Miami

MacBook Pro

The thing about "HD" screens on laptops [read: PCs that claim as much] is that they use pixel blending. In english, the computer creates a high resolution interface [lets say 1920x1200] and the graphics processor scales it down to the screen's physical resolution [say 1440x900]. So while you're getting the workspace of a high-resolution screen, you're getting a blurry, crappy mess.

Well....given that I edit HD every day of my life (for shows you might watch) that is simply not so.
And it's quite easy to demonstrate with a pixel map or a Spyder, or any other similar system.
Additionally, we have 5 G5duallies, and a slew of Cinema's. And several 234b's, and at least 3 Sony laptops with 1900 x 1200 screens, all are calibrated every time they move into a new lighting environment, yadayadayada. For broadcast and film, we aren't capable of working with "blurry, crappy, messes."
Did I mention I have a Wintel system as well?

FWIW, even if it was scaling, there are some significant benefits to scaling down IF it's done appropriately, even tho it's not accurate for compositing and color correction.

There is a significant difference in working with 1080 HD on a 1900 x 1200 monitor vs 1600. Which also has PAR issues...but that's another thread.

Maybe a valid point, but I don't think a good one. :P

But I think I am going to upgrade to pro, simply to get a hold of DVDSP. iDVD is awesome, but I would like to mess with compressor and DVDSP to try to avoid using DL DVDs this year for our club video.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

So does the quality of the HD footage change at all during the editing process on the MBP, or is it just not adequate to view on the screen of the MBP? Something just hooking up a 30" cinema would fix?

No, where/how the media is stored and previewed makes zero difference in quality of output, only quality in playback and preview quality. Once you render to a final output source, whatever it may be, the quality of the originally captured footage is what will be used for output.