Hooknswoop

Reserve Re-pack Cost

St our Dz repacks are $50.00 for any sort of rig, including racer / reflex and other purported " pain in the ass rigs ". Assembly of new rigs is $25.00 additional. It seems to be a little higher than the average, but we have a very good rigger at our DZ who has personally saved my ass 4 times, and is very thourough and willing to do minor repairs free of charge most of the time.

I charge $30, includes inspection and packing of the main as well.

Alan, that's nice of you, but how much is your time worth to you? I charge $45 for the reserve inspection & repack, and what most at my DZ think is cheep, $10 for main inspection and repack. That's only $5 for the inspection of the main, that takes me a chunk of time, and $5 for repacking it. I don't just speed through things either, I find problems more often then I should. Like Slinks hooked up wrong, and slider bumpers wanting to slide up the lines etc.

We used to have a rigger at our DZ that charged $25 for a repack, and nobody wanted to compete with him, even though he was just trying to be a nice guy. Then he moved away, and we had no rigger at all!!! So I finally got my rating. But we went for over a year without a rigger (can you say pencil pack?), because nobody wanted to get the rating and compete with the $25 rigger. (even though most good people paid him $45 anyway)

My point is, I am the only rigger at my DZ, and I just got my rating in Feb., and I have a full time job, and am in this sport to JUMP!, and my time means a lot to me. I have had at least 5 rigs to repack (inspect & repack) every week since I got my rating, and the hell if I am going to donate my time to do it. Sorry, but I do feel my time is worth something, and considering all the problems I have found with the rigs I have seen, I think it has been worth it for those I have helped.

And one more thing, I would like to try to change the worlds perception of a reserve repack. It's not just a repack, it's a very detailed inspection of your entire reserve, harness, and container system, we also have to check for any service bulletins on your reserve, and harness/container system. (anyone read the article in the July Parachutist mag?) After the inspection, we repack the reserve so it is ready for you to use if you need it.

Sorry I got so excited, I just got back from the bar, I only have three rigs this week, so I got to go out and drink for a change.

Blue Skies,
Wags

When we were out at Perris a couple of years back , one of my team mates needed to have a repack after a Mal. The guy who did it is behind Square 1 shop ( He doesn't work or have any relation to Sqaure1, need to make it clear after a mis understanding before) but he charged $90 to repack it, how's that for a rip off.

Was this a "I need my rig back as soon as possible, like today" kind of repack?

No it was a case of as soon as it could be done. Lots of DZ's have high overheads, but none that I know or have been to have ever charged this much, thisis a piss take in my books.

The loft that used to be behind Square One, Adventure Sports Loft, is now located in a building by the dz entrance. They charge (IIRC) $75 for a regular repack. They may charge extra for "same day" repacks, not sure.

Not apologizing for the price, but they do have some serious overhead with the building on the dz, all the sewing machines and the employees. They do good work; until recently that was where I got my gear packed (didn't stop using them because of price but because a friend got her ticket).

There are other riggers in and around Perris who charge less and do quality work. It's not like your teammate had no other choice...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That $90 probably included a rush fee.
The rush fee is a result of rigger burnout.
Picture this, you have already worked a 50 hour week with no air-conditioning, when someone asks you to stay late on Friday evening to repack his reserve. So you skip the sunset load and happy hour and are grumpy when you report for your tandem job Saturday and Sunday mornings. Oh, and the customer does not return to pick up his rig for three weeks.
That is why they charge a rush fee.
I used to work in that loft and understand where they are coming from.

It happened on the first load and it was on tuesday, so he had plenty of time.

Alan, that's nice of you, but how much is your time worth to you?

Wags,
At 3 to 4 hours for a normal I&R, it would come out to $8 to $10 per hour for this particular job. I do other jobs that go up to higher than $60 per hour. It is not just about money to me. By the way, I even do some volunteer work.....Children's Miracle Network and stuff like that.

I charge $45 for the reserve inspection & repack, and what most at my DZ think is cheep, $10 for main inspection and repack.

Well good for you.

That's only $5 for the inspection of the main, that takes me a chunk of time, and $5 for repacking it.

You are very generous. You can be proud of yourself.

I don't just speed through things either, I find problems more often then I should.

I'm glad to know you have such a good work ethic. I'm sure that you don't mean to imply that I just breeze through a repack and don't look for and find problems.

I find problems more often then I should.

That statement makes you sound pretty stupid. Just how often should you find problems?

Like Slinks hooked up wrong, and slider bumpers wanting to slide up the lines etc.

You mean to say that you don't think that you should find those types of problems? Maybe you are trying to imply that I don't. Hmmm...

We used to have a rigger at our DZ that charged $25 for a repack, and nobody wanted to compete with him, even though he was just trying to be a nice guy.

What the hell has that got to do with me? Do you think I'm just trying to be a nice guy? The truth is, at my DZ we have had a history of summer, full-time help that have charged $45 or more for rigging services that included leaving the reserve risers tied together, rolling the nose on the reserve, using a repide link as a fix to forgetting to run the reserve rc cable though the RSL ring.........I don't have the time or patience with you to type it all. I want my friends to use me because I want them to live you arrogant, pompous, self important jackass.

