Bowen

Mouth or bite switch

I have owned a 2.5 mm bit switch in the past and I am looking for a new switch to go with my XTI and Vapor Wes Pro. I was thinking of getting a mouth or blow switch and wanted to know what everyone else is using and why.

Thanks,
M.Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I use a tongue switch. I find myself moving my jaw more than I want to when using a bite switch. Lotsa guys do better with bite than tongue.
Never tried a blow switch, but have several friends that like them

I've had all 4.

Biteswitch: went through 4 of them in 50 jumps, I bite too hard or have too sharp teeth or something, not a success. When new it's not hard to take a picture while holding the helmet in hand, when the button starts to move around it gets harder. Easy to break wires.

Next: tongueswitch: besides having te remember to quit biting it worked fine, untill it got a wire broken. Very easy to take a shot while holding helmet in hand. All in all, i liked this switch much better than the biteswitch.

Next: aquired a 2nd hand (but new) blowswitch for cheap: a blowswitch works practically forever, not as easy to break the wires, however i have to put on my helmet to make pics and I have to keep my mouth SHUT in freefall which apparently I don't always do :S Depending on your setup this switch may require more work (soldering a plug to it and it's bulky so needs to go inside a helmet (FTN, FTP style helmets no problem) or you get a big ducktape blob on the outside). It'll last you a loooong time though this switch, good buy.

Right now: I'm jumping Laszlo's pro mouth switch, it probably has the same potential problem with wires breaking but so far it has held up fine, it's very easy to take shots with my fingers operating the switch while holding the helmet in hand. I have to remember not to bite the wire just hold it in place with my tongue, this works great for me I can smile etc in freefall all I want. I'm sticking with this one.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Blow switch. As others have said, they last forever. Ask people with a bite or blow switch how many times they have replaced them (several have already mentioned reliability). The only downside I see is that the blow switches are definitely bulkier. This may or may not be an issue depending on your helmet. With larger flat-top helmets it shouldn't be a problem.

And contrary to a previous post, you don't have to have your helmet on to take pictures, you just push the shutter release on the camera.

My tongue switch was dying on me (this one lasted longer than my last 3), so I decided to grab a new one while I was at a DZ with a gear store. Course that DZ happened to be the Ranch where they only sell Lazlo's mouth switch, so that's what I got. I haven't jumped it yet, but I think I need more practice on the ground. First few times I tried it (on the ground without the camera attached), I couldn't figure out how to press it. Need to do some tongue excersizes I guess. I finally figured it out on attempt #4... But I think I'm going to have to practice before I jump with it. :)
Dave

Bite switches only last about 5-10 jumps for me, I bite way too hard it seems and break the wires. I've got 5000+ clicks on my current tongue switch and love the ability to hold the FTP at the mouth piece with the switch under the thumb and take photos while having the other hand free to run the video/pull the tandems toggle/help the student up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I recently broke my home made tongue switch in the plane doing a tandem vid. When I got down (backing up the plane I might add) I grabbed a friend's new switch and hooked it up. I think it's the Sonic Pro Mouth Switch, and it seems OK so far. I really liked my home made switch, it cost me about $20 in parts and about a half hour of time. I was even able to put some hot glue on it, let it half harden and then bite it, effectively molding it to my mouth, so it was effortless to hold in the mouth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked mine the best. It was cheaper than a store bought one (if you have 1/2 hr of free time) and it worked just fine for 350+ jumps. I seem to be at a loss for free time in the summer, so I'll use the mouth switch for the rest of the season, then build a new switch in the winter and keep the mouth switch as a backup.

If you'd like help on how to build one, PM me and I'll give you some tips.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

My tongue switch was dying on me (this one lasted longer than my last 3), so I decided to grab a new one while I was at a DZ with a gear store. Course that DZ happened to be the Ranch where they only sell Lazlo's mouth switch, so that's what I got. I haven't jumped it yet, but I think I need more practice on the ground. First few times I tried it (on the ground without the camera attached), I couldn't figure out how to press it. Need to do some tongue excersizes I guess. I finally figured it out on attempt #4... But I think I'm going to have to practice before I jump with it. :)
Dave

Dave,

how hard is it to use. does it take a lot of pressure?

Thanks,
Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Over the past year, I have used a mouth switch and a bite switch. The mouth switch just stopped working and the bite switch only lasted 10 jumps!!!

I have a nasty overbite so it's been really hard to find a switch that I am comfortable with.

Right now, I'm using a tongue switch and I'm pretty happy with the results. I found the bite switch a bit easier to activate, but was a bit hard on it. Tongue does take some getting used to, but I hope it lasts a bit longer that the last 2.

I never got used to the mouth switch. Installed a new tongue switch the other day and I'll keep the mouth switch as a backup for when the tongue switch inevitably fails.

The biggest problem that I found with the mouth switch, aside from the fact that I couldn't trigger the thing with my tongue, was that it doesn't have an angle in the cord near the switch. I'd need a big loop of the wire sticking out of my mouth which would tend to catch a lot of wind and shift it around in my mouth. Missed some pictures because of that... and had no clue if they were taking or not. But I dunno if that's really a problem with the mouth switch since I wasn't using it properly... I could only consistently take pictures with it by biting it, which is bound to break it.

Dave

For several reasons, I prefer a blow switch. First, they seem to last FOREVER and are far more trouble free.

Fixed it for ya, and I use blow switches too,

My firs one I got second hand and It had done around 1500 jumps, I then put another 2000 jumps on it and sold it, it is still going strong!!

I now have a new one in my Rawa and with a bit of filing I could mount it inside my nicely fitting helmet without comprimising the comfort.

They are only around $30 too.

my fiance has used around 10 tounge and bite switches in around 5000 jumps.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

That was the exact same problem I was having...not really sure if I was taking photos or not with the mouth switch.

Bite was better, but not nearly robust enough. Why not make it with a much more durable material?? Could you not wrap it in something similar to what they make mouthguards out of?? I have one for hockey and that thing has lasted me for years!