icevideot

Which crossbrace for videots?

I've been jumping moderate to heavily loaded elipticals most of the time I have been skydiving. I also do most of my jumps with a pretty heavy video setup. My Stiletto 97 is ready to give up the ghost so I am thinking of a Xaos 88. I have heard their openings are more camera friendly than the velocity (which I like) or the Extreme(s) (which I have never tried). I am sure some of you are jumping crossbraced, yeah I see you, and was hoping you would share some of the things you haved learned. I am also wondering if it is worth the extra money to get the 27 over the 21? I love a good swoop but I am not likely to ever be competetive and am really interested in getting back from longer spots. Of course if the 27 is a lot more fun?... Thanks for sharing guys.

For those of you newer to the sport that want to downsize a little too quickly just remember you don't buy a canopy based on what you can land at the dropzone. You have to think about landing downwind in some field or backyard that doesn't look nearly as inviting once you are close and committed. Things can get really exciting!

Cheers;)
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Yeah, what he said. XAOS!!! I've got 21's, and they open beautifully. I don't have to worry about openings as I have with other x-braced. I've got quite a few jumps on 27's also, and the openings are soft like the 21's, but more searchy.

If you're ever in Perris, you're welcome to jump mine. XAOS is definitely the way to go for cameraflying and swooping.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

what about the JVX?

check ou http://www.icarusnz.com/jvx.htm

to see a video of the openings subterminal and terminal!

the newest technology, and proving itself in competition!!

;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

my vote is for the Xaos line... 21 if you're going to be doing a lot of "working" jumps... but the 27 performs better and is a much more fun wing to fly.

the 27 opens just as well as the 21, but it packs slightly different (to minimize the "searching") and is considerably more bulky.

nicest opening X's out there IMO.

I have been jumping FX 79 and 70 (wl 2 to 2,6) for swoop/wingsuit /video (and both) for about 700 jumps now and am very happy with the openings. Maybe a bit firmer openings than you'd get with Xaos 21, but especially with wingsuit I do not like too slow openings. Try, and just be sure you got the "bigger" slider with the FX, as some older have small sliders and openings are not so soft... Definately also Xaos 21 will be worth trying and then deciding which one you like more.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I have a 21 cell Xaos 98 and a Velo 96. Hands down, the Xaos is the most comfortable and reliable opener. When I want less stress on the skydive, that's what I hook up. However, the Velo completely smokes it in performance and I am a bit of a performance whore...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Thanks a lot for all the input from each of you. Everything is inline with what I have heard before but it means more to me to hear it from camera flyers. I am a little surprised to hear the velocity performs that much better but PD definitely builds nice rides. Since the Xaos 21 opens a bit softer and is a lot cheaper (if you know where to shop) I am going to go that route. All I need is a couple of busy weekends and I'll be ordering a shiny new 88.

Thanks again and cheers,
Robin
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

I put about 400 jumps on a Xaos-21 108 before getting my Xaos-27 93 and Velocity 90. I've since (as of this post) put 150 jumps on the Xaos-27 (which I'm going to be selling soon!) and 850 jumps on the Velo. I jump a camera (sidemounted on a Rawa) or Cameras (top mounted on a Bat-Rack)on every single jump aside from Hop-n-pops where I'm concentrating on swooping.

My Velocity is my preferred wing because of its opening AND swooping characteristics. It's more predictable under normal circumstances, and I've got it dialed in much better for swooping. Having said that, I jump my Xaos-27 for most of my wing-suit jumps, as it seems to handle higher speed openings much better, and won't go into as violent of a dive in line twists.

My reccomendation? I'd say that if you can, jump the Velo, Xaos-21 and Xaos-27. I'd pick the Velo, but that's based on many characteristics and my personal preferences. I think all three canopies are great choices for flying camera and for swooping.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

If you are looking for a canopy that opens good, I would suggest something non crossbraced, like a katana. If you are looking for performance then crossbraced is the way to go. If you want descent performance with descent openings demo a Katana. you will end up giving up performance for openings, so you need to decide what you want more. Buying any 7 cell crossbraced other than a velo is just wrong.

Keep in mind that the lower cost of the Xaos is the whole get what you pay for thing. THe lower cost may be offset in the future by repairs from the thing falling apart...and they do.

Really? I've owned 3 Xaos' (2 21's and a 27) and have had no problems with them. What problems have you run into with them falling apart?

As to the question, the 21 is by far the nicest and most consistent openings I have ever seen...and I've jumped a lot of different canopies. The 27 isn't too bad either, not quite as nice as the 21 but still very good and consistent, well within the needs for a full time videographer. The performance is also quite nice...I can't say much about distance as I overload mine quite a bit so I can go really really fast, but I am quite pleased with how they fly.

Once I have had my fill of speed, and when it is time to get new gear, I'll without a doubt be getting another Xaos, but at a more sensible wingloading. Whether a 21 or a 27 I'm not sure yet...it may depend on how my neck is feeling at the time...;)
Hope that helps...
Miami

bump

so it's a year since this thread happened and a lot more jvx canopies are out there being jumped...

I have been jumping a friend's hybrid 84 JVX @ 2.2 for a few weekends of 'vidioting' and really liked it!

For comparison I usually jump a Xaos27-86 and a Xaos21-100.

Anyone out there been using a jvx for video work?

ZP, hybrid or sail? (a different friend of mine uses his sail jvx for video)

How has it been treating you?

How many jumps did you get per lineset?

I have over 100 video jumps on my JVX84Hybrid now (WL 2.2) .

I am a drouge whore most of the time but get to sneak a few in and I compete in freestyle as well, as the video guy!!!

Openings have been great, recovery arc has been predictable and the swoops have been mint.

i have had the 1 or two funky openings but nothing that resembles line twists or a cutaway....I pack my own.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have probably only put 50 or so jumps on my Velo 103 loaded to around 2.2, but i really like it. My gear isn't the heaviest out there though, PC 109 with a 350D mounted on a Bonehead Optik.

I find that i am very focused on pulling stable with my wings closed and i don't try to fly her through the opening at all. (This was the advice i received from a very experienced mentor who flies a velo + cam) So i pitch and relax in the harness, if she wants to go left i go with her, hands always ready to go the handles or risers though.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky