Trent

AD vs USPA 3-D Award

I'm looking at the poll on the homepage and I can't beleive that more people would rather have their AD. If anyone is thinking that getting an AD A is harder than the 3-D award, they're out of their minds. In my (pretty much worthless) opinion, the 3-D award is a much better representation of someone's flying abilities than an AD A... by FAR. 9 points in 3 different positions with 2 other people versus 2 transitions and 2 docks with a stationary ball... to me, it's pretty obvious which one is more difficult.

Now, if you've got an AD B, C, or D... there's something pretty hardcore right there, but I know a few people who can barely take a dock on their heads who got an A.

Just to cover my ass, this is not intended to be a shot at those who got the A on their way to a B or higher. If you go out and get your A flawlessly, that's a lot different than getting lucky on your 5th try at the A.

What do you think?
Oh, hello again!

I totally agree.
Having an AD a says a bit about proximity and Basic HD flying ability, but that's it.
It's amazing how many people think that because I got my AD-A, that I can now load organize, coach, lead tracking dives, ..even do a HD cartwheel..(I only practised the left 360 and frontloop for my test! : ) )
There's a myth that needs debunking here, I think.
Now, as soon as you think about the AD-B and up, that starts saying something about your all-around HD flying ability. totally.

as far as the 3-D test- it totally says a lot more about all-around flying ability.

Cheers!
"Spread your legs and fly"

Depending on where you jump and who is doing the load organizing, (SDA-PB's Circus jumps) I've been told an AD is required to get on the organized jumps. I don't think anyone is requiring a 3-D, and considering the fact that I will be relocation to half an hour out of SDA-PB, I think the AD would be more valuable to me than the 3-D. I however voted for the PRO, so I guess this is a moot point.

Mark Klingelhoefer

You are right in that the 3D award is a more comprehensive test of multiple body postitions. It definitly takes more skill to get this award than the AD. Glens comment about only practicing 2 transitions for the AD I think sums up the whole argument between which is a better test of skill. I've seen some horrible AD tests that have passed.
Olav fucked up when he lowered the requirment from 3 to 2 transitions.

> Glens comment about only practicing 2 transitions for the AD I think sums up the whole >argument between which is a better test of skill. I've seen some horrible AD tests that >have passed.

Glen's also being pretty modest. From what I hear, his test was Hollywood. And if I'm not mistaken, it is the first AD awarded over Canadian soil. nice job again bro!!
Dave

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

You fucking guy...... You did good on the test. Remember, the AD test is a way to regulate the skill level, it is a starting point that is easly reconized.
Im not too sure what the 3-D dive is because Im with the CSPA. Im sure that it is more difficult. Ill try it some day, when I stop chucking students out of the A/C....... Glen, you are still GAY.

What's up Glen?B| It was nice meeting you in Canada man! And it was even nicer jumping with you. I was happy to hear that you were the first one to get the AD over Canadian soil. I think that you are an awesome freeflyer man. You and your lady should come visit Texas soon!B|

Congrats !

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"

The AD-D test is really REALLY hard.
You have 2 spaceballs.
When you put them next to each other you have to:
Do a 360, grab both, replace them.
Do a flip, grab both, replace them.
Do a cartwheel, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite 360, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite flip, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite cartwheel, grab both, replace them.
Then you have to retreive one of them, track and pull. You must finish the test above 6,000. (I also heard that sometimes the balls 'accidentally' don't fall at the same speeds.)

In the 3-D awards, you're with 2 other people... so that also makes it very difficult.
The 3-D award requires you to:
Exit in a 3-way flower.
Break and build a 3-way round.
Break and build an opposite hand 3-way flower.
All 3 then transition to sit.
Build a stairstep, each person docks on one other person's foot.
This has to be re-built twice so that each person takes a turn at the top position.
All three then transition to belly.
Build a compressed accordion.
All rotate 180 to an opposite compressed accordion.
Build a round.
And you have to do it all in one jump.

Either test is pretty damn hard. I think the AD-D is prolly harder, since there's only like 3 people listed on Olav's site who've earned it.
Oh, hello again!

