PhreeZone

How many photos did you shoot in 2008?

How many photos did you end up shooting in 2008 that were skydiving related?

As a side thought I'm wondering how many people that shoot photos for students even keep track of the photos or if they just give the student their photo and never keep a copy for themselves.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I only shot students until late Feb.
I do keep copies but I have NO idea how many photos I shot.

I made about 150 jumps this year and I shot still on most of them.
EDIT:
Look at page 46 of January's parachutist. you'll see ONE of the photos I shot.;)

My photos

My Videos

I don't know the exact number, but I posted 3780 skydiving related photos to my website in 2008. I typically post about 10% of what I take, so I'm guessing over 30,000. That's definitely not all freefall shots though... mostly landings and other stuff taken at dropzones.

Hmmm... how many shots is the XTi shutter rated for??

Dave

Around 30,000 give or take a few. I burn everything to dvd as back up .
Once in awhile some body contacts me and wants them later.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Dave

There was a site that I saw that info I forget where though.

The XT was rated for about 50,000
the XTI was rated for about 75,000
IIRC.

Of course, we all know, that is a GUESS. the camera doesnt turn into a pumkpin on the 75,000th shot.
My photos

My Videos

Dave

There was a site that I saw that info I forget where though.

The XT was rated for about 50,000
the XTI was rated for about 75,000
IIRC.

Of course, we all know, that is a GUESS. the camera doesnt turn into a pumkpin on the 75,000th shot.

So when a shutter does go, can one send it back to the manufacturer to have it replaced or is the camera done and it's time to move on?

(someone correct me if I am wrong)

There is a spring loaded hinge piece that is made of plastic(or some other soft material. Eventually it just wears out.
It can be replaced/repaired but I am not sure how much they would charge.

Often as well as with new cameras people find spots on their sensor after its has been replaced.
It is due to some of the lubricants they use. A simple sensor cleaning will fix those spots.

It's not as hard as some people make it out out to be and it certainly is not worth spending up to $50 for someone else to do it IMO.

The kit costs about $30
My photos

My Videos

I always clean my own sensors . Its pretty simple ,just be careful as you can damage it.
Here's a link to the solvent kits.

http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I always clean my own sensors . Its pretty simple ,just be careful as you can damage it.
Here's a link to the solvent kits.

http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm

CLICKIFIED:D

Yea I decided that if I can work on million dollar miltiary lenses than I should be able to work on the sensor...besides I was still within my bomb proff warranty.

I didnt ned to use it but I figured if I messed up I was covered.
My photos

My Videos

I shot about 50 jumps, mostly tandems. If you figure about 30-35 shots per jump that is 1500-1750 total.

As a side thought I'm wondering how many people that shoot photos for students even keep track of the photos or if they just give the student their photo and never keep a copy for themselves.

Once I burn a copy for the dent I usually only keep the best 3 for myself; exit, freefall, and opening.

Onward and Upward!

Im mostly focussed on video myself, and my number of jumps with stills (on a yearly basis) probably wont be more than 30 or so jumps.

But regardless, I am curious how this question would have been answered a couple of yours ago (pre-digital)

A lot of 'new' skydiving photographers I know come down from each jump with a number of pictures, that would have been close to year-totals for some of the more acredited (older) skydive photographers.

Shooting a number of stills on a jump thats more akin to shooting video, than it is to actual framed shots.
Just clinging to a biteswitch from exit till opening, and later sorting through the 200 pictures from that single jump, and then cropping/colour correcting and fidling with it like mad to end up with something nice.

Where-as in the pre-digital age, people seemed to think a lot more about the 36 shots they where able to get. And often would take a day to fill those 36 shots with beautifully framed and 'taken at the right time' kinda shots..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Good news for all the trigger happy people is that a replacement shutter if needed is less then $200 installed or $100 in parts if you want to do it yourself.

