Mush

WOT no helmet

after 3 months off ..... I have done 9 sit jumps

if your used to flat flying, a freefly dive can get away from you. Your internal clock has to be reprogammed. Use that dytter.

I loaned a guy my helmet and dytter once because he didn't have one and I was done for the weekend. He put it in his trunk. Next day - Cypress fire and two canories out. And he is an experienced skydiver. Lesson to be learned there perhaps.

Good times and take it deep!

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Next day - Cypress fire and two canories out. And he is an experienced skydiver. Lesson to be learned there perhaps.

Yeah, if he didn't have a Cypres, he would have only had one canopy out...:P

[dons flameproof underwear]
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Nice one, yes I am used to flying flat but love FF, I think if I did decide to to try these jumps I would go flat, It's safer for me & It's what I know, besides, It's nice to know you read the thread properley :)
& ChileRelleno, It's nice to know there is a Troll Monitor out there, you must be proud of that title, but, for your information, I have done many good things with my life, I can walk around with my head high & resent the fact that you said I smelled like a Troll, if you feel worthy of the "Troll Monitor Title" try weeding us out by asking informed & experienced questions & not just butting in like a idiot, (not saying your an idiot, you just come accross like one), Chill-Relleno.

Any further advice would would be nice :S

We had a girl at our dz that had several hundred jumps and good at freeflying. However, she jumped out of the plane and hit the back of her head on the plane. It knocked her out. Her cypress fired and she landed in a tree. Please wear a helmet....

JennyB

Please read above posts, (there not that far away) I said Iwould do these jumps flat, it's safer for me, it's what I know.

If you done all of your training & were about to take your first jump & all of a sudden you thought, OMG, what if.

If you were sitting in a (skydiving) bar talking & thought, what if.

Woulden't you really like to talk a person who has the information you require.

If you have jumped without any of the aboved mentioned saftey devices please post you details.

I am an all grown up person, I know the dangers, I was only looking for some advice to combat them.

If I decide to further my education in this sport it's my own decision of the risks involved wether to proceed or not.

Quality answers please.

Mush

jumped out of the plane and hit the back of her head on the plane. It knocked her out. Her cypress fired and she landed in a tree.

That's sick. Dytter reads exit at 13,500 and deployment at 750. Freefly angels were watchin over her.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Well, I think you are being a jerk. You started this thread asking for advice and comments. As soon as someone does that, you just fire back some smart-ass comment.

You have already made up your mind that you will jump without a helmet and obviously have formed your opinions. I thought her comment was totallt relevant and your reply was totally uncalled for.

Point taken.

Sorry JennyB, no jerkyness intended, I just come across diffrent in type, if I came across as an ass I'm sorry, I can see why you are concerned, :$ .

But Chris, I was looking for advice ON jumping without a helmet rather than why NOT, did you think I'd just go & try it for myself without asking for advice, that would be stupid, or forward thinking for some, take your pick, I have tried a few things without advice, so I will rephrase the question

Question:

I know the dangers of jumping without a helmet, head strikes on the plane, loseing my goggles to which my dytter was attached & then my alti falling off, not relying on my cypress, riser strikes (KEEP hold of your ears at pull time people, someone told me they could fly off), bad landings, being landed on while walking back to the hanger, this jump will be flat & solo, If I have missed anything would somebody inform me,
I am looking for any advice on precautions to be taken while jumping without a helmet & what to expect in freefall.

This will be a on contemplated jump so as to experience the feeling of a helmetless jump & not get too buzzed if I loose my helmet my goggles to which my dytter was attached & then my alti falling off, still not relying on my cypress at 4000ft, not to say it can't happen at any altitude, I will inform every body at the DZ of what I am about to do so as not to cause any concern to anybody who may have thought I'd forgoten my helmet.

"You have already made up your mind that you will jump without a helmet and obviously have formed your opinions."

NO, my opinion is to ask for advice from someone like yourself (only if you have jumped without a helmet that is) of what to do & not keep repeating myself to people who diden't get the question, if I may Chris, please read my replys, I was only asking what to do/expect, I will now check every reply I made & if I am wrong I will apologies to you for my mistake :) , What if I'm not wrong though Chris :o

Mush

Just read my original post Chris, just read all my replys, just read my reply to JennyB (sorry Jenny but I did state I would go flat & informed for these jumps which means I would be taking extra care & stuff prior to you post & diden't mean to jump on ya, thanks for the concern).

So Chris, where do we go from here ? >:(

did you think I'd just go & try it for myself without asking for advice

Sure why not? It's your head. Though I jump with a helmut for lots of good reasons, I've done plenty with out. That's also part of the reason I don't go with out anymore.

There is no science behind jumping with out a helmut. Oh, I suppose that I have to say don't hit your head out the door, and land well. Not too scientific huh?

