velvetjo

Katana as Video Canopy - Tips?

I've got a Katana 170 on the way, and I wondered if any of you camera flyers had tips for transitioning to it from a Stiletto 190 (have ~300 jumps on that)? I put a bunch of jumps on Sabre2 170's and Stiletto 170's last season during back-to-back loads, so I'm already comfortable with the wing loading.

I've read a bunch of stuff on here and talked to local jumpers who've demo'd Katanas. AggieDave's big Katana review was particularly helpful. My initial thoughts are to be more conservative on pull altitudes and spot distances because of the longer openings and reduced glide characteristics. I also want to do some high hop & pops to get used to the longer recovery arc for turns. Anything else that Katana jumpers can recommend? Anything specific to camera jumps that is good or bad?

Looking forward to this canopy, it sounds like a lot of fun to fly.

Lance

Be extracareful the katanas have a longer recovery arc than the stilettos, start your turns a little higher until you dial the landings. Katanas dive much more that's my only advice.

Carlos
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I jump a KA 107 with my video and digital still setup all the time. I don't have more than a handful of jumps on a stilleto so i can't compare it but the KA is just as sensitive to harness input as a crossfire and other aggressive canopies out there if not more so. Just pay attention to a good solid body position at deployment and through the opening making sure to stay square in your harness. I love the openings on my KA and don't think twice about recommending it for a video canopy. Pay extra attention to what Beto74 said about the longer recovery arc on the KA, someone this past weekend said they call it a Velo-light and from what i can see that is pretty much right on. Getting back from long spots has never been a big problem for me, i had a couple at nationals and had no problems, they fly nicely in deep brakes and on rears. Play with it and find what works for you.
Jeff

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

One of our cameraguys is selling his katana; it opens WAY too slow to stay with tandems. Also I don't like jumping my diablo for FS4 as that one opens way too slow - I end up right between the sabres. So too-slow openings are not always a good thing for a camera person. Don't know if all katana's open this slow, haven't jumped one myself yet. But it's way slower than th vengeances, spectres etc we have here.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I also jump a katana 107 and shoot video's. I am loving it.

I have never heard of too slow openings to stay with tandems? I love the way the canopy opens especially with all that weight on my head.

I will back up what was said earlier, its a great canopy if you treat it right. Long spots are not a problem in deep brakes, nice openings if your square in the harness, much lighter riser inputs and a much longer recover arch then the stilletto.

Make no mistake, it is an aggressive canopy and you must be on your game at all times but if your experience level is such that you can handle it, its a lot of fun.

I jump a KA 107 with my video and digital still setup all the time. I don't have more than a handful of jumps on a stilleto so i can't compare it but the KA is just as sensitive to harness input as a crossfire and other aggressive canopies out there if not more so.

I put about 500 jumps on Stilettos (~150 on an ST107) before getting my KA107. The Katana definitely highlights body position errors more than the Stiletto, but in exchange it has provided me with more consistently soft openings.

Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely be treating this canopy with respect. Kinda like landing a taildragger in a gusty crosswind, eh? Keeps ya sharp. :P

I'm interested in the "opens too slow" comment - what kind of altitude loss during opening would you guys consider to be unacceptable for this canopy?

Lance

I'm jumping a KA135 right now and love the openings, as far as opening altitudes, I'm getting between 600-800 feet consistantly. The canopy likes to seek a heading a bit on opening but nothing really radical, just sit square in the harness and don't look over your sholder after you toss and you'll be doing fine!!! Enjoy the canopy!!:)

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I'm interested in the "opens too slow" comment - what kind of altitude loss during opening would you guys consider to be unacceptable for this canopy?

It opens slower than the Stilettos I've jumped, that's for sure, but it has very distinct stages which are easy to get used to. Someone said 600-800ft which is probably about right for the whole thing, although it can be somewhat hard to quote an altitude accurately.

Once the canopy is out of the bag, I usually get 1-2 seconds of snivel, and then the canopy inflates. Inflation pretty much always takes the same amount of time, and is smooth as long as I'm even in the harness.

On a couple occasions, I've had longer snivels that I'd call "opening too slowly." I've mentioned in other threads I don't understand people's desire for "800ft snivels." I certainly don't enjoy this kinda nonsense, and if your canopy does this regularly I'd say there's something wrong with it.

I jump a katana 107 with my wingsuit along with cameras on my head. I am in agreement with what many have already said about the openings. Recently, I was able to watch several of my deployments from pitch to fully inflated canopy in slow mo via very close outside HD video. My take on the opening sequence and why many say it opens or snivels longer than a Stiletto is due to a few factors IMO. After watching my openings it became apparent that the initial snatch force felt all the way through the inflation of the canopy isn't as abrupt as many are used to.

Based off of data gathered from a PDAS device, the Gs felt and experienced by the jumper are higher during the inflation of the canopy where as the inital snatch force is actually very low. The Katana transitions between the snatch and inflation very smoothly so there really isn't any discernable "pop" felt as the canopy inflates which makes it feel like it snivels longer than other canopies.The best way I know to compare the katana opening to a Stiletto for those who have jumped a stiletto a bit would be to compare the opening to a stiletto that was packed with the nose rolled and tucked deeply inside the pack job and the tail wrapped about 5-6 times. On all 3 of my Katanas there is no noticable "pop" as the canopy inflates and begins to fly. To me,it feels more like something is dragging behind me and then I am upright and under the canopy as it finishes inflating.

I will reitterate the importance of being square in the harness and not moving during the deployment sequence. As long as your 3 rings/risers are even, line twists are usually no big deal. However if they are not the canopy will begin a diving turn but not as bad or as quickly as I have experienced under my Stiletto. As for the turns I feel the Stiletto is twitchy compared to the Katana. The Katana simply turns very smoothly to either toggle or harness inputs. The Stiletto can be turned lower than the Katana IMO as the katana seems to stay in the dive slightly longer than the Stiletto before plane out.

Overall, I find it a nice canopy to use for camera work.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've put a few camera jumps on a Katana and really enjoyed it.

It is a very aggressive canopy, in the same way that a Velocity is. It's not for everyone. I don't know that adding a Camera to the mix changes this in any way other than what it would for any canopy. If you're qualified to jump a Katana without a camera, and qualified to jump a camera, then doing them both at the same time isn't particularly problematic.

I loved the openings. Soft, gentle, all the way through. I loved them, partly because I'm not the kind of jumper who likes to open low. The most "neck friendly" canopy I've ever jumped. :)
_Am

__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Keep the feet and knees together thruought the opening sequence. Dont fly the opening with harness if you can help it....I use rears if I have to. Roll your tail very lightly, not tightly around the lines where your grommets are. I tried packing it just like I did my Xfire and it really really REALLY doesn't like that. I had a buddy take vid of it and the canopy just stayed rolled like a cone for about 2 seconds.....and did 2 rotations giving me some nice twists. Not fun. All in all, it takes good body position to get good openings......cause if you dont have it...it will let you know. I was apprehensive when I first put my camera helmet on with a Nikon 2DX and PC 120, but after a bit...it was no big deal.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

One of our cameraguys is selling his katana; it opens WAY too slow to stay with tandems.

Why does he want to stay with tandems ? Does he pull before of after the tandem does ? Is he regularly doing CRW with tandems ?