hkf

When did you start Free Flying

I won't lie... I started way too early by alot of peoples standards... I've got video of a 4-way sit with my best friends at jump 14. The thing is I was in a unique position to have really close friends that were already experienced freeflyers. Also, I worked with the guys that I started jumping with at an 'extreme' amusement park. I already had alot of experience remaining calm in intense situations with these exact same people. They had talked to me the whole way through my AFF and when I graduated they just couldn't wait to show me how to fly!!!
God bless freeflying!

Chaps

I also wanted to say that I just felt comfortable right off the back. I graduated aff in 6 jumps. Everyone is different. You know if you're ready. If you aren't sure... you're not! Don't be TOO stupid!
Carpe diem

... Older people tend to be less relaxed and "panicky" than younger ones.

What an idiotic statement!:P

One made from your vast experience I assume.

I assume that you're feeling pissed because you are one of the "older" ones?

It's an idiotic statement to call that an idiotic statement.:P

Say whatever you may, in sports like skydiving or e.g. scuba diving, wind surfing, etc., the younger ones learn to relax and move around a lot faster. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.
Now do you really need "experience" to observe that?

BTW panicky is in quoetes for lack of another word that fits. Lets unrelaxed.

... Older people tend to be less relaxed and "panicky" than younger ones.

What an idiotic statement!:P

One made from your vast experience I assume.

I assume that you're feeling pissed because you are one of the "older" ones?

It's an idiotic statement to call that an idiotic statement.:P

Say whatever you may, in sports like skydiving or e.g. scuba diving, wind surfing, etc., the younger ones learn to relax and move around a lot faster. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

BTW panicky is in quoetes for lack of another word that fits. Lets unrelaxed.

you ASS U ME too much! LOL! :P

My first sit-fly attempt was only a few jumps off of AFF. I tried on and off after that and then finally got serious about it with an experienced flyer at like jump 28 and was sitting by jump 31 (in an odd position, mind you) :) i've doubled my jumps since then doing almost all sit fly jumps, and i'm still learning. I'm finally going a bit faster i'm told, and i'm getting better position, tho still leaning forward on occassion and need work on that. I also can make turns and keep a heading, but i'm not really sure how i'm turning at this point, I just know that I can follow. It's weird and awesome!

Angela.

What are peoples thoughts on when it is a good time to start freeflying. I see a lot of people with way under 100 jumps wanting to start, and personally think it is way to soon.
I started at just over 200 jumps, and whilst my head up is now very good, I feel I am not so good on my belly as I didn't really consolidate what I learned in Skydive u before moving on.

Why do you need to be good on your belly? Can you track? Can you turn? Can you stay stable? There ya go, you're good on your belly (good enough to freefly:o) ) :P

Angela.

I was being sarcastic..... i.e.. the only time I would want to be on my belly in a skydiving....is when I had to pull.

right, exactly, and we all have to pull - on every jump.

Being comfortable and stable on your belly, means being comfortable and stable at pull time.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Why do you need to be good on your belly?

You don't. Just basic skills are sufficient. HOWEVER check out this posted by Chrissky and my response:

Chrissky

I share your opinion that people should train their belly skills first to a degree where one can rely on them beeing able to hold level, track and have a general sense for where people are around them. This "Radar" is more easily buildt on "slower", 2D dives while increasing the number of people around...

My response:

Amen. The exact reason I try and discourage freeflying with low jump numbers. It's not that I don't think the person can't learn to FF without flatflying, but rather that they learn to spot bad situations at slower speeds (hopefully) and hone their "Radar skills" as you put it.

Those are valid reasons, but don't require that the individual have any sort of "airspeed" belly skills. It's more a matter of learning to spot shitty situations in their infancy and making sure you aren't caught in the cross fire. This requires awareness (built over time) and experience (once again time is necessary).

