avenfoto

nylon mounting screws for schumacher.. where to find?

:)
I found mine in a model shop (no, not top models, in a radio-controlled models shop)

for those who don't understand why NO metal screws, check MY VIDEO . Not having metal screws for my mount was one of the causes of this incident.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Found mine at a Ace Hardware.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Found a variety of nylon screws in a specialty fastener bin at Lowe's. Make sure you bring your mount with you to size them correctly, since there are a few that are very close to one another in diameter and thread count. Don't force it, they should thread with very light pressure. If not, you'll shear the head off during installation.

One word of caution: I got the bright idea :S to melt the remnants of the old nylon screw out of the mount since I couldn't turn it. This weakened the spring substantially, and it's not trivial to replace it. After a phone discussion with Brent, I ended up just buying a new mount because of my mistake. Thinking back on it, cutting a groove with an Xacto knife and turning the shaft with a jeweler's screwdriver would probably do the trick.

Lance

I had the same problem with mine, only difference:
I live in Germany. As you may know we have the metric system everywhere and screws with US thread are hard to get, and US thread made of nylon is impossible :-(

My Solution:
Use M3 nylon screws (will find them everywhere) and put some cord thru the hole and then thread the nylon screws as normal.
The cord will fill up the space because M3 is a little smaller than 5/32.

Works great!

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

I've drilled new holes and tapped them to M3.

how did you get the m3 screws fasten?? If at all, I would think, you could adapt the holes to M4 threading, but that would mean that the m4 screws will break at a much higher force than the original 5/32 would..... :-(

we're metric here also (as everyone should)

You are right, everyone should use the "correct" system :-)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

how did you get the m3 screws fasten?? If at all, I would think, you could adapt the holes to M4 threading, but that would mean that the m4 screws will break at a much higher force than the original 5/32 would..... :-(

yes... my first idea was to fill the 5/32 holes with epoxi or something then drill and tap. But then I just drilled new 2.75 mm holes close to the original ones and tapped them to M3. I'll post a pic tonight. Now I have a metric (read correct) Shumacker. ;)

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

update.

everywhere i went had 4/40 then jumped up to 6/32..

solution, 4/40's w/nuts and silicone...

also, to remove broken screws, use a pair of needlenose pliers, if there's not enough to get a hold of, a super small drill bit and a stady hand should do it... thanks for everyones help. -b

Just a note! Schumacher uses the Nylon 6-32 X .5 screw from Mcmaster Carr Part Number 91772A146 they cost $1.96 per humdred. Also to remove broken bolt: Use a small flat edge screw driver, heat the tip of the screw driver with a heat source (a match will work) push the screw driver into the Nylon bolt without turning it. You have created a slot for the screw driver. When this cools (several seconds) unscrew using the same now cool screw driver.

Ordered a pack earlier today. Mcmaster Carr e-mailed back saying that "Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations... we cannot accept your order" (This was re an order to be sent to the UK).

Who knew that exporting tiny nylon screws attracted so much difficulty with export regulations. :S[:/]

man i have no clue...:D i think its five thirty-seconds of an inch but i could be wrong... i just know that on the install instructions that came with the bracket (this is off the top of my head) it said to "drill a 6/32 hole ....then use the included 5/32 nylon machine screws to attach" or something to that effect...

naturally i broke two (it comes with one replacement)

the workaround (for me) was to just buy 4/40x1.5" nylon screws, which just barely fit through the threads on the bracket, and use a steel washer and nut, as well as a drop of silicone to finish it off... ill post photos later.. cya -b

And I find it funny that Terry refers to himself in 3rd person in his post. :D I didn't even realize it was him either... good thing because I lost his email address and I have a question I've been needing to ask him.

Bryan, I would be careful with #4 nylon screws. Even stainless #4's are pretty damn weak. If you so much as bump that helmet the wrong way those screws may perform their "break job" prematurely. I'd go with #6's if I were you. Btw... the "32" in "5/32 hole" is part of a fraction, or .156" diameter. the "32" in a "6-32 screw" means 32 threads per inch. The 6 refers to #6 which is code for .138" diameter. I doubt he said to drill a 6/32 hole because there'd be no reason not to say 3/16 if that was the case. Plus that would be a huge hole (.188") for a #6 screw.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just met with Schumacher and attempted to get every replaceable part for his lineup. I also posted McMaster-Carr part numbers and descriptions of all his nuts and bolts included in his skydiving products. Of course you can order from me, but most are available from your local hardware store.

Check it: http://www.gethypoxic.com/ringsight.php

Blue Ones,
-Trunk
HYPOXIC

The Unified thread number series machine screws are designated by the size, followed by the number of threads per inch. The size "code" is given by (number x 0.013")+0.060".

So your 6-32 would have a nominal major diameter of (6 x 0.013) + 0.060 = 0.138". A clearance drill would be 9/64".

The "correct" tap drill is calculated by (major diameter - 1/number of threads per inch).

In this case, tap drill size would be 0.138-1/32 = 0.138-0.031 = 0.107". You can use either a #36 or a 7/64" drill.