Also keep in mind how you can get either award. Anyone can get the 3-D award. You don't need an instructor or a licensed award-giver type guy to give it to you. The AD-D test can only be given by 1 or 2 people, so there might be way more people with a D if they didn't have to fly to Pahokee or wherever to get it. Also, the 3-D award doesn't require a spaceball, which a lot of people aren't allowed to jump at their dropzones. So comparing the 2 tests by how many people have gotten the awards is irrelevant.
Oh, hello again!

Also keep in mind how you can get either award. Anyone can get the 3-D award. You don't need an instructor or a licensed award-giver type guy to give it to you. The AD-D test can only be given by 1 or 2 people, so there might be way more people with a D if they didn't have to fly to Pahokee or wherever to get it. Also, the 3-D award doesn't require a spaceball, which a lot of people aren't allowed to jump at their dropzones. So comparing the 2 tests by how many people have gotten the awards is irrelevant.

Point taken!. Hey, does it cost anything to take the 3-D test? ( I mean other than the cost of the jump and outside video) ? The AD test cost me like 150bucks (canadian) (= $5 US haha)

The AD-D test is really REALLY hard.
You have 2 spaceballs.
When you put them next to each other you have to:
Do a 360, grab both, replace them.
Do a flip, grab both, replace them.
Do a cartwheel, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite 360, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite flip, grab both, replace them.
Do an opposite cartwheel, grab both, replace them.
Then you have to retreive one of them, track and pull. You must finish the test above 6,000. (I also heard that sometimes the balls 'accidentally' don't fall at the same speeds.)

Two spaceballs, even of identical construction will pretty much never fall at the same speed.

You also forgot the very important step 1 of any AD test, which is to find a person who can aminister it and pay them an unreasonable sum of money.

This is the problem with the AD. It is a very worthwhile assessment of skill, but it hasn't been universalized due to petty politics.
The people who can and cannot administer the test keeps changing and there aren't enough of them. This makes it, unfortunately quite useless. There are easily hundreds of people at the skill level of the AD-A who don't have the number because it is too difficult to get. I myself have passed the test, but not by someone who gives out numbers. So it becomes meaningless, which is unfortunately.

On the other hand, the 3D award is more accessible, because it is through the USPA, the downsides, if I really want to call them that, are
1) it is fairly advanced.
2) It is a relative work award. You and two other people all have to have the skills required.

The AD-A is a good entry-level guideline that can be used similarly to the SCR in Australia. You will not be able to go on an 8way or larger in Oz until you've got your SCR. By a similar token, someone you don't know who wants to get on an 8 way head down dive, is probably less risky if they've got an AD-A. What is needed is more people who can give AD-A's and more people who can be recognized ballmasters and testers. Olav, in short, has to give it away, because while he contributed greatly to the evolution of freeflying, it's just not his to control.

;) Congratulations... Man!!! I am way proud of you!! I tried twice for my AD and didn't get it. I think that both test will only help people to become better flyers. That is all I want to get better so I can go on all the cool skydives with all you awesome freaks!!!:$ As Rach said you need to come and visit us in Texas.

Peace & Love,
Pippy
BooYa #1
SAFE IS COOL

Hey Krista, good to hear from you. Thx! Ya, it was a total mind-fuck, so I fought back and reverse-psyched myself out- I just went out with the attitude that I wouldn't pass the test, so I could just go out and have fun learning with the ball. It worked! Here's the video if you're interested. It's like 2.23 MB quicktime progressive download.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~blazingcannon/video/balltest/glenBall.mov
Actually to make it more interesting for the whuffo fam-damily, I edited in another guy's perspective who wore a camera during his test, so they could get a better sense of what it's like to fly with the ball. You can see dave brown in the video- but I did mine with mike swanson. : ) Oh, and, um, note how it comes out of my jumpsuit after I passed...
Big hugs for you krista!
Glen

Nice video Glen!
So what did Mike say about the ball coming out of your suit?
It's kind of funny, but also one of those "Oh shit" moments! B| Eh!

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"