Miami

MacBook Pro

Adobe has made no official announcement on when to expect a UB version of Photoshop. When we made the switch from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X [pronounced 'ten'], Adobe was moving from Photoshop 6 to 7. It was months before 7 shipped, but there was never an update to make 6 run on X. So if they stick to that plan... we'd be waiting until CS3. Lets hope they don't pull that one again.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Heh, figures.[:/]
CS2 should still run ok on the macbook though? I think the way it was explained to me was that it may take a little longer (couple of seconds) for Rosetta to load it, but then it will run as fast or faster than the G4...is that correct or did I understand them wrong?
Miami

Well so far I've been pretty pleased with the reviews coming out about the MacBook, much of the negative feedback left about them doesn't really apply to me as it's something I've never used before (i.e. the lack of a firewire 800, changing the PCI card type, etc.).

One thing I am bummed about is what I've heard about photoshop CS2 running on the Intel based Mac (apparently it's not that great [:/]), and that they won't be making an update specific for the Mac until they update photoshop to CS3. Anyone heard anything different or have different information? Also has anyone heard anything about Apple Photo Pro? Supposed to be a new app that may be similar to photoshop, but I couldn't get much from google on it.
Miami

i.e. the lack of a firewire 800

Really? To me, that's a deal breaker, and I'm a die hard Mac fan. I guess I'll have to wait a bit to upgrade to the Intel powered Macs. [:/]

From what I read they took it out because it's not catching on like they thought it would...but if you gotta have it they sell a card for the express card slot, making it a firewire 800, for $19.
Miami

Are you thinking of Aperture, Apple's new digital photography post-production program? It looks pretty cool but I don't know if that is something that you would need/use.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The Photo Pro mentioned in the article was a rumored application, the article you referenced was published before Aperture was released. I am certain that "Photo Pro" is Aperture.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The single-layer burners are considerably thinner than the old single and dual-layer burners. They couldn't fit dual-layer burners into it and keep it so thin. Yes, I realize that it's only a little thinner than the old models... the drive is considerably thinner. Trust me or take a look under the hood of one.

One should also note that it is a new line, not a PowerBook replacement at this point. Currently offered models are the iBook, the MacBook Pro and the PowerBook. The MacBook falls into a peculiar middleground. This is one of the reasons FW800 wasn't included. With space available for only one FW port, they chose 400 as it is a much more popular port. Yes, 800 is backwards compatible, but the 800 chipset is hefty.

Not excuses, just justifications.

Finally decided to make the jump from PC to Mac and ordered my MACBook Pro on 23 Jan.

Just checked the Apple Store and have found out estimated shipped By Feb 24, 2006 estimated
delivered by Mar 3, 2006.

Just a little peeved that I have to wait nearly 6 weeks before I get my hands on it (maybe even longer).

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Did you not notice the expected ship date before you ordered? That have listed as such on their website (albeit in rather small lettering). If you don't want to wait you could always change your order to a powerbook G4...but personally I'm thinking this one is worth the wait. ;)
Miami

They are "announced" but not yet shipping...but i think you will be pleased with your purchase.

Last night another jumper friend and I put together a book of photos using the new iPhoto for the family of a friend that died a year and a half ago in a skydiving accident. It worked really slick. I've done books before in previous versions but the new iPhoto is much easier to use. I'm using an old 800mhz G4 iMac and iPhoto is still responsive...it will be real zippy on your new dual core Macbook!!!
--
Murray

MACBook Pro

MacBook Pro. :P

With regards to it not shipping... as was stated elsewhere in the thread it is an announced product but not a shipping product. Like when you see a new car at the car show but won't be able to get it until next year... that sort of thing. They announced a ship date in February, which your order falls into. :)

From what I read they took it out because it's not catching on like they thought it would...but if you gotta have it they sell a card for the express card slot, making it a firewire 800, for $19.

To me, the two significant advantages of the Powerbook over the iBook is the Firewire 800 and the Gigabit Ethernet. I realize the Macbook isn't the same as a Powerbook, but it is priced similarly, so I expect similar functionality.

I'll just have to wait for the new iBooks, or their replacements. That's fine, I personally prefer the durability of the iBook case.

I'm sure the Macbook Pro is a fine product, and I am not trying to knock it.

For Great Deals on Gear

So is anyone using Aperture? I'm thinking I may go with it instead of Photoshop CS2 for a few reasons...a universal version will be released much sooner (before the end of march...anyone's guess when adobe will make a universal CS3), it's less expensive, and I think it would fit my needs nicely where Photoshop would just have a lot of stuff I would never use (I'm a photographer, not a graphic designer).

But I would like to hear some feedback from jumpers using it before I commit to anything...
Miami

So is anyone using Aperture? I'm thinking I may go with it instead of Photoshop CS2 for a few reasons...a universal version will be released much sooner (before the end of march...anyone's guess when adobe will make a universal CS3), it's less expensive, and I think it would fit my needs nicely where Photoshop would just have a lot of stuff I would never use (I'm a photographer, not a graphic designer).

But I would like to hear some feedback from jumpers using it before I commit to anything...

Aperture is like iPhoto Pro. I STRONGLY suggest you go to an Apple Store and try the software for a significant amount of time before you make a decision. The software is perfect for a narrow spectrum of photographers and overkill [or underkill] for others.

That said, I use it.

Definitely going to play with it first...the Apple store is kinda far away so who knows when it'll actually happen though. Just want some feedback from people using it. Right now my plan to use it to touch up pictures (mostly skydiving pictures), fix minor imperfections in them (lighten, darken, crop, fix angles, fix colors, etc.), and then print them.
Miami

For what you want to do iPhoto's tools might well be enough. I think you should try out iPhoto before dropping a bunch of $$$ on Aperture.
--
Murray