not fire in downplane or any other kind of situation when there is canopy above you. DJL quoted :
"CRWdogs don't die because of too little out, we diec because we have tons of shit out."
That is partially true, but also CRW fatalities occur where jumper spends too much time to try to work out a wrap and has no time to activaty the reserve. Would cypres help on these occasions ? Altitude awareness is crucial thing on these situations and especially for a low-time jumper thing happen fast.

I understand that if you are serious about CRW and experienced in it, you might make a choice to jump without AAD and even feel more safer doing so, but would it be ok for a beginning crewdog or a low-time jumper to have just that amount of extra backup of and AAD?
http://www.ufufreefly.com

i jump crw kits fitted with cypres but always have them turned off. also people are jumping smaller n smaller crw canopies now , also doing stuff on extreme canopies. with this in mind firing speeds will be exceeded very soon. Cypres have stated that they will not fire but they operate on speed/altitude relation ship and cannot tell if you have a full canopy out or not. also all students at my jump home are banned from spiraling they canopies at or around the firing hight for the very same reason.
make your own choice but dont jump with me!

pull high fly low;)

The problem with a Cypres in CRW is if it misfires. Its probally going to be deadly to have your reserve go through another persons main in a stack.

Cypres's have a good track record, but there have been misfires in freefall and even on the ground. Radios are becoming more and more needed it seems on the big stuff, radio's have been linked to misfires in the past.

>That is partially true, but also CRW fatalities occur where jumper spends too much time to try to work out a wrap and has no time to activaty the reserve. Would cypres help on these occasions ?

That assumes the jumper has to clear the wrap, freefall up to the firing speed of the cypres and then be with in its firing window. Its easier just to pull your handle ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Certainly I'll do small ways with someone who is wearing a Cypres - I wouldn't jump one but we generally do pretty tame skydiving when I'm teaching newbies. I definitely don't want one (or at least have it turned off) in big ways because a misfire is almost certainly fatal.
They have misfired in the past, and for it to fire for real, you'd hvae to get back up to freefall speeds after cutting away from a wrap and I'd save time by just pulling a handle.
W

>How fast could a downplane be then? Anyone who knows? Is it
>really impossible to reach 78 mph as maximum speed?

That would depend on the size of the canopies. If my memory serves me correct, a Protrack will start recording again in a downplane. If that's right there should be actual data available from any crew-dog with a Protrack?