There's a lot of Dialogue saying the same things. It's up to you, jump with it or don't.

Harley riders argue about helmuts and dissed the helmut law. I know for a fact it's dumb to ride with out one. That's a bit more extreme than skydiving with out one but keep in mind, I've watched serious head smackage against the ground during landings.

Use your head but not as a bumper

Cheers
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I don't think there is any right or wrong here. And I certainly don't have any problem with you or feel like we need to resolve anything. No worries with me! I just felt as though you were being a bit unfair to some people when they were just adding their opinion or knowledge.

Please read above posts, (there not that far away)

Quality answers please.

I understand you weren't asking about the dangers of not wearing a helmet, but I think they are good reasons to consider if you want to know about not wearing one.

So, to answer your question- I made about 100 jumps without a helmet back when I had about 100-200 jumps. Didn't do anything for me and I started wearing a helmet again when I had a couple 'bumps'. As far as solos, I now wear a helmet on every jump because I want to have head protection if I land hard. Either because of a landing mistake or under a entanglement or something. So it wouldn't matter if it was solo or not. But then again, I won't ride a bicycle without a helmet either.

So, what to expect? I guess it will feel like it does when you stick your head out the car window.

Precautions? Make sure your goggles are on tighter than normal. A helmet helps hold them down.

Hope that helps!

...Either because of a landing mistake or under a entanglement or something.

Good point. That occured to me but Ididn't give it much thought. Lets talk about unstable cutaways and reserve deployments.

My only unstable reserve deployment was during a test jump where I made no attempt to stabilize prior to reserve activation.

The freebag passed right next to my head and part way in front of my face. I pushed the lines away as I rolled over. The lines and risers did contact my helmut. Up until now I wouldn't have thought about it.

Unstable reserve deployments are a bit more common than you may expect.

Just something else to add to the thought collection.

Me neither, there was no need to call me a jerk either, was there, you can't even admit you over reacted a little, must come from being in freefly TEAM.

Your advice comeing from someone in a Freefly Team called BadFish to a new flyer sucked.

& hookitt, your right, it's not a science, but both of your experience counts a long way on here.

Way to go guys, you really out did yourself's tonight.

Besides, I bet you two were rotting tooing no chut jumping hard core skydivers at 50 jumps who would take no advice & JUST DO IT type of guy's right, or were ya intrested in stupid questions like me????

Mush

Besides, I bet you two were rotting tooing no chut jumping hard core skydivers at 50 jumps who would take no advice & JUST DO IT type of guy's right, or were ya intrested in stupid questions like me????

Do you mean Rootin tootin? as in cowboy:P I'm originally from Montana. Does that count?

There was no internet when I started jumping so it was much more difficult to over think every thing ;)

People tend to get along better in real life for the very same reason.

---
edit: uh oh.. I better add this:$ I'm not dissing the internet, it's quite useful.

I know what you mean, on the internet & stuff It all gets fucked up, stick us all in a bar, loads of beer & Tequila(had to look at an empty bottle for spelling B| ) and good party will be had by all, & a friend or two for life. we will do beers one day bro & laugh in the face of the cyber generation [:/].

Mush

I guess I am just not following you. I thought my last post was an obvious attempt to see eye to eye. The jerk comment was probably uncalled for and now, I actually wish I had never posted here at all. It was a knee-jerk reaction to something and I regret it. I am sorry.

But I am not sure why you continue to be sarcastic or what your comments about being on a "team" are all about. Guess I just don't follow you and what you want out of this. I apologize if I have misunderstood anything.

I'm glad you all have resolved this, you had me worried I was going to have to use some of my magic buttons for awhile.

edit: I hope I haven't spoken too soon.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think hookitt said it all, it's the internet, personalties get lost, nice one hookitt for reminding us of that, beer due.

Chris, you can't go around calling someone a jerk on a web site for thier replys, mine wasen't that bad to the Lady in question, you are in a team so that makes you an ambassador of the sport, calling someone a jerk may make you feel good on the internet, but in persone I am in the zero tollerence trade of being insulted, & you would know it, you would have to think twice about insulting me in persone for no good reason, not sure your the type of bloke I'd like to buy a beer & chill with, but hey, this is the internet & I could have got you all wrong.

Next time I see your at a dz near me we'll have a chat & loads of beer & find out we have a lot in common & party, if that ok with you.

Right on!

I made a bad call. I apologize.

It is not my character to do something like that. Guess I was just in a mod last night, and didn't think it out. My emotions have been running high these last few months.

Definitely look me up if you get the chance. I would like to meet you, shake your hand and apologize in person.

Shake you hand, you gotta be jokeing.

I'll stick a beer in it first then shake it, then we can go up & you can show me some cool moves, & when I'm ready for a 3way we'll fly hookett in & we can party, how does that sound guy's :)
Mush