ColdDuck

Remembring to Breathe

When you were learning to freefly(head down especially) did you remember to make a concerted effort to breathe in freefall? If so do you think that it is important to fly stable head down. I always try to remember to breathe up there, but I think I try to concentrate to much and forget to breathe.

Thanks

"Insurance should called In case shit happens, if shit don't happen shouldn't I get my money back?"

I think it helps emensly... simply because it will help you to relax.. flying hd is something much easier to do when you are not tense.. when I was first learning I would start with my plan from exit.. I would ALWAYS exit on the exhale and kindof flop out like a dead fish.. then go to my body position and keep trying to relax.. it worked for me...but who knows..
I exited on the exhale so I would have to breath...
-yoshi

Last weekend I was reviewing some video of a dive with AUFreefly. He was flying REALLY slow. That makes me crank out my arms and legs and get stiff. I'm washing and carving because I was trying to go so slow. You see me open my mouth wide and take a HUGE deep breath. Someone else watching asked if I was saying something. Nope....just trying to stay relaxed and keep breathing. On a jump a while back I was trying to teach someone head down. He has quite a few more jumps than I do but has spent them all on his belly or in a sit. I launched a flower with him and not 2 sec out the door he started to get tense. I shook my head "NO" at him and took a big deep breath. (I couldn't give him a relax signal because if I let go of him he would have corked.) He responded by taking a couple nice deep breaths and the flower stabilized immediately. It was very cool and I was quite proud of him for accomplishing new things. Breathing and relaxing is one of the most important things you can do on any dive.

Maybe even more important than breathing during the dive is breathing just before the dive. If you are tensed up and not breathing when you leave the plane you might stiffen up on the exit. A tip I got given was to use the exit count : Ready, Set (breathe in) Go (breathe out smoothly as you leave the plane).

Will

Hehe, Ramon used to give me the breathe signal a lot, it became the key for a maneouvre. Point to mouth, breath, execute manuevre.

I adpoted and used it a lot telling Mrs Mac to breath when she was shoving out mini me...;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Breathing is very important in freeflying in general. Not just while you are head down. Breathing will really help you relax and release any tension that you have built up. If you think you are concentrating to much on breathing then do things to make it second nature such as adding the breathing to your dirt diving. Make it a part of your dive. Breathing will prove to be a very valuable tool especially once you get into bigways.

As a newbie, I'd have to say that this peice of advice has helped me all the way from sitting on the plane on the ride up, during my exits, my maneuvers, and even under canopy and landings. It's one of the things that I feel truely improves my performance. Oh, and I would suggest making sure to breathe slowly and calmly during mental rehersal to help making it more second nature in the air.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

breathing is everything. if we can breathe, we can't relax, if we can't relax, we can't think.....if we can't think....then who knows what is going on..

if you are having trouble remembering to breathe, then maybe you are trying to do too much in one jump.
simplify...make breathing your #1 priority (along with safety, of course)

take deep breaths, without hyperventilating...;)
but make them exaggerated, deep and slow..
don't think 'there's no time to spend thinking about breathing....i want to learn to fly'
that philosophy is in the wrong order.

if we can breath, we can relax, we can think, we can become aware (or more aware) of how the wind feels against our bodies...and we can learn to work with the wind and learn to fly..

my two cents
max

Guys, me and a friend of mine were doing HD jumps last weekend, and the breathing thing made it a bit better: we allready know how to jump out a flower (I could say it's perfect), we can fly it for 3 or some seconds, and then it gets unstable.

I guess we would have made it if we also concentrated on the breathing during the jump, not only on the exit.

Well, anyway, RiGHT oN!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

*sneaking in from the RW forum...*

This doesn't only apply to freeflying, you know. The best FS teams will tell you that they score the most points when they are the most relaxed...and they all do some deep breathing on the plane...

OK, I'll go away now...;)

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

instead of going out in out. I breath with the other jumper/s while going up down, then out in out

are you talking about skydiving or sex???

Talking about skydiving. But, Monkey if you ever find yourself having sex with another person, then this breathing thread is applicable at that time as well.