marks

The future of freeflying is here.

I think that was posted in a thread a while ago. But yes,...its amazing. After seeing that my love of freeflying stepped up a notch. I really hope vrw 4way becomes an official event at competitions and the world meet.

In my opinion being able to compete in vrw 4way is probably the epitome of flying skill and control. And damn it looks cool.

I really hope this doesn't mean freeflying will eventualy become mostly honing your head-up and headdown skills to perfection so you can turn points faster.

Don't get me wrong- that is some sick stuff going on there. Bending-down-picking-up-my-jaw kinda sick, just so we're clear. But to me it also carries a possibility of people focusing on evolving the discipline horizontally instead of vertically (no pun intended), especially if 4-way vrw is classified as formation skydiving instead of an artistic discipline. Which I suppose is not that bad, as long as we don't forget freeflying should be about flying your body however you can imagine...so let's not let anything limit our imagination.

i spoke to eric about this artistic thing. he stated that they like to get a good lead in the early rounds so they can slow it down later in the comps and make it "look" pretty.;)

you should see some of the vids at atlanta freeflight. they have gotten better since then.

not uncommon to get 14 points in 30 seconds!:o

> I really hope this doesn't mean freeflying
> will eventualy become mostly honing your
> head-up and headdown skills to perfection

I would hope that the pursuit of "honed skills" is most of what freeflying is now... I think we've all been on enough zoo dives to realize that people with "honed skills" have the ability to be safer in freefall.

...and in response to any critics of the alledged lack of creativity in VRW, I would say these people haven't actually flown the dives in the divepool. These formations are *made* to be "cheated", and that takes a lot of creativity. :-)

-Eric

PS. There are more videos online here:

http://www.atlantafreeflight.com/vrw4way/comp1/
http://www.atlantafreeflight.com/vrw4way/comp2/

Enjoy!

Different types of creativity.....

Creative solutions.....like a carpenter or programmer

Creative beauty.....Like a dancer or musician

Whatever.....those 4 ways looks sick and i can appreciate the skills and "creativity" but still I know where the critics are coming from.

I like "artistic" in the sense of pretty shit. I would really love to see that style with 4 people.

But who cares.....each their own.I personally could do neither myself...but i know what id like to watch videos of around the bar.
Yahoo Serious

The great thing about VRW 4way is that it gives a real measurable level of skill. It is not so much about looking good as it is flying ability. Team A vs. Team B, doing the same moves in the same amount of time. Plain and simple, whoever completes more formations in 35 seconds is the best team. With artistic freeflying, the moves that are the hardest may not look the prettiest and the moves that are easy might look awesome. So, depending on what the judges are looking for in that particular comp, a team may win and not necessarily have the most skill. Which is fine, but just a different level of competition.

VRW 4way is extremely challenging and very humbling when you find out how difficult it is to do well. It really tests your flying abilities in a way that artistic flying doesn't.

In no way am I saying that artistic flying takes no skill, or that one is harder/cooler/more challenging than the other. I am just saying that this is the next level of measurable skill in freeflying and the next step in competition.

Kudos to the people who are bringing this to light and holding competitions. It is exciting to see and I am proud to be a part of it, even if I did come in last in my first competition.;)

With artistic freeflying,

that would be called freestyle.;)

In no way am I saying that artistic flying takes no skill, or that one is harder/cooler/more challenging than the other. I am just saying that this is the next level of measurable skill in freeflying and the next step in competition.

c'mon chris, don't disclaimer yourself. be yourself tell us how you really feel!:P

"In no way am I saying that artistic flying...is cooler... than the other"

I would LOL WAAYY WWAAAAAYYYYY cooler hahaha

The difference is like listening to someone playing scales dazzling fast and clean compared to someone playing actual music. The technique is just a vehicle.

IMJ(AckAsS)O A good flier/team like a good muso has got it all....brilliant technique to pull off brilliant inventions.

Ok i better shutup now hehe

Is it pretty much one or the other for the people out there actually doing them? Or are there people interested in both ??

When people say that this is the future of comp do they mean this will replace artistic ??
Yahoo Serious

So there will still be freaks making beautiful poetry in motion for me to cream my pants over ??

Its all good then...... lol

My fave jumps myself are two ways tooling around no plan. It may be more ass than class but every now and then you have a great jump.

Punk rock freefly --- fuck all skills and all the thrills.

If I had the money I'd love to really explore improv freefly.......technical like jazz.
Yahoo Serious

check out this video.
it is long, so be patient.
and check out other vids at, atlanta freeflight.

Brilliant and definitely impressive... It looks like VRW, big HD ways and complex Atmonauti jumps will be the way of the future...
As for the artistic side of things, I think VRW is probably going to end up focusing on points more than aesthetics, but like in 'flat' RW, when airspeed tear through the sky with record number of points... it ends up looking beautiful.

