SkyChimp

I'm just getting started.....

I can positively confirm that Canon is a great brand! i have been working as a freelance photographer for the past 4 years. and have two Canon MKIIN bodies, but i will have to get a lighter body for skydiving, and i WILL get a canon.

I also have a Canon 500mm F4 IS USM telephoto lens, and have been joking about jumping with it, but that thing would probably break your neck on exit ;P

The Canon 40D should probably be a good camera! alltough the lighter 400D (Xti in the US) is probably a better option for "first timers"

The 40D weighs in at about 800 grams with the battery
The 400D weighs about 550 grams with the battery

On top of that weight you will have the weight of a lens. so in total you will have around 1 Kilo of weight on your helmet not counting the weight of the helmet itself.

I will start flying video and stills next summer, and im not going to put something on my head that might damage my neck. "better safe than sorry" i will probably borrow cameras before i purchase something of my own, to test out and to get the feel of how it is with the extra weight.

but both the 40D and 400D are excellent cameras and will be more than enough for skydiving.

The 40D is a step up in weight and price for a still camera. With a good lens on the body you are looking at 1.2+ kilos plus the switches, mounts, etc. I would only jump something like the 30D/40D/5D for special jumps instead of a regular camera. For the cost and weight you are far better off jumping a 400/450/1000D and adding an external flash to fill the photos.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Don't forget to tell him about the little kodak you modify with a switch for skydiving .At least i think it is a kodak still ? It would be a good low budget if he's not wanting to worry about weight on the head .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

So the 400D is outside of the US correct? The Rebel XTi is what's sold within the US then? How are the burst shots with this model? I was hoping to get something that can take burst shots around 2.5 - 3 frames per second. Is this tangible because I couldn't find the owner's manual online? Thanks for all of your input by the way.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Quick internet search will get you most spec sheets in a snap..

XTI Frame rate stated as Continuous: 3.0 fps up to 27 JPEG / 10 RAW frames *

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14256#ModelTechSpecsAct

Do a quick search and you can get a number of sources for reviews on that camera..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

"im not going to put something on my head that might damage my neck"

Then you probably won't be jumping any cameras. Putting a video and still adds considerable weight, no matter how "light" they are. It is how you prepare and handle your equipment when it is on your head from in the plane until you take it off on the ground.

although all of the current line of prosumer (XTi, XSi, and XS) canon's have bursts that are suitable for skydiving although I tend to shy away from the hold the switch down for long bursts and am much more apt to take some time compose then fire off a couple of shots when the time is right. (such as a grip has just been taken)

When I'm shooting tandems I'll usually get a few shots in the door as the TI is climbing out/getting into position, grab a series of shots during exit (10-15) then shoot a bunch when out in front of the student if the TI does a turn I may get a few shots to the side to show the arch... but will aviod taking picture of crotches... then I'll take some pictures as the TI is deploying and then get landing shots.

ultimately I'm a photographer/videographer and feel like I should put some thought/effort in what I'm doing not just fire off shots and hope for the best.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

although all of the current line of prosumer (XTi, XSi, and XS) canon's have bursts that are suitable for skydiving although I tend to shy away from the hold the switch down for long bursts and am much more apt to take some time compose then fire off a couple of shots when the time is right. (such as a grip has just been taken)

When I'm shooting tandems I'll usually get a few shots in the door as the TI is climbing out/getting into position, grab a series of shots during exit (10-15) then shoot a bunch when out in front of the student if the TI does a turn I may get a few shots to the side to show the arch... but will aviod taking picture of crotches... then I'll take some pictures as the TI is deploying and then get landing shots.

ultimately I'm a photographer/videographer and feel like I should put some thought/effort in what I'm doing not just fire off shots and hope for the best.

I'm with you. Good plan. I used to do a lot more continous shots until I realized that it doesn't increase the percentage of good shots I get :P I almost always do some camera raw work and cropping after deleting all of the bad and questionable shots. Holding down the tongue switch for long periods really just creates more work;)

I got the XSi, pretty damn sweet camera... a little on the large side... i use for taking pics of critters, nature scenes and all the bologney, the conceptus bite switch with the mini stereo plug deal works well..

I too was playing back and forth between an XS and XSi. In the end, I got the XS and put the moneys saved toward another lens and to get better SD cards than I already had as well as two more battery packs for it. I've had it for two weeks and have already taken over a thousand pictures just playing with it. Took it out on one jump. Got maybe 20 pictures that I thought were worth keeping out of over 400.

Since getting the camera I've made two additional purchases.

1. I paid $15 to this web site and got 5 online classes that have been GREAT for me. I'm learning so much I just can't even begin to describe how much it's doing for me as a true beginner. I am determined to learn as much as I can about this new tool and how to use it in both this media and for other things as wll.

2. To that end I also purchased this book based on recommendations found in here on this site. Goes with my camera in the bag everywhere that we go. Great book for learning one's way around the controls and how to use them. There is a field guide for the XSi as well. Well worth looking at if you are like me and just getting started.

Sorry for the rambling, just thought I would share a little.

Take care,
BK