Then he moved away, and we had no rigger at all!!! So I finally got my rating. But we went for over a year without a rigger (can you say pencil pack?), because nobody wanted to get the rating and compete with the $25 rigger. (even though most good people paid him $45 anyway)

Do you have a point? If so, then just say it.

My point is, I am the only rigger at my DZ, and I just got my rating in Feb., and I have a full time job, and am in this sport to JUMP!, and my time means a lot to me.

Well finally! I would suggest that you spend less time in this forum posting shit about which you know less than shit and go jump.

I have had at least 5 rigs to repack (inspect & repack) every week since I got my rating, and the hell if I am going to donate my time to do it.

I don't think $45 is "donating" your time.

Sorry, but I do feel my time is worth something, and considering all the problems I have found with the rigs I have seen, I think it has been worth it for those I have helped.

You seem to be a judgemental, arrogant snot. I think my time is worth something as well. I had 8 saves last year alone, ask those people what I am worth.

And one more thing, I would like to try to change the worlds perception of a reserve repack. It's not just a repack, it's a very detailed inspection of your entire reserve, harness, and container system, we also have to check for any service bulletins on your reserve, and harness/container system. (anyone read the article in the July Parachutist mag?) After the inspection, we repack the reserve so it is ready for you to use if you need it.

Just shut the fuck up Mr. rigger since Feb. Who the hell are you to decide what the world's percpetion is. You responded to my post about me. You see $30 and you decide you know all about me and what I do.

Sorry I got so excited, I just got back from the bar, I only have three rigs this week, so I got to go out and drink for a change.

Now ain't that just to bad you poor little hero. I only did three yesterday, can I go out for a drink? Is it OK with you if I decide what I'm willing to pay?
alan

Just shut the fuck up Mr. rigger since Feb. Who the hell are you to decide what the world's percpetion is. You responded to my post about me. You see $30 and you decide you know all about me and what I do.

I would think that you, as a former moderator for this website, would be familiar with the rule regarding no personal attacks.

Apparently, I thought wrong.

Wags didn't post anything inflammatory, he just posted his polite opinion on something that happened to rub you the wrong way. Your reaction to it is over the top.

I didn't read anything into his reply that even hinted at a stab at your rigging abilities.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Alan, dude, I wasn't trying to piss you off. I just think that the job a good rigger does is worth more then you charge. And only that statement was directed to you. If you want to charge less, that's fine, you obviously don't have the problem our club had in the past, with one guy charging less then anyone else would do the job for. I don't know you, and wasn't implying that you do a substandard job.

As far as knocking me for saying I find problems more often than I should. Maybe I should say "more of the equipment I inspect has problems then it should." Remember, I just got my rating, and am seeing all this equipment for the first time, and I don't like what I have been seeing.

And again Alan, I say Truce, I wasn't attacking you, the comments I made were intended to let others know that riggers do more then just "repack the reserve" Maybe the alcohol made me type different then I meant to sound.

Blue Skies,
Wags

I think what everyone needs to remember here is that repack rates are going to change greatly depending on what region of the country you're in, just like other service oriented pricing does.

You don't find the same rates in every city for a mechanic that works on your car, so why would you expect to find the same rates for a rigger?

California and Florida are going to be more expensive, the Mid-West is going to be cheaper. It's just the way it is.

Of course, cheap or expensive is all based on what your frame of reference is. Northern California is a bit cheaper than Southern California, but both are much more expensive than other places...well, it's more expensive to live in California than anywhere else, so it follows that it's more expensive to have work done.

Prices are set based on market VALUE, and your market is where you live/work/jump, so it doesn't matter what the rates are elsewhere because you really can't compare prices from loft to loft when those lofts aren't in the same geographic region.

It's all about the market...you're not getting ripped off unless what you're paying is grossly different from what the three guys next door are charging. And if you're rigger is the only one for 100 miles, well, he's got you cornered, doesn't he?

I've heard this argument a hundred times from people moving into the area from out of state. It costs what it costs, sorry. If you think you're paying too much for your repacks, sack up and get your own rigger's ticket, then you won't have to pay anything at repack time! B|

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I am the main rigger at a good sized DZ in California and I charge $60 for reserve I&R. Some may think that is expensive but for the service I give I don't consider it expensive at all.
There are some independents around that charge less, but they also charge for all the little things that should be included with the I&R. Safety stows, a quick stitch on the container, a hand tack here and there. When they charge for all that, it can add up to more than I charge outright.
I also pay a percentage to the DZ for rent. I pay for the maintanence on my sewing machines and tools.
Just like any other business, you have to balance what your work is worth and what the customer is willing to pay for you work. I have 2500 repacks and 140 documented saves. I think I'm worth $60,and so do a lot of my customers

I have a question....

Perris charges $70 bucks for a reserve repack....
they also charge $10 bucks for cypres install.

Since my rig is due for a repack, can I just slip the new cypres in the sleave and route the cables myself?

Do they have to check that it's installed properly anyway as part of the repack? My guess is yes?

Why would they charge $10 dollars if you are already paying $70 bucks? for somthing so easy?

scott

> $50.00. also if you use it to give whoever packed it a bottle of thier fav liquor.
>(I have given 1 bottle to date of whisky)

Same policies (not sure about price) where I am, from what I have learned. I'm still a student, so I didn't have to pay the cash part, just the vodka. I really liked the opening, so I bought the best brand I could find. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.