kmcguffee

Sony HDR-HC3

I found this online today concerning the new Sony HD camera. http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-to-Announce-Lower-Priced-HDV-Camcorder-HDR-HC3.htm

Any thoughts on this new camera? The pictures make it look like one of the DVD camcorders instead of miniDV cassette. That would suck.

Maybe some of you camera nerds can read the specs and interpret into english for the rest of us.;)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

t's a 3ccd hd camcorder

The supposedly "leaked" manual in the link I posted says it will be a single 1/3" CMOS camera. I like the idea of a 3ccd camera better though. Hopefully you are correct.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

I just recently purchased my first camera rig, and went with the PC1000. At the time I contacted SONY about the HDR-HC3 camera and they told me that the lens could not be replaced with a wide angle. So it seems as if this is not an option for skydiving... If anybody knows differently please let me know, but it seems that the cheapest sony HD camera that could be used is in the $3k range, and is also not very small...
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I just recently purchased my first camera rig, and went with the PC1000. At the time I contacted SONY about the HDR-HC3 camera and they told me that the lens could not be replaced with a wide angle.

Maybe you phrased the question poorly and the person you spoke with at Sony didn't really understand. By "replaced", they might think you're talking about the internal lens. But "attached", yeah, it looks like from the specs and from the picture where you can see the threading for lense attachments, we can put 30mm wide angle lenses on it.

Btw, B&H is listing them for April delivery.

Funny though, in there search options, it wasn't listed under the HDV camcorders, just the DV list, on the second page.

I think what some amateur cameraflyers have been waiting for has finally arrived: "You can even shoot HD video and take a 2.3-megapixel still at the same time." Therefore no need for a seperate video and still camera. Now, if there is only a remote shutter release switch for this function... But if you're spending this much money on a camera to jump with, you're probably not an amateur. And if you're not an amateur, you're still shooting a better still camera than 2.3 mp.

peace
Karen Lewis
http://www.exitshot.com

Does anybody know if it's possible to fit a remote shutter release switch to use the still camerafunction while filming?

I dont think the camera allows for simultanious use of the video and still option. It will probably be like most videocamera's with stills function, you lose a few seconds of video when you shoot a still.
Although I could be wrong...but I have to see it first before I believe it :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Does anybody know if it's possible to fit a remote shutter release switch to use the still camerafunction while filming?

I dont think the camera allows for simultanious use of the video and still option. It will probably be like most videocamera's with stills function, you lose a few seconds of video when you shoot a still.
Although I could be wrong...but I have to see it first before I believe it :P

Yes, you are wrong. If you don't know for sure or don't have a reliable source, posting what you "guess" isn't helpful. Also, if you read my previous post and link on the website, it does allow stills during video. What we don't know yet is if there is a remote shutter release option for it.

Not trying to get on your case... just check your info and read the whole thread...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

The extreme slow-mo option on the camera is what has me most excited btw. Too bad it doesnt seem to go beyond 3 seconds (resulting in a 12 second slowmo).

That would be awesome if you could record a whole dive like that.

And already proved myself wrong by reading a few more specs. Seems that the stills option shoots 4 MP stills if you use it without video, and 2 MP stills during video...which should indicate that it definately doesnt screw up the videoB|

Its just that I had a DV camera from JVC a few years back that also claimed to shoot video and stills at the same time in the initial press-release...while it didnt when I finaly got it...

Now let them work on creating a slowmo option that lasts at least 60 seconds for the next camera:)

and small ps. on amateur/professional definitions:P
Amateur> someone doing it as a hobby
Professional> someone who is doing it as his profession (payd)

Having expensive stuff doesnt make you a professional, and you can also have professionals who work with the cheepest camera's you can find...

Professionals arent just amateurs with expensive gear...

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

From dmw.com.au's review, a clarification on still sizes:

The HDR-HC3 camcorder can take 4MP still images that get stored on a Memory Stick PRO Duo. It has a dual record function that allows you to shoot video and simultaneously capture 2.3 megapixel stills (16:9) in high definition mode and 1.7-megapixel stills (4:3) in standard definition mode.

Sony's RMVD1 specs from sonystyle.ca

Material: PC
Colour: Silver/Grey
Operating Temperature: -0 to 40° C
Storage Temperature: -10 to 60° C
Controllable function: POWER On/Off, PHOTO (shutter), REC Start/Stop, Variable Zoom (2 steps)
Remote Controller: Wired
Length of Cord: 1500mm
Supplied Accessories: Pouch
Dimensions (WxHxD): 39 x 40 x 36mm
Weight: Approx. 44g

From that i'm willing to speculate that it's a do-able thing...

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

The extreme slow-mo option on the camera is what has me most excited btw. Too bad it doesnt seem to go beyond 3 seconds (resulting in a 12 second slowmo).

Does this mean that the camera shoots 4 times as many frames per second? Or does it just digitally extend the time by displaying each frame four times as long, or does it digitally "fill in" the 3 extra frames with some sort of digital morphing technology?

Also, is this feature easily triggered by a LANC controller so that the 3 seconds of filming can begin at any time a jumper decides?

Even better, does it easily transition from full motion to slow motion, and then back again when the 3 seconds have finished recording?

It sounds like this has the potential to be a very cool feature.

-Matt
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Does this mean that the camera shoots 4 times as many frames per second? Or does it just digitally extend the time by displaying each frame four times as long, or does it digitally "fill in" the 3 extra frames with some sort of digital morphing technology?

I dont know how the function is triggered, or when and how it goes back to normal filming.
But from the samples I've seen so far, the camera actualy seems to shoot extra frames. The only 'but' being, that it shoots them at 1/4 resolution of HDV (so the extra frames fit in the same bandwidth, tapewise..as the camera doesnt speed up the tape for slowmo's, which would make full-res slowmo's possible).
So the Slowmo's are on DV-res (and even then look a little blurry) but they look amazing, and unlike anything we've seen so far.

I think it wil be especialy cool for people in base, as 3 seconds is about all you need for any slider up type of jump (just have to get the timing right);)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have been looking seriously at the HC1... and now the HC3.

Whichever one I buy will not be used initially for freefall video-ography (unless I lend it to someone else)... but I'd like that capability in the future.

What's the general opinion of the board... If money is not an object, what would you buy... and why?

Is the weight / size reduction significant enough to merit the (seemingly small) reduction of features and manual control options, from the HC1 to the HC3?

And a Thank you for all of the great knowledge that I have gotten from this board.

Josh

2.3MP is FAR inferior to 35mm film. "Professional" digital photographers shoot anywhere from 8-15MP, I'd say. Somewhere in that range, your quality becomes roughly equivalent to film. I've heard estimates thrown out there before, I think maybe 13MP was the number I heard.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Perry's jumping an HC1. I've seen quite a few of these being jumped around the country in the past 6 months, but I have not seen anybody jumping an HC3 (which just hit the shelves, or is going to as far as I know).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com