MB38

Flying forwards while sitting

I did a few 2-way sit jumps this past weekend and found that I was having difficulty closing the gap between myself and the other jumper. We would exit unlinked and before I knew it I was a pretty good distance away from them. This most likely has to do with my backsliding while getting into a sit, something I was able to work on a little more throughout the day.

My guess is that I should straighten my legs a little bit and put my arms farther back. I think that arching my hips forwards while doing this would turn my back into a big "scoop" to propel me forwards. That said, I haven't tried it.

I was able to close the gap to about 10 feet at one point. I got on my belly, tracked towards him, flipped my legs forwards into a sit and sped up my fall rate to catch up. Not the best way to do it :D

I've also been watching every sit video I can get my hands on, but I'd love to hear what people have to say.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

for starters, do NOT go on to your belly during a freefly jump. this is a very bad habit that could have devastating results.
my second piece of advice goes hand-in-hand with not going to your belly and that is, at this point you should leave the tracking to designated track dives and break off.
take the time to develop good, safe technique. pushing your hips out and legs down is a great way to achieve forward movement.
stay safe and keeping working at it.

1.if you are going to your belly AT ALL in a free fly dive you need to work on your basic stability before you worry about your mobility...

2. dont put your arms behind you. It's a bad habit, bad form, and can cause ugly shoulder injuries.

3. your torso is your largest wing.. if you are backsliding you are likely using it by leaning forward... once you have a solid stable sit (can fall straight down the 'tube') start by squeezing your shoulder blades together as if you were holding a tennis ball between them and slowly push your shoulder blades backwards into the wind while maintaining your arm and leg positions.. this is your primary source of drive in a sit..

4. Get a coach.. and or get an experienced freeflier to lead a 'sitfly flocking dive' that allows everyone in the dive to work on forward motion.. (it is far easier to backslide like a bat out of hell than it is to drive)

there are multiple ways to drive forward in a sit, but which one you use will depend on how far you need to go.. for example for small distances you can even use the bottom of your feet to give you the slight forward motion necessary to dock...

Noted on the belly thing. I won't try and make any excuses for it, I simply did not know.

With regards to my stability, I'm able to hold and control my sit without losing it. Actually, both people that I jumped with complimented me on how solid my sit was. That's not to say I'm good at it at all, but it's nice to know that I can hold onto it. :)
I'll be sure to keep my arms from going behind me, thanks for the tip.

I'm actually looking forward to the flocking dive you described. One of the people I jumped with mentioned it and recommended it as well, I'll be sure to give it a shot the next time I'm at the DZ.

Keep 'em coming!

2 ways are where it's at bro. I hope you understand how dangerous the variance in speeds can be ie.. sit to belly. Homey is right about the torso being the largest wing that you are flying here. Makes since that if your torso is entirely vertical with the earth you would then be falling straight down. Give the torso an angle to deflect the air and your a traveller. Moving forward is similar to backsliding in the angle respect. It is pretty easy to backslide and inadvertantly go to your belly while still looking at your flying buddy as separation occurs. Sit flying should come easy, I mean, have'nt you been sitting on your ass kicking back for a lot of your life. Dude, I practice sitting on my ass everyday dreaming of flying! Similar to sit flying right? Work your posture bro, the better your posture the better you can fly!

I'm glad that people are hounding me on the belly transition, it's done a damn good job of driving the point home. It is not something I will do again on a sit jump.

I'm going to take a few solo jumps to work on sitting with my arms in the appropriate position as well as making the described directional changes. I learned to sit by analyzing videos and just trying things out, so I may have already picked up some bad habits. I've only made about 10 sit jumps ever, so I doubt that they're very deep. The folks I'm jumping with now are fairly skilled and have been around for a while, but I'm going to pick up a few jumps with coaches as well.

but I'm going to pick up a few jumps with coaches as well.

That's the best thing you can do bro, as well 2way, 2way, 2way, 2way, i can't say that enough.

Something that helped me immensly as well though was some advice from Eli Thompson when i coached with him.

When describing sit flying he said not to think of it like sitting in a chair, cos that only makes you want to ass fly. Your points of balance are your heels and under your arms.