For those of you shooting 10000+ photos how are you organizing your archives if you are at all? I use Lightroom but I'm wondering what other methods everyone uses.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just create new folders for each date I'm transferring pics from the camera... usually one per week. I use picasa to go through them and I star the ones I want to upload to my website. I can upload to my site straight from picasa after I do whatever tweaking I want. Then everything I upload gets captions and keywords. I use my website for searching through pictures most of the time. Even if I didn't upload the picture I want, I can usually use my website to get at least to the right date and then I can find the picture I want in picasa.

I was backing up all my pics on my website for a while (unlimited storage) but I haven't done that in a while. I don't worry too too much about backups since most of my best shots are already on my site.

Dave

I create a new folder on my desktop with a date and then number my jump folders inside that after each jump 12345 etc. etc..
Then after i have enough dated folders i burn them to dvd with the to and from dates on it. I have a trail version of lightroom but have not tried it yet .
I have a full version of aperture too.

For those of you shooting 10000+ photos how are you organizing your archives if you are at all? I use Lightroom but I'm wondering what other methods everyone uses.

I organize them in folders by Year, event, or dz and month. I back up as needed and I only keep good shots. If I shot a series of three in a row and one is perfect and the other two are ok....I trash the other two. It saves alot of space and theres no need to keep a picture that you'll never use.especially if you got one that looks just like it.
My photos

My Videos

I think that I am a glutton for punishment. Everyone at our Dz has a photo file on my computer and every weekend when I shoot pics at the end of the weekend they get put in the appropriate persons file. At the end of the season, everyone got a copy on CD of all of the pics I had of them. I shot about 3000 pics last year....none were arial shots...all ground shots....could you imagine what will happen once I start shooting arial shots......:S:S:S:S:S:S We will have to see if I can repeat the process this year.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

FYI, you could save a lot of time by using a program like Picasa3 (which is free, from google). You can assign keywords to each picture instead of moving them to different folders on your computer. Use people's names as keywords and you can filter and sort as you wish. You can also add keywords for anything else, which will make finding pictures a lot easier.

It can even filter and sort pictures by faces and colors that appear in them... like you can search for purple and it will find pictures with purple in them. Those are maybe a little "experimental" but the software is free so it's worth giving it a try.

http://picasa.google.com/

On a nice summer weekend, I'll shoot 1000+ pictures. Isn't digital great? :)
Dave

yeah...I just haven't gotten that far in figuring out how to work some my programs.....that will be a project for this month --- gonna have some down time as they don't need me at work.....which means lots of playtime editing and setting things up the right way.:)

thanks for the info!;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I sold a whopping 220 pictures in 2008. 119 of those were digital downloads, the rest prints. But the best part was my profit on all those sales. Get ready for a big number here... $128.14!

Only problem is the website I sold them all through costs $150 per year. So my grand total profit from selling pictures on my website for 2008 was: $ -21.86.

I guess it's obvious I didn't get my MBA from a good business school. :P

Dave

I don't even load photo's to the site any more for this reason .If you don't sell them when the student is in the excited heat of the moment ,you won't sell them at all. I sell almost everything i shoot.

I don't generally do tandem videos, so almost all those sales were experienced jumpers. I don't think I did more than 3 paid tandem videos in 2008. But I still made more money on those than all the other pictures I sold combined. Lucky for me, I'm just doing this for fun.

But I agree... When I have done video-only jumps and shot stills anyway to sell online, I never sold a single one. Not gonna sell too many stills on the spot either since my DZ now makes us include 2 8x10 prints and a CD of stills with every tandem video.

Dave

Only problem is the website I sold them all through costs $150 per year. So my grand total profit from selling pictures on my website for 2008 was: $ -21.86.

I've got a whopping $2.46 in profit on my smugmug page.

which means that so far I've made -147.54

But I too am not doing it for profit... I just have prices to help offset some of my costs... I'm not that outstanding a photographer yet either... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...