(p.s. I am not a noodle-flyer)

Benji

Brilliant and definitely impressive... It looks like VRW, big HD ways and complex Atmonauti jumps will be the way of the future...
As for the artistic side of things, I think VRW is probably going to end up focusing on points more than aesthetics, but like in 'flat' RW, when airspeed tear through the sky with record number of points... it ends up looking beautiful.

(p.s. I am not a noodle-flyer)

Benji

Why only big way HD? Head up big ways are the next, even greater challenge, and will be the benchmark for knowing when the discipline has taken the next large progression.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Why only big way HD? Head up big ways are the next, even greater challenge, and will be the benchmark for knowing when the discipline has taken the next large progression.

Yup, that also, how could I have been so light-headed and forgotten head up formations :)I don't feel one is more of a 'benchmark' than the others. They are all part of a anti-static evolution opening even wider the skies to unlimited options.
:)

but like in 'flat' RW, when airspeed tear through the sky with record number of points... it ends up looking beautiful.

True dat!

I agree..

I was talking to some of my friends that have been around skydiving longer (or just more involved) than me and basically we are seeing the same progression as what was going on with formation skydiving.

First it was just cool to jump out of an airplane
Then people started passing objects in freefall
Then people started linking up
Then people started building larger and larger formations.
Then people started turning points
etc etc

VRW is a natural evolution from where freeflying started. the creative / artistic will always be there, so will the big ways, and so will VRW... it all displays amazing skills on the flyers.
VRW will evolve into 8 ways turning points, the bigways will hit 100+ people, and artistic will be around, cause people will continue to create new moves and disciplines..

The possibilities are endless..

I'm so excited to see so many people talking, training and dreaming about this event - it's been my dream now in motion!! Simply amazing!

Just an update - Eric Deren, Dennis Cowhey & myself are busy working on all the updates (there's new moves, updated rules, etc) for the web-site, www.vrw4way.com. ~~ And of course special thanks to all participating in the events & those making it all happen!!

The upcoming dates for competitions are:

April 15-16 Perris Valley
August 19-20 Skydive Chicago (up to $10K prize money)

Now stop talking & start training (or whatever you like to do)!

~melissa~

I'm so excited to see so many people talking, training and dreaming about this event - it's been my dream now in motion!! Simply amazing!

Just an update - Eric Deren, Dennis Cowhey & myself are busy working on all the updates (there's new moves, updated rules, etc) for the web-site, www.vrw4way.com. ~~ And of course special thanks to all participating in the events & those making it all happen!!

The upcoming dates for competitions are:

April 15-16 Perris Valley
August 19-20 Skydive Chicago (up to $10K prize money)

Now stop talking & start training (or whatever you like to do)!

~melissa~

i like to talk:S, i train alone.:|

it drives eric crazy!:D

As for the future of freeflying, I'm sure that bigger and better prize money would be the one of the biggest hopes of hardcore freeflier competitors.

"August 19-20 Skydive Chicago (up to $10K prize money) "

Love ya work
Yahoo Serious

hey losty how is it going mate?

@all: about the 4 way competitions - we had super nice 4 way competition going on this year in august here at www.skydivetortuga.com during the SPACE GAMES 15 (i love em!) (12k USD price money!!)

it was awesome!
1st place was the freefly circus (olavs team)
2nd place was ? (with jeffro from az flight club, ...)

those 2 choreographys were bad ass!!!!! they were turning points like crazy and then making awesome 3d figures, ...

1st place:

http://www.skydivetortuga.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=118&lang=en

2nd place:

http://www.skydivetortuga.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=147&page=view&catid=6&PageNo=17&key=145&hit=1&lang=en

http://www.skydivetortuga.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=147&page=view&catid=6&PageNo=17&key=146&hit=1&lang=en

http://www.skydivetortuga.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=147&page=view&catid=6&PageNo=17&key=144&hit=1&lang=en

you can see all the photos on www.skydivetortuga.com - so train and come for space games 16 in 2006! (last year 4 way challenge 1st place was 3.000 USD)

but yes - this is not all in freeflying. fly free - track - chase your shadow on clouds - turn points vertical - its up to us. what a wonderful thing.

barbara

Whilst I dont see myself going crazy for this type of flying.......its pretty amazing to watch and the fact that points can be turned in ALL dimensions.......simply knocks ths spots of 4 way RW

If this develops .....its going to be infinately more 'watchable' than 4 Way RW........in fcat (if you will excuse the pun) it'll make 4 way RW look kinda.....'flat'

Not just because its freeflying turning points.........but because its total body flight.....points turned on all axis....

That said....its not the straw that stirs my drink.....going out freeflying , doing what I feel like as well as progressing my total body flight skills in a fun environment.....is my thang'
Start making it competitive......and it definatley loses something

No flaming now......I love flat flying ...really....I do it at least once on every jump ;)