If a person is at that level I can't see any reason to try and discourage them from FF'ing early.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Since I have scuba dived and jumped since I was 22 (I'm now 48) I have the experience to say your observation that older people are a lot more "panicky" is whacked. You on the other hand, have made your observation over a period of what time? A few months? a year or two? Come one, give me a break. Your original statement that older people are more panicky than younger ones is just is just what I said it was ... "idiotic".

Funny, I doubt you'll be convinced you may have judged too hastely. You appear to know it all way too soon.

Since this seems to be bothering you so much that you replied to your own reply, here's another clarification. I have been scuba diving since I was 13, and at some point spent 5 years as a diving instructor (2 of which full time). Judging from your other replies, I am sure you'll try something to the effect of 2-5 years of teaching 5 people/week does not give me enough observation. It's getting boring really.
As for skydiving I am very close to a few instructors and coaches that say the same thing over and over. As for e.g. windsurfing, spent enough time around a huge windsurfing school with my cousin (instructor) to know it's the same there, too.
Maybe you should read the post properly though, and what I mean by panicky (in quotes).
But it is obvious you relate to the older generation (that has also started skydiving older) and that's why all this is pissing you off. Understandable Mr. Phelps, but please spare me that "idiocy" ;).

I started at like jump 20 and sucked. I found it vey hard to stay in dives. I then lost 30 lbs and it got soooo much easier. These little wirey aholes got it easy. Weight means a lot in Freeflying.

The best speed is being there... and whether you're a big buffalo or a "little wirey ahole" you will have to work to stay relative. I fall on the other end of the spectrum at 105 pounds, and when I started everyone was always like, "Come on! Go faster! Go faster!" It was a matter of technique and skills to speed up, and informing the people who fly at supersonic speeds because of inexperience that they also have to find a happy medium with me.

I love freeflying because I don't have to wear 20 pounds of weight to jump with others. Weight means less than body position, awareness, and skill in freeflying, which are actually things people can work on and improve. I couldn't gain 30 pounds if I tried (and I've tried!)
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Ah Shrew, I'm not PO at you. I just don't like assumptions in ANYTHING. You know, like when Dusty Baker (then mgr of SF Giants) said white guys quit when it gets hot in baseball,but blacks and hispanics don't. I'm sure he's seen enough to make him believe that, just as you have seen enough old foggies get "panicky". It just rubs me the wrong way when we lump people together as groups and judge them unfairly. I've seen people lump bikers, skydivers and others as bad breeds because they have seen the 1%ers.

Oh well, off my soap box. No hard feelings. I just wish you'd take the time to realize that its not accurate to say what you said. Have a great day and may your skies always be blue!

the old fart

sitfly jump#13.
Did solo belly for 8,9.
belly coaching 10,11,12. I was already docking and in total control so my coach said this belly coaching stuff is for people who need help, go do whatever you want. So I went sitflying. Never looked back :D.
Moral of the story: Everybody learns at there own pace. Some need 500 belly jumps and some need 3. There is no magic number to start freeflying, only a required set of skills that should be obtained before getting verticle.

i didnt start freeflying till i had about 900-1000 jumps.... i got kinda behind the curve... but when i started there werent any freeflyers.... so it was difficult to learn anything,.....

but i think im doing ok now..... not a pro but i wont kill anyone..... although somtimes i feel like a target;)

What are peoples thoughts on when it is a good time to start freeflying. I see a lot of people with way under 100 jumps wanting to start, and personally think it is way to soon.
I started at just over 200 jumps, and whilst my head up is now very good, I feel I am not so good on my belly as I didn't really consolidate what I learned in Skydive u before moving on.

I made my first free fly jump on AFF, I'm on #24 and fine tuning my head down.. BUT
I'm a wind tunnel flyer... so in my opinion, do it just above the ground before you do it risking your life!!!
Take a vacation, go to a tunnel, it's worth it!! Check out my site if you don't know where to go!

I did my first head up at 18 jumps and right after that I worked on a bunch of tracking dives to get more confortable getting away from my coach and others on my FF jumps. It also got me hooked on tracking dives!!:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...