superstu

i'm just not gettting it

i've been trying for a while now to go head down. i can do a sit/stand perfect all the time now and can do cartwheels and all that, but as soon as i try head down i don't even come close. i've tried going to the pool to see how it feels but it didn't really help all that much. basically what happens is right when i go into the position i go on my back looking up side down but am not in the correct position. i think i need to relax more but i have no clue where else to start. any suggestions?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Arh, how I remember the days.

I remember an AD in TN gave me advise about it when I could hold it for a very short period of time, first piece of advie was get an audible, which I reluctantly did even thought I didn't think it was so important at the time. Now I'm glad I did, it seems to be a lot eaiser for people to lose altitude awareness when veritcal

Second was relax, be rigid but relaxed, didn't make much sense at the time, but focus on hanging from your legs, and that should get you pretty close.

Third was, get experienced people to go with you. It sure helps to have somebody tell you what you can improve on, especially when they have video.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Yep, what Spy said... go up there with someone very experienced - a coach - and get yourself on video. If your head-up flying is solid, transitions are good and you won't cork if/when you can't hold the H/D position... then you're ready to trans to H/D flying, but you can still be a missile on your back and track very quickly into someone who can't get out of the way.

Video will definitely help with the next couple attempts... you will get it, we've all been there man.

Keep trying, but be patient and safe!

Cheers,
CanEHdian
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

I agree with the 2 guys above. Coaching coaching coaching. It may cost to start with, but getting basics helps so much, and will help you in the long run. A good grounding and philosophy helped me loads, try to find the best jumpers / coaches you can. The guy who jumps for a ticket is helpful but not as much as someone who is pioneering the sport.

Apart from that, tracking is a big help too. If you can track on your front, take it steep then on to your back then bring it back, you will feel the air on your front and then back which helped me. Needless to say be careful tracking, track 90 degrees to jump run axis! Good luck mate.

Here is a tip I discovered doing solo headdowns that helped me. One of the main things you need is a visual reference.

There is a line where the sky meets the ground on the horizon. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

When you are headdown, look straight ahead. That line should be right in front of your eyes.

If you look straight ahead and the line is "above" where your looking, this means your flying on your back side. If you look straight ahead and that line is "below" where your looking, this means your flying on your front side.

Put that line straight in front of your eyes and follow your head.

hope this makes sense.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

BREATHING!!!!!!!!
the only way to start a free fly dive is with deep breaths during the count. not only you, but everybody. also i feel that for the count to breath while you have your hands go, up down, and then go out in out. but that may be to long for some people, so do what ever.
but only breathing isn't going to make your head down. listen to these other dudes.

I agree with 78rats. look at the horizon all the time, let the legs and the rest of the body "flail" behind your head.Feeling is like your head is the heaviest part of your body. And at the same time try to make as much drag with your legs as you can. Spread your legs as much as you can, it's hard but you have to keep them spreaded, and (this is important) don't forget to pull your feet up, so they are exposed to the wind too.
Practice in the pool is good only for the orientation and the feeling when inverted. While in the pool don't just be inverted. Do some turns, cartwheels, try to make it as complicated as you can. Pool really helped me with my orientation in HD.

i hope that helped a little :)

"George just lucky i guess!"

Have someone get you upside down by holding you by your shoulder straps. That way you will have experienced the feel of it. Then you can start trying to get in that position doing solos, and looking for the horizon line. I found that at exit, looking towards the back of the plain, and doing a sort of back flip out helps at first. If you have a buddy that can sit in front of you as reference, that's good practice for falling straight, but do a few solos first.
Also what worked great for me was singing really loud in freefall, it forces you to breath, and distracts just enough to make you relax.

I'm really no expert on flying hd (just beginning to grasp it myself), but the last time I attempted it (which was also the last time I jumped, curse the weather) it went amazingly well- because I dreamt about flying a stable hd the night before (I dream about skydiving at least once per night)- and when I jumped I managed to get into a postion that felt right- like the one in my dreams- and it worked- I almost zoomed right past my 1100m get stable-pull altitude. (One more reason to get an audible as soon as possible).
So if you know anything about lucid dreaming, try this. And another thing I find useful (easier to practice than lucid dreams, too) is headstands- you can try leaning your legs against a door or a wall if you can't hold your balance, just as long as you're getting used to the upside-down position and practicing looking forward instead of down. Hope you (as well as I) will master the hd soon.

Ok this may sound weird but if you have a hallway get a pillow and try doing some hand stands while using you legs and the walls to stabilize yourself, just don't break your neck!. But try to balance on your head since you are doing the same in the air. Also the key for me was doing 2 consecutive jumps in which i just closed my eyes an felt the air on both sides equally and then opening my eyes. The next jump I could actually stay head down and fly towards someone and stop relatively near them. Caution have an audible in case you get lost in the moment or whatever. Also someone mentioned the visual cue of the horizon, while this is true many times you'll think you are looking straight ahead while you actually compensating and back tracking and looking at the horizon as if you were perfectly headdown. Of course coaching is more productive. Hope that helps.
Later
Gabe

Becareful where you look for information about freeflying. Many people may understand how to get headdown, but are essentially still learning themselves. Look for advice from local, respected freefly coaches. Doing coach jumps will also help you tremendously and what you'll learn in one jump will save you dozens of solo jumps just trying to figure it out. If you'd like more info., I'd be glad to help.

missy
---
Missy Nelson
**Learning Never Stops**

Becareful where you look for information about freeflying. Many people may understand how to get headdown, but are essentially still learning themselves. Look for advice from local, respected freefly coaches. Doing coach jumps will also help you tremendously and what you'll learn in one jump will save you dozens of solo jumps just trying to figure it out. If you'd like more info., I'd be glad to help.

excellent advice! :) take care, be safe! happy thanks giving from haradh, saudia arabia.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Great post, Missy! We're always thrilled to add the advice of another great freeflier to the mix! I hope you continue to hang around here. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

A great tip I got from a very good freeflier was when practicing head down try to feel and become aware of air pressure on your legs front or back. Keep your hands and arms in a passive by your side position with the top of your hands facing the ground and primarily use your legs (stradle) position to "feel" for the air. When you don't feel much either way you're close to vertical. Keep your eyes on the horizon. Once you become comfortable and proficient try the "daffy" for fall rate control. :)

I'm right there with you. Sit came to me no problem, but HD has been a tough one. There seams to be a lot of good advice here. I can tell you one thing - coaching helps A LOT. I just got back from Florida and got some coaching from Pip Redvers. Just seeing the video was enough to say DUHHHH. :S

Excuse me, I'm going to go stand on my head now.:P

Becareful where you look for information about freeflying. Many people may understand how to get headdown, but are essentially still learning themselves. Look for advice from local, respected freefly coaches. Doing coach jumps will also help you tremendously and what you'll learn in one jump will save you dozens of solo jumps just trying to figure it out. If you'd like more info., I'd be glad to help

And...learn to walk before you run.
As in any good freefly program it is essential to follow a progression.
Learn to sit, then stand, then head down. All of these have 6 major points that one should be able to do with proficiency.

All of these have 6 major points that one should be able to do with proficiency.

Bets, could you list what these 6 points are? Or are they posted here already?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

hold heading, forward movement, backward movement, side to side movement, 360 right turn on heading, 360 left turn on heading.
You can add to the list fall rate control..level and proximity.

Not turns on all axes, ie flips and cartwheels? That's what's in the freefly instructional video of Babylon, as required moves before progressing.

ciel bleu,
Saskia