Teigen

B.A.S.E Photography 2009

I am sorry to whine, but there is a very serious problem with this video, that I must complain about. The problem is that the video really, really, really makes me want to BASE jump.

Years ago I "knew" I would get into BASE wingsuit jumping one day. But, living in boring flat USA, there isn't much access to awesome legal cliffs, and I have no interest in jumping off of antennas and whatever else is available around here. So, somehow, I've managed to forget about my longheld desire to fly off of earth. Your slideshow has reminded me.

I have a very short attention span. It's rare I will watch a skydive video from beginning to end. I started yours up with the intention of skimming through it, but after a few seconds I paused it, got up and turned off all the lights, sat down, and watched it from beginning to end in full screen. You managed to make a slideshow more thrilling than most videos. My favorite moments were 1:25 and 2:55. The music was great, and the voice samples at beginning and end (part of the song?) went great with the footage.

Keep up the great work! :)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Nice work !

Did you have a lot of issues with focusing ? (I mean, how large percentage did you manage to focus well?) I would imagine that at least those flyby shots are pretty damn hard nail in sharp focus.

Always interested to hear any other experiences/tips concerning this type of photography..

Nice work !

Did you have a lot of issues with focusing ? (I mean, how large percentage did you manage to focus well?) I would imagine that at least those flyby shots are pretty damn hard nail in sharp focus.

Always interested to hear any other experiences/tips concerning this type of photography..

I am fairly willing to bet that along with good skill, there is some very NOT cheap glass involved in shooting these pictures.

I am fairly willing to bet that along with good skill, there is some very NOT cheap glass involved in shooting these pictures.

Skill for sure, Nice optics for shure also. BUT even the best modern equipment has its limitations when shooting relatively small objects travelling at 120mph. Some situations are very challenging even for the pro with the gear.

Im guessing Canon 500mm + maby 70-200mm

Correct! most of the shots were taken with either the 70-200mm or the 500mm.. Both L IS USM lenses so top notch glass and focus! The biggest problem shooting at Bispen for example isn't focusing but rather keeping them in the viewfinder.. The photo of Jokke in the V3 at 1:22 is probably one of the most lucky shots i ever made! I had them radio me who and where people were going and i knew he was gonna go tight. So i went with the 70-200 to have some flexibility. And the fact that i got THAT exact frame is just pure luck! If you watch the video called "Bispen Flybys" the first pass there is the pass in the still photo. When they are going THAT fast you basically have to hold the trigger down and hope for the best.. a millisecond later and he would be onscured by the roadsign..

I think the ones taken after the pass where you see the forest in the background came out really nice too! those were taken with the 500.. Real easy ones because you no longer have to pan to keep them in frame. And most people had a good 8-10 second flight from the road to deployment so i had tons of time to get alot of shots.

Here's a few selected ones that Jarno posted on his site!

Jokke

Lutz

Lutz deploying

Lutz dropping by

Vesa

Jarl

Rami

Rami deploying

EPIC pics!

Wingsuit novice question here: When I have been deploying from full flight I thought I was supposed to collapse the leg wing, touch both hands to the BOC, grabbing my handle with the right hand and be absolutely symmetric with both arms during the pitch. In the pic of 'Lutz deploying' he is clearly very asymmetrical with his right arm being collapsed all the way touching the PC, and his leg wing all the way open and left arm wing half inflated.

Is this just a BASE thing to keep flying it through deployment, get more object separation/losing less altitude and just dealing with a harder opening, that in the skydiving environment is just not necessary?

Thanks

Collapsing your leg wing is not "deploying from full flight".

Full flight deployment means you fly, you throw your PC, you keep flying, SMACK!

A lot of the more experienced BASE wingsuiters don't collapse both arm wings (as you see with Lutz), even for the PC throw.

And yes, it's BASE specific. You should be pulling high enough in a skydive that how you pull is a matter of preference.
Brian Drake