jtval

exiting a U206

So I had the first (thru 7th) opportunity to film from a 206 yesterday.

there is no step, hand rail or anything to hold on to.

I basically put my right foot in the door and swiveled out holding on with my right hand...and then grabbing with my left as well.

thing is My inside right thigh is completely sore and bruised. I don't bruise easily. and my left hand/fingers are numb. I think I may have pinched a nerve.

is there a better way of doing this?

My DZO zuggested hanging out of the plane on my right foot and hoding on with my hands but more or less in a squat position.

I think that may be more apt to cause a tumbling exit.
My photos

My Videos

When I was doing video out of a U206 I tried it a couple different ways.

The easiest way was to go front float. Obviously you have the back to the prop. Right foot in the door and left foot on the wheel/gear strut (depending on the owner). You can grip the strut and the door frame.

I did go rear float a couple of time. Just the way you explained: right foot in the door and left foot hanging. Right hand in the top corner of the door.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Why can't you just do a poised exit off of the wheel? Sometimes we use a 182 without a jump step and the pilot just holds the brake on the wheel so 2 people can stand on it and a 3rd on the original little step. I guess it's pretty funny if the pilot lets the brake off though:D.

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Is there different 206s? I wondered if the U ment anything in particular. We borrowed the 206 from Greensburg a few times, it has the door under the wing like a 182, but the strut seemed a little farther away from the step for some reason.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Yes, there are two door configurations in C206's. The one that has the co-pilot door under the wing (like 182, 172). and the cargo rear door version, which lacks the co-pilot door (as otherwise the right side of the fuselage would be nothing but door). The U designation is for "Utility" and includes the rear door, and the two forward door version is the "P" as People/Passenger version.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Thats the one. Well not THE one.

But I'd have to climb from the back of the door to the wheel. That ain't hap'nin.

Shoot, I think itd be safer to ask the student to "hold my chest strap so I don't fall off.":ph34r:

My photos

My Videos

Cessna 206U. Its a long way to think about getting to the wheel and to reach it means grabbing the flap which you should never do.

Not impossible though. And you don't even have to grap the flap. Just get someone who helps pushing you forward from your rig. Done that several times, as many others also have.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

We have been using a U206 at our dz for the last cpl of months. Me and the other vidiots have been hanging off the trailing edge of the access door (toward the tail) with our right feet in the door - left leg out and dragging in the wind. It seems to work well enough.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Try getting to the wheel on the ground a few times if you have a chance, just to see how you go about doing it. Then in the air, simply take a death grip on the window frame with your left hand (start at the front, not the back of the door), get one foot on the wheel (make sure the pilot knows to lock the brake) and push forward into the propwash until you reach the strut with your other hand. From there on it should be easy.

It's not extremely hard, even with no step outside. In fact, I'd say a lot of it is your mind telling you you're gonna fall off.
I like this exit for videos because it gives you a wider shot of the door, plus it leaves more room for the pair to get out (I assume you're shooting tandems, but if it's AFF they'll be even happier about it).

I am sure if you do it a few times on some fun jumps it will be second nature ....... if you don't fall!! :P Notice the little handle on the side of the AC.

Found this pic on airliners.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

That how i've been doing it...

and thats how I did it again today.

I messed up my shoulder on wednesday when I did 7 back to back loads. There is no step or anything and I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder(s)

after load 1 I quit for the day. thats hoe much my shoulders hurt. [:/]

My photos

My Videos

Yep. what he said.

U- refers to cargo usage...."Utility" .

our U206B has a rear right cargo door. Behind the wing. We fly with no door. Nice wind deflector though. Nice for Static line.

A P206 would be a door similiar to a 182. P205 too.

'P' is for People. (or maybe pressurized?)

The 'B' designation is just sub variant code.
http://www.answers.com/topic/cessna-206

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_206

I have 1500+ 206 exits. Front float off a U206 is not easy. if your small you can but strength is needed. Mainly, a rear toe -hang works well. an outside rail would help a bit. Nice exit pic, with plane diving in background. I have got out on the strut in a U206. Have to watch the wind deflector. Also the on strut camera box.
Thats all I know about 206's. :)

We have been using a U206 at our dz for the last cpl of months. Me and the other vidiots have been hanging off the trailing edge of the access door (toward the tail) with our right feet in the door - left leg out and dragging in the wind. It seems to work well enough.

Yup that's what we do too.. keep both hands on the rear frame of the door (spacing them out will aid stability), and it should be noted that if you're side mounting then using your left knee to prop your lower body out from the fuselage a bit will give you a much better "in the door" shot.. but also present more surface. As for the position causing tumbling on exit.. hasn't been a problem in the last 500 camera jumps...

happy shooting :)
Tan-I, AFF-I, S&TA, Freefall Photographer, Skydive University Coach

Cessna 206U. Its a long way to think about getting to the wheel and to reach it means grabbing the flap which you should never do.

When the U206 comes out at our DZ, we have a nice horizontal handle forward of the door and a small step that enables you to get out to the wheel (make sur the pilot has it braked!) which is still a challenging climb out but a perfect exit! With out handles I would do one of three exits:

1. right foot at bottom rear of door, one or both hands holding on to the door opening on the rear of the door (the lower te better), pushing on your foot and pulling on your hands, floating your left foot.

2. same (but opposite) stance from the front of the door

3. both hands in rear bottom corner of door, entire body hanging. This is obviously the most committing of the three, so make sure your spot is good before climbing out, cause you're not getting back in once you're out there, and a go around would suck in this position. Also, you might not want to try this one if you're wearing wings...they tend to get in the way when climbing out, but it's doable.

I've jumped both types (cargo door/co-pilots door) and I think they're one of the most fun planes to exit while filming. In all of the 206's I've jumped, seat belts are (can be) a big safety issue for the videographer. Please make sure they are well tucked away and as far away from the door as possible.
cheers.
pope

I have 1500+ 206 exits. Front float off a U206 is not easy. if your small you can but strength is needed. Mainly, a rear toe -hang works well. an outside rail would help a bit. Nice exit pic, with plane diving in background. I have got out on the strut in a U206. Have to watch the wind deflector. Also the on strut camera box.
Thats all I know about 206's. :)

Front float is not as hard as all that...it's all about putting the pressure on your hans hanging on to the side of the door and your foot in the front btm corner. for added stability I have also bent my leg and pressed my shin up against the fuselage. Think pushing your body out away from the plane trying to "look back in" at the student. I still say the best angle and easiest exit is hanging from the rear though.
cheers!
pope

So, I finally had the chance to climb on the wheel.
We've mostly been using the 182 but this weekend we used the206 again. Normally I hang out of the rear of the door. but I Asked to pilot if he would lock ed brake and let me give it a whirl.

It was much easier and with the exception of almost breaking my thumb as I climbed out it was a sweet exit. (my thumb was in the track of the door and when I changed the angle of my arm I felt the tension. no problem though, it was easily relieved.)

Here's a pic.
Please disregard the gigantic douchelip in the picture, he's a...well, he's a douchelip.
My photos

My Videos

There is a way to save energy...

-face the tail
-right foot in the door
-right arm against the inside of the plane (the part behind the door) so that your elbow is at the edge of the door.
-Pivot out, not changing the position of your right arm (putting your left hand against the side of the plane to control the pivot makes it more comfy)
-once your body is against the side of the plane your left hand goes to the door frame and you take the position that gets you the best vieuw.

Notice that now you are hanging from your elbow, I've done this about 300 times, works great.
It doesn't require strength, which is nice with fresh TM's that take 40 seconds before exit...

Good luck!
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio