Namowal

How Tough/Intimidating is this Dive Exit?

Pretend you're a still-gets-nervous AFF student (that is, me :$) who has to do level 8 soon, complete with the dive exit. How tough (and how intimidating) is it compared to other AFF exits? Part of me thinks "Dive head first out of the plane? Are you nuts!?" and part of me thinks "Well, it has to be less awkward than getting into position for the float exit."

Also, is it similar at all to diving into the tunnel? The tunnel instructor had me enter that way the last time I practiced there, and I seemed to get the hang of it.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Pretend you're a still-gets-nervous AFF student (that is, me Blush) who has to do level 8 soon, complete with the dive exit. How tough (and how intimidating) is it compared to other AFF exits? Part of me thinks "Dive head first out of the plane? Are you nuts!?" and part of me thinks "Well, it has to be less awkward than getting into position for the float exit."

At the beginning of your skydiving career, all things are tough the first time, no matter how many people tell you it's no big deal. You're not going to believe them until you do it yourself, and discover it's no big deal.

But if you're worried that you'll mess the exit up and become unstable, remember that you've got 8,000 feet to get stable again. You've already proven to yourself that you know how to get belly to earth, in case you flip over. So remind yourself that the WORST thing that can happen from your diving exit is that it takes you 1,000 feet to right yourself. And then you'll still be at 11,500.

At the beginning of your skydiving career, all things are tough the first time, no matter how many people tell you it's no big deal. You're not going to believe them until you do it yourself, and discover it's no big deal.

So far that's been the case!
I wish I had less time between this jump and my last one (car trouble and weather kept me grounded the previous two weekends), but I don't think I'll be too rusty.

But if you're worried that you'll mess the exit up and become unstable, remember that you've got 8,000 feet to get stable again. You've already proven to yourself that you know how to get belly to earth, in case you flip over. So remind yourself that the WORST thing that can happen from your diving exit is that it takes you 1,000 feet to right yourself. And then you'll still be at 11,500.

Good point! Thanks for reminding me. :)

I first had problems exiting in a stable way but wasn't intimidated because I just arched and - snap! - there I was back on my belly. ;)
In fact, I loved the dive exits from a plane because I had real issues with the dive exit from the 3m-board in PE (when I was 14) - the dive exit from 4000 meters provides wayyyyy more "space" and you just dive into air and there's no water crashing into your face. B|
My AFF instructor told me: 'Member you was a kid and slid down a slide face-first in the playground? Wasn't that fun? How much fun will it be sliding down some hundred meters, huh? And right he was.
Just remember to present your belly and your chest to the relative wind. (I forgot the first time and tumbled, see above.) Your instructor will tell you how to do it, just practise at the mocker. You'll sure love it.

There's a jump log of a female jumper from Austria. Unfortunately, she discarded it (was a source of inspiration for you to find someone admit they were scared but managed to process etc) but it's still more or less available through the wayback machine. You'd have to translate it, though (or have it done by a translation service such as Google) Andrea (that's the girl) wrote how she loved to dive exit and do flips and somersaults...

HTH, Carsten

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Wish you a lot of fun.
Wanted to go sky diving tomorrow but it was cancelled due to high winds (predicted in forecast.)

BTW: Suitable weather provided I'll take part in the "Goose Jump Competition" ("Gänsespringen") next week. Got nothing to do with geese nor is it a disrespectful term for "Jumping girls" - The winner team is awarded a (living) goose, hence the name :)

How tough? Not at all. You simply launch yourself headfirst out the door. No climing out, no hanging on, no nothing. Proper body position (I'll leave the description of that to your instructors) ensures stability, but even without it, you've regained stability before so it won't be a problem if you do a front loop by accident.

How intimidating? That's the real question. You have to launch yourself headfirst out the door. Or into the mouth of your friend the "Door Monster."

The first one will scare you. As soon as you are in freefall you will ask yourself what you were scared of it for.

At least that's how it was for me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You want to think of it as flying against the relative wind, so the only difference between that and a poised exit is a 180 deg turn. You should be able to not only dive out, but be able to deploy while in that attitude. That doesn't mean go try that now, but you should think about why it is possible.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Not sure if I am yet comfortable doing a dive from low altitude...
[...]
To look back at the plane from an "weird" angle and then get stable was a real boost of confidence.

As long as you are able to get onto your belly within let's say 2-3 secs, you shouldn't be scared even with the ground so "close" - you're already confident, build on this. B|

Wish you a lot of fun.
Wanted to go sky diving tomorrow but it was cancelled due to high winds (predicted in forecast.)

BTW: Suitable weather provided I'll take part in the "Goose Jump Competition" ("Gänsespringen") next week. Got nothing to do with geese nor is it a disrespectful term for "Jumping girls" - The winner team is awarded a (living) goose, hence the name :)

I guess your wish worked because I had fun.
As for the Gänsespringen, what happens to the goose. Does he become a mascot? A pet? A meal? Or does it vary?

How tough? Not at all. You simply launch yourself headfirst out the door. No climing out, no hanging on, no nothing. Proper body position (I'll leave the description of that to your instructors) ensures stability, but even without it, you've regained stability before so it won't be a problem if you do a front loop by accident.

Thanks for the tips. My dive exit actually went fairly well. Not that it was graceful, but I didn't tumble over or end up in a weird position.

How intimidating? That's the real question. You have to launch yourself headfirst out the door. Or into the mouth of your friend the "Door Monster."

The first one will scare you. As soon as you are in freefall you will ask yourself what you were scared of it for.

At least that's how it was for me.

Oh, I had a few thoughts about the Door Monster when I got near him. It'll be in the next cartoon installment. :)

>How tough (and how intimidating) is it compared to other AFF exits?

Very intimidating to most students but just not tough. The worst you can do is go unstable (indeed that's sorta the point) and at this point you know how to recover from that.

>Also, is it similar at all to diving into the tunnel?

Not really. Different airspeed, different direction of relative wind, different relative wind changes after exit.

As for the Gänsespringen, what happens to the goose. Does he become a mascot? A pet? A meal? Or does it vary?

Depends on who wins the goose, or to be more precise, it's three geese. Some years ago for three categories of accuracy (rounds, ram male, ram female) but changed into accuracy (male, female) and FS (3-way competition just for fun, see)

Video of the three geese presented at the award ceremony in 2006. They could watch the competition during the day (photo) Two of the geese were lucky and found shelter at a farm, one of which was the goose my team (I was videot) won. The goose we won in 2007 ended in one of the jumper's oven.
I like the "find refuge at a farm" option better. :P

I've got a dutch oven

Had to look this one up. Well, don't complain the Europeans now and then call you "Colonials" :P

Apart from that: Once I know a bird I can't eat it any more.

Reminds me of my childhood. There was a biiiiig tank full of carps in the fish department of the supermarket were my mom used to buy groceries etc. I often spent some time after school watching the fish in the tank there. One day mom took me there to buy a carp and the poor creature was scooped out of the tank and brutally (that was the way it appeared to me) murdered right in front of me.
No wonder I refused eating it (and I still don't line carp, but there are other reasons, too)

I felt bad for the Oven Goose until I remembered how those @#!! things used to chase me around the park when I was a kid.:P

Well, I also felt bad for it... sort of. OTOH I was relieved when this fellow said he wanted to take the goose home - I don't have any spare space for a goose in our apartment and my wife would have been "delighted" if I had brought the goose home :P
I never had any "traumatic" experience with waterfowl except from a swan that squeezed my hand when I fed him. But nobody eats swan, huh?

BTW: Congrats on your level 8, I feel proud for you. Didn't I tell ya you'll like it? B|