Bodhisattva420

Anyone freeflying a Dolphin container?

These are just what I look for in a RIG.

I've personally seen two very nasty premature deployments due to Large D-Ring handles. One high speed deployment at 170+ mph, that knocked the victim out cold for almost the entire Reserve canopy decent. I thought I was watching a dead friend under his reserve. Luckily his Reserve didn't shread or break multiple lines, since he was completely unconscious for about 5 minutes. The second D-Handle premie happened when chunking a big way exit out of an Otter that was very close to becoming a Tail Strike.

If you insist on a D-Handle, please pick the low profile ones. I have a pocket on my Pillow Handles, that allow me to insert my thumb / fingers. Almost like a D-Handle but not quite as easy.

Some Rigs don't need Secondary Riser Covers because the fabic along side the Pack Tray is wide enough and the riser channels deep enough to secure the risers and toggles completely. But Secondary Riser Covers on most rigs are always a good thing. I too have seen several ocassions where unstowed toggles were flapping around. Nasty openings and cut aways were the results.

I've personally seen two very nasty premature deployments due to Large D-Ring handles. One high speed deployment at 170+ mph, that knocked the victim out cold for almost the entire Reserve canopy decent. I thought I was watching a dead friend under his reserve. Luckily his Reserve didn't shread or break multiple lines, since he was completely unconscious for about 5 minutes. The second D-Handle premie happened when chunking a big way exit out of an Otter that was very close to becoming a Tail Strike.

If you insist on a D-Handle, please pick the low profile ones. I have a pocket on my Pillow Handles, that allow me to insert my thumb / fingers. Almost like a D-Handle but not quite as easy.

Some Rigs don't need Secondary Riser Covers because the fabic along side the Pack Tray is wide enough and the riser channels deep enough to secure the risers and toggles completely. But Secondary Riser Covers on most rigs are always a good thing. I too have seen several ocassions where unstowed toggles were flapping around. Nasty openings and cut aways were the results.

I have heard both arguments for the reserve handle and I know I have not been jumping as long as you guys but it seems like to me that call is all personal and there is no clear cut answer. I think a D ring can cause you to have a bad day but I also think a pillow/pud style handle can as well. I roll with the pillow reserve handle and the D ring cut away personally :P Seriously though great points on both sides but I do see good and bad to both options.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I've personally seen two very nasty premature deployments due to Large D-Ring handles.

And we have all read numerous incidents about pillow handles causing major problems as well, including at least one confirmed fatality (pillow was flipped behind strap jumper could not release it)

ill take a d-ring over pillow any day.

To the OP, i think its pretty much sumed up. Jump it if you want to, but dont expect people to not be aprehensive about jumping with you. You could probably sell the container, put the $250 towards a better container for what kind of jumping you want to do.

Theres a reason its not a very common rig for FF, and its not the brand don't kid yourself.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

1.) Tuck Tabs on Riser Covers.
2.) Secondary Riser Covers along side the Reserve Pack Tray.
3.) No more than 3-5 inches of exposed Risers from the rings to the tuck tabs on shoulders.
3.) A Reserve flap with side tuck tabs, and tuck tab at the bottom that inserts into the rig.
4.) A Main PIN flap that either folds up into the rig, or has long stiffeners that fold up under the closing flaps on the main pack tray.
5.) A fully seated Pop Top (Reserve Pilot Chute), with some type of Reserve PIN Flap over the POP top.
6.) A tight Main Pack Tray.
7.) A tight Reserve Pack Tray.
8.) A tight Main Closing Loop.
9.) A tight chest strap that stays tight during opening.
10.) Tight leg straps that stay tight during opening.
11.) BOC or PUD deployment system.
12.) NO Exposed Bridle, not even an inch.
13.) Tight BOC Pouch ( No worn out Spandex or elastic.
14.) I personally HATE D-Rings, so Pillow Cut Away and Reserve handles.
15.) If you must have D-Rings then they MUST be low profile.
16.) Some type of AAD, especially if Freeflying with low timers or on Advanced Big Ways.
17.) No Velcro anywhere.

Good List, I think these are the defining traits of any Modern rig. However I feel that you can reasonably disagree with options 3 and 5 (by simply putting the reserve pins on your back, what better way to protect them!) and once again, #14 and #15 can be disagreed upon by other reasonable minds.

This is a perfect example why I get tired of the term FreeFly Friendly... Because people throw it around with their own set of criteria, most of which could be disagreed upon by reasonable jumpers ~ hence the fact this thread is the length it is.
=========Shaun ==========

So . . . Anyone out there freeflying a Dolphin with tuck tabs?

Yes, we have a few at our DZ that do and I replace their velcro on their reserve flap on a regular basis.

Look, if a Dolphin has the updates that Mr. Furry has been building into his rigs for the last few years (i.e. Tuck tabs on main riser covers, bridle protection et cetera) then the only thing about a Dolphin I would be concerned about is the lack of tuck tabs on the reserve flap. If taken care of, it will stay down, but with worn velcro it opens and flaps around in a normal sit.

So . . . Anyone out there freeflying a Dolphin with tuck tabs?

Yes, we have a few at our DZ that do and I replace their velcro on their reserve flap on a regular basis.

Look, if a Dolphin has the updates that Mr. Furry has been building into his rigs for the last few years (i.e. Tuck tabs on main riser covers, bridle protection et cetera) then the only thing about a Dolphin I would be concerned about is the lack of tuck tabs on the reserve flap. If taken care of, it will stay down, but with worn velcro it opens and flaps around in a normal sit.

the newer dolphins have a tuck tab reserve pin cover. the only velcro is on the main flap.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

First off neither one of you should even be thinking about free flying.... you need a lot more belly jumps.

they need to do this why? because belly jumps make for a good freeflying foundation? hmmm...i always thought backflying was a better tool to have. i started freeflying right off AFF...even before my A. in fact, i can't belly fly to save my life...but i can freefly half way ok.

what was this magic number you transitioned from your "all important" belly discipline to freeflying?
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

the newer dolphins have a tuck tab reserve pin cover. the only velcro is on the main flap.

ORLY? Thank you Sir, I stand Corrected.

yep
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=124125;

edited to add: yep is for the orly? i wasnt being a smart ass and saying yep to you being corrected.

edited to add: yep is for the orly? i wast being a smart ass and saying yep to you being corrected.

No, seriously thank you. I've been giving folks advice at the DZ based on the assumption that the reserve pin flap was merely held on by 2 slits of velcro ~

With their current configuration, how is it any different than a Javelin? It's not. Maybe it just costs less.:)

p.s. -----

I have a letter in my rigging folder from Furry that you can close the bottom reserve flap one of two ways...

a. Bottom Flap UNDER the reserve pilot chute, as
you have
b. Bottom Flap ON TOP OF reserve pilot chute,
just like a Javelin/wings

Personally, I usually close Dolphins with the reserve PC under the bottom flap. I think it makes it tighter and more able to handle the speeds of modern skyjumping.

I actually called Mike Furry and asked him about that ~ he told me the reason for putting that flap under the Reserve PC was so that it didn't look too much like a Javelin..:D

thanks for the info.

her is a link to some pics of the new dolphin from earlier in the thread. scroll down about 1/3 of the way.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3925135;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

it seems that all the problems people have with freeflying dolphins have been addressed.

these aren't mods, this is how the new rigs come.

it seems that all the problems people have with freeflying dolphins have been addressed.

Maybe but the flaps still come open apparently. I'm certainly not convinced because the riser covers appear to be very similar to early Javelins.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Maybe but the flaps still come open apparently. I'm certainly not convinced because the riser covers appear to be very similar to early Javelins.

i am not following the "but the flaps still come open apparently" part. could you explain please?

Yep

I received a message from someone I talked to not long ago about gear. I suggested other options. He picked up a dolphin with the current standards. Here is a quote.

"Even with the new design, shit comes open all the time"

He was referring to the riser covers and mentioned the reserve flap hit him in the head a time or 2. He's unsure if the main flap comes open but he's done freeflying with it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

in fact, i can't belly fly to save my life...but i can freefly half way ok.

:S

Exactly..... [:/] Not even going to go over this discussion again... it is pointless with some.

Edited to add: What's up Orly
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

You and I both know. People buy Dolphins because they are easier on the wallet. No other reason to get one. Not with all the other far safer and superior rigs on the market.

Bet the dude you were talking with wishes he has spent the extra cash in the first place.
Dom

in fact, i can't belly fly to save my life...but i can freefly half way ok.

:S

Exactly..... [:/] Not even going to go over this discussion again... it is pointless with some.

Edited to add: What's up Orly

come on...use your words...
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.