Mush

WOT no helmet

I'm about to start jumping again after 3 months off, I jump in France & will only be doing solo FF jumps, I have done 9 sit jumps & love it, what numbers are needed to jump w/o a helmet on solo's.

It's something I want to do so any advice would be great.

I have a pro dytter

Mush

My take on helmets:

1) dytter holder
2) some protection if you hit your head on the plane
3) possibly some mid-air collision protection if someone kicks you in the head.

Just curious as to why you feel that a helmet is so useless.? Of course if you don't pull and slam into the ground at 160, well, it isn't going to do you much good... but they are functional in ways.

Angela.

Don't get me wrong, dytters can be attached to your goggles, if i'm coming in large it's gonna hurt all over, I was talking about solos, the frap hat serves no use what so ever, so why wear one, thousands do??????

If I'm jumping a 2W a helmet is a good idea, When I jump my Porter in a sit I go nowhere near the wing or tail.

my dz has very little bumpy stuff to knock into so I was only asking for advice.

what is everyones prob with this.

My dz is closed for another 2 weeks, when I jumped in the UK it was w/o a cypress aswell (I have no issues with that).

I jump with a %^*"*$£ helmet, it will keep off flys & stuff (like 98% of all the other helmets out there) but I have no faith in it, why do I jump it, looks cool, conforms to certian stuff.

But I have other issues to contend with, doing the right thing when it counts, it's on my head for show, why not do solo's without is the question?

what is everyones prob with this.

Hmmmm.....perhaps it's not a problem, but if you're in the wrong situation, it can really become one. Sure, just like you said, we can die doing this. But the question is, how do people die skydiving? Corking? Helmets prevent deaths there. Low turns? Helmets save lives there too. Seeing a pattern? You're head is important, keep it safe.

Myself, I always wear a helmet, no exceptions. I feel that my helmet has already saved my life a few times, and even if I'm wrong on that, it's kept my head much prettier. B|

So here are the questions at hand:

1. How many freefly jumps do you have? (Yes it matters and there's a reason I'm asking)

2. Why are you wanting to jump without a helmet?

3. Why does it matter that you have an audible? (You should NEVER get in the habit of relying on it, especially if you don't have a cypress.....)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

sounds like you already made your decision

That's my thought.

I don't always wear a helmet (as my avatar clearly shows), but I think that they are a great thing to have and use. Even when doing solos. The reason you'll see me do some H&Ps while not wearing a helmet is purely a comfort thing in the Texas summer.

If I'm doing freefall, its on my head, especially if its with groups (even another person). If I'm instructing, its on my head. Infact, 97% of the time, I'm wearing a helmet.

Why?

Well, if I botch a swoop, the helmet won't help me out too much. However, if I get kicked in freefall (its happened to me more then once), it protects my noggin. If I hit my head on the plane. It helps protect my noggin. If I'm in a plane crash...it protects my noggin (yes, that has actually happened to me and yes I was wearing my helmet).

So basically, my rule of thumb is to wear one. Its just occasionally that I don't.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

where the fuck else am i supposed to mount my cameras!!!!:P

seriously though, i didnt wear a helmet for a long time, i still dont like wearing them, but now i consider it a necessary peice of gear, more so then and altimeter

if anything it WILL help save your hearing(if only slightly)

First, nobody has commented on one of the best reasons to always wear a helmet - landings. Solo or 300 way, eventually you gotta land, and landings don't always go as planned. And I'm not talking about hookin' it in, I'm talking about stumbling and banging your head on a rock, ashphalt, etc.

Second, helmets are cool now...you don't get any "lay me" points for jumping without one like 10 years ago.

Wear a helmet.

Canuck

My SIM's in the car and I'm too lazy to dig it out right now... but it seems I recall something about students being required to wear a rigid helmet until they get their A licence.

I'd recommend honoring whatever the requirements are in your area. I have no idea what the French require. It's your job to know that, not mine.