So, to drive forward, be strong with your legs, drive your heels into the air flow, get your shoulders (not arms) back and point your hips and your pee pee where you wanna go. :D;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

You have access to some of the best coaches in the world...Mike Swanson, Jon Devore, Eli Tompson, Cisco Neri, John Chisholm...use them and their cameras for a couple of jumps. Then take what they give you and practice on solos, 2ways, LO jumps etc.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I'd just like to add my two cents..

Remember way back in AFF :P(which I am assuming you did since you're down in CA) when they had you do back flips and barrel rolls to practice regaining stability? Practice that in your sit! Its a really great skill to have that helps you learn to deal with corking-out. So induce some instability on your next solo and fool around with that. Try some cartwheels and back-flips.

And the advice you got on moving forward is great.B|

One more word of advice, try to resist the temptation to do more than a two way. You will learn so much more on a two way (ideally with someone more experienced than yourself,) than you would on a three way. It's safer, it's easier to focus and so much more can be accomplished. :)
Oh.. and the Australian Parachute Federation has a great beginners freefly manual that is free. It introduces you to the terms, freefly safety and provides some basic structure for learning to freefly. Its awesome.

http://www.apf.asn.au/Documents/Publications/freefly.pdf

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Hi,

It's worth being aware that when you try and move forward in a sit you'll have the tendency to 'pop up' a little, by that i mean reduce your fall rate due to the increased surface area you're using to move you forward. Try pushing your feet down into the air flow when you initiate the move, like you're about to go into stand but you don't quite go all the way!

hope that makes some sense, it's always been true for me.:)

Da wedge be happn'n dis sun.mon.teus. ya. Big Swell hit'n near ya. i be in it, south of ya if ya wanna go then post here. Bring camera if ya hav'nt the balls to go out in it it'll be freak'n powerful to watch! Ya you could see some of my headown tricks combined with surfing. Some o' dem lips can really throw a man. Last big swell, went from the bottom to the lip at about 12 foot face to be flung in front of the face flying headown into shallow sandy reef to be pinned to the ocean floor for everlasting moments whilst being run over by the large wave to then stand up in kneedeep water to run for my life as another freight train of a wave was rearing up to swallow me whole once again. Love'n every moment! How this story helps with the young freeflyer? uhh, never give up on your passion!

It's definately the right time of the year for some big south swells to start making the Wedge pump.

I live pretty close to the Wedge, except for on big days...it can take hours to drive down the peninsula when pros are in town for big swells.

In high school and college I played water polo and would grab my Vipers and go out on big days...not anymore.

I run the rocks on the jeddy sometimes...its a great physical and mental workout...those rocks make you think fast or pay the price.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I've never seen the wedge pump'n. Would really like to go there,say next week after the swell has kicked my butt for a couple of days.I'll more than likely surf sandiego county between Solana Beach (seaside reef) up to San Clemente (old mans&the point). Looking forward to surfing 'the point' when the faces are 9-12 feet walling lines reeling and connecting with the inside from over 400 yards out again. Jumping in San diego saturday. Surf trip sunday, monday, teusday, wednesday. I could be in your area teus.or wed. (running rocks)The greatest excercise is when you enjoy how and where you are as well as having some adrenaline topping it off! I seem to be drawn to the sports where'paying the price' is ever present.The price I will hopefully not have to pay much of is 'the wave tax'. I'm hoping to have atleast an 80% success rate in the big swell.meaning that wave for wave only 20% will be the 'no shit, there I was, thought i was going to die' feelings. Wash up on the beach,rest, and paddle back out for more.

Skills camps are a good way to get SOME skill. Skills camps are also a good way to meet others ,such as coaches and people of similar interest. Skills camps usually cost less than coaching for your entertainment dollar.Chris F puts on a great skills camp at Elsinore, has been for 3 or 4 years there now. If I were you I'd be there!

I tried it out on two solos last week and found myself able to do it part of the time... and backflipping the rest. Not discouraged though, I have a long way to go. I plan on getting coaching as soon as the wallet allows... be it tunnel or freefall.