DSE

DROPZONE.COM FILM FESTIVAL

Another question:

How long does it take for a video to appear if you link from YouTube? I got a "successfully uploaded" on the 1st March, with something about it appearing when its been cleared (not the same wording) and that I would be emailed... Nothing yet - am I being impatient?

"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Another question:

How long does it take for a video to appear if you link from YouTube? I got a "successfully uploaded" on the 1st March, with something about it appearing when its been cleared (not the same wording) and that I would be emailed... Nothing yet - am I being impatient?

In most cases your video will be reviewed and approved within 24 hours. There's a video of yours that's been on there for quite a few days... is that the one you're referring to?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/videos/search.cgi?query=&LinkOwner=evilivan&LinkOwner-opt=%3D

TIP: When in the video section of the site, in the secondary light blue navigation bar at the top of the page there's a link called "My Videos" second from the left. Click on that to see all the videos that you've uploaded that's been approved. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

you think this is some kind of an encoding issue?

Yes that's probably an encoding issue. We generate a flash file from you original video. On your PC and at skydiving movies you view the file in it's original format. You can download your original file here as well by clicking on the "Download:" button under your video.

I suggest try uploading a higher resolution version of your video. We've learned that there's a direct relations hip between the quality of the original material that you feed the flash converter and the final flash file.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Question: Can I enter a video that I've already uploaded?

Answer: Absolutely. Go to your video. Click on the "Add tags" link under the video and tag your video with: videocontest01

If it's in our video section and it has that tag, then it's in the run! :)

I put videocontest01 in the tag field when I uploaded my video, and added it afterwards but it still doesn't show up in the entry list.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Just as an upload hint...An mp4 at 640 x 480 or even 320 x 240 uploads very, very nicely. A WMV file at 1Mbps also converts very nicely as well. Bear in mind that attempting to upload MPEG2 at DVD quality, or an AVI at DV quality, will be too large for long presentations.

Pro - meaning you have not produced and sold a professional skydiving movie/DVD and do not make your living primarily from photography/videography.

why are professional PHOTOGraphers excluded from a video contest?

i make my living off still images, but suck at making videos.. why should i be excluded because i know how to use a camera?

Pro - meaning you have not produced and sold a professional skydiving movie/DVD and do not make your living primarily from photography/videography.

i make my living off still images, but suck at making videos.. why should i be excluded because i know how to use a camera?

You should not be. That was never the intention. I suspect that double exclusion slipped in because these rules were adapted from a previous photography competition. I will amend that to exclude only professional videographers.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Can you post a link to the video you'd like to include here please?

I don't know how to post links, but I downloaded it to DZ.com. It's called Go, and it does show up when I click on my videos.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

You should not be. That was never the intention. I suspect that double exclusion slipped in because these rules were adapted from a previous photography competition. I will amend that to exclude only professional videographers.

does this mean people who get paid to jump video, or people who actually make their main income from video?? i think i read it in the rules somewhere, but i'm not 100% sure

I have submitted a file via the DZ.com upload. It was a true 16:9 widescreen media file, and now in the DZ.com viewer it is stretched vertically to fit 4:3. Is there any easy way to fix this? Or should I just re-render it as a 4:3 letterboxed?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hey everybody,
The film festival is officially concluded (in terms of submission of entries). It's going to take a few days to wade through the boatload of new vids before a winner is determined. I don't think either HH or myself had any idea we'd see this many entries!! There are some really awesome works in there, and it's going to be very hard to determine a winner, I'm sure. Between Norman, Joe, HH, and myself, we'll find the best of the best however...just sit tight and we'll be announcing a winner very soon.

~d

I keep looking for some sort of clue as to what is going on with the contest I am curious to know what happened.

I may not be the best camera flyer but Im definitly one of the biggest amatures .. wonder if they have a boobie prize for that I do like pairs of those.
Luck, wisdom, and clean air.

thanks to all who participated, congratulations to our winners.
If you have ideas on how we can make this better in the next version of the contest, feel free to PM me or Sangiro.

Huge appreciation for our main judges, Norman Kent and Joe Jennings. With nearly 200 entries, there was a LOT of content to sift through, and it was very time-consuming. Saw some GREAT video in there, and some terrific flying. Some had good stories.
Looking forward to doing it again!

Hmmmpf. Same ol' same ol' seen every day from every camera-weilding freeflyer in the nation. With only a few exceptions, it should have been a 300-way tie for first

Evidently, little to no consideration was given to creativity and originality.

Very disappointed in the "contest".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hmmmpf. Same ol' same ol' seen every day from every camera-weilding freeflyer in the nation. With only a few exceptions, it should have been a 300-way tie for first

Evidently, little to no consideration was given to creativity and originality.

Very disappointed in the "contest".

Ok, Statler... when did you take up skydiving?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h15xIoVwWw

Really it's not easy to create a movie script, come up with appropriate footage, edit it all together, and submit it to a contest on short notice with $0 budget. This was round 1. I'm sure gears are turning in peoples' heads with ideas for next year. While I thought the top movies were pretty good, I expect next year's crop will be even better.

Show me how you think it should be