If you've met those requirements, knock yourself out... I mean... go for it ;), and have fun!

What's the weather like there? Cold? Reason enough for me to wear one... but hey... everyone gets to do what they want...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I understand what your saying & I agree with all the saftey issues involved.

I think I'd like to try it for the feeling of doing it, there are lots of things in this sport that will get ya if not done properly, shit happens sometimes, but I wont let that stop me doing stuff provided that I have the right information at hand & I have made a decision wether to go with it or not.

"helmets are cool now...you don't get any "lay me" points for jumping without one like 10 years ago."

I don't jump for anybody else, I did aff alone, don't really talk to whffo's about it, done a few jumps with mate's, the rest are solo's, I come home after a few jumps & smile to myself.

I like my helmet, looks cool & stuff, but I woulden't mind trying a jump without it, the cypress is cool & saves many lives but I have jumped without one, students are told not to worry if thier aad is not activated, just be aware.

If I can I will, I would just like some info, things to look out for, a little advice.

Mush

If I can I will, I would just like some info, things to look out for, a little advice.

If your hair is long it will not be fun to comb/brush out after jumping without a helmet. Especially if you do it more than once between brushings.

You'll be surprised how much louder freefall is without a helmet.

Make sure your goggles are on tight.

I haven't jumped without a helmet in a few years - did quite a few belly RW jumps without one (and with a round reserve and no altimeter and no AAD! I should be dead ;)) when I was broke. Just stay aware of the fact that you don't have head protection, and accept the risks that not wearing it adds to your skydive.

It's kinda fun to feel the wind all over your head. :)

I had an accident very early on in my skydiving career. My helmet got a crack in it and was very scratched up. I had other injuries, but I didn't have any head trauma, thanks to my helmet. You never know when you're going to have a bad landing. I know 2 experienced skydivers who took downwinders through the desert last week and left long skidmarks in the dirt. I've made 1 jump out of a hot air balloon without a helmet, but that will be the exception.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I understand what your saying & with my only 50 odd jumps I hear you loud & clear.

I dont believe in taking risks just because they are there, I plan on doing jumps without an alti, without goggles, without a helmet (not the same time :S ) on pre planned jumps knowing full well the additional risks involved & in stable conditions.

Quote from Hooknswoop

"What has all this given me? I don't panic when it gets ugly. I depend on me when things get hairy. I am prepared to do whatever needs to be done in a stressful situation. I am comfortable relying on my own abilities to get me out of any situation I get into. An AAD, altimeter, helmet, etc do make me safer, but I can function without them and knowing that gives me confidence that helps me manage my fears and stress when things aren't going as planned. When crunch time comes, I don't any shred of doubt that I can handle it, and that allows me to focus on the solution to the problem."

This was after pre planned dives without stuff, I don't compair myself to his skill level but we must all start somewhere.

when someone asks me in the future, I can give an honest pro's & con's answer, not the are you stupid, why would you want to do that, you MIGHT hit the plane or the ground with your head type of answer.

If a student asks me I will have the experience to inform them of the diffrences in what they will feel & to deal with them in an controlled stable manner

I started skydiving to grow as a person, I feel education is a great key, if ever the time came when someone asked me such a question & reacted in a clam manner & sorted out a problem because of my experienced reply I would die a happy man.

I diden't think there was too much dirt in the desert B| or was that just a saying :$

Mush

Greetings and all of that other sheet!

I guess that my reasons for jumping with a helmet is that in case of a riser slapping/grabbing my head then I want to keep my ears on my head & not watch them go off into the sunset. Plus it keeps my protraks in place, holds my goggles on etc.

Just my 2 cents worth!

yahoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Haven't seen to many jumpers without ears, you can attach your stuff to your goggles, tighten them up a bit & you'll be just fine, besides, the riser slaps I have seen have caught people on the cheek, just out of intrest, how many people do YOU know that lost ears through jumping without a helmet????

Names & stuff would be reall helpful here, I need all the advice I can get.

Mush