Miami

MacBook Pro

That's what I was looking at...1 gig of RAM from Apple with the student discount is $270 plus tax. EBay has what appears to be identical RAM for about half that. Instalation instructions look pretty easy...just pop the battery off, unscrew a plate under that, and plug in the new RAM.

Go to www.OtherWorldComputing.com to buy RAM for Apple products. You won't void the warranty by installing it, and they usually have a lifetime warranty... in other words, if the ram fails, they'll replace it.
Apple will only honor it the length of machines warranty (definitely not lifetime).

I would never buy memory from ebay...

Changing subject slightly, does any one know where I can get a case for the Macbook Pro?

Looking in the Apple Store there doesnt seem to be any available yet.

Mind you according to TNT my MBP is still in Shanghai, wonder if I'll get it tomorrow ??

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Recieved my MBP yesterday afternoon, only 3 days later than expected.

WOW

It rocks.

Just finding my way round it at the mo but iMovieHD is fantastic, already done a tandem edit on it.

iTunes is sweet seemless with my 30Gb iPod video.

The most impressive thing was when I got back to my pad last night, opened up my MBP and it picked up the wireless network on my Win XP machine straight away.

I managed to load 4Gb of music onto my MBP with no problem what so ever.

The amazing thing is that I had tried to do exactly the same with a Win XP laptop, and had problem after problem.

I am completely hooked on it now, guess Ill have to get an iMac or Power Mac for home.

Having raved about my MBP there are a couple of things that I dont like, it has a US keyboard, that means the @ key is in a different location and boy does it get HOT almost to hot to touch after a while.

Still small price to pay.

Buzz

xxxx
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

The most impressive thing was when I got back to my pad last night, opened up my MBP and it picked up the wireless network on my Win XP machine straight away.

Heheh, yeah, networking a Mac and a PC has been that easy for more than a decade. And Apple was even the first manufacturer to make wireless networking available from the factory.

Glad you're enjoying it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

We got wireless after I got my MacBook Pro...it had to be setup with the wife's pc (linksys), but the MacBook picked it up immediately. Last night after we got home from the Apple store (Wife had Apple envy pretty bad...made me go buy her an iBook), her's picked up the wireless the moment it had booted...she was convinced I had done something to make it work while she wasn't looking!;)

My MBP also gets extremely hot, so that seems pretty normal. I'm looking at getting an iLap to make sure it doesn't overheat from my lap. Also going to get Airport Express Base Station for our wireless since we are now entirely an Apple household.B|
Miami

I would suggest picking up either the airport extreme ( a little pricey), or a Linksys Router (model #WRT54G). Much cheaper than an airport express and 3-4 times the signal strength. Sure the express cannot work with itunes, but really isn't strong enough to support a homes wireless network.

...a Linksys Router (model #WRT54G).

That's the router I'm using now, but every time it goes down I have to use a pc instead of a mac to get it back up again...big pain in the ass so I want one that is familier with macs. The express seemed to be the best bet, my home network is down right tiny (furthest we will evey be is about 30 feet away from it). I thought the extreme was the same as the express, just with the modem built in? I already have a decent cable modem so don't need another...
Miami

You need to update the firmware...
Goto http://192.168.1.1
the password is admin, the name is left blank

*** The linksys router may not support video chat***

You don't need windows to do anything on the router, you just need to know how to do it...
PM me if you need any help beyond this

That's cool...although I didn't know what to do once I was there...:P

That would explain a lot about the video chat...I've been unable to connect with anyone else except for text chat.

Maybe I will go with the airport extreme...then I could off my modem and wireless router on ebay and have it consolidated to one unit that is easy to use with macs...must do more research!;)
Miami

I just bought one when we got my wife's computer...they gave us a $30 discount on it because we got it with the computer. I have not installed it yet, still running on the trial .mac offer.

I think it's worth it just for the fact that you can use it to publish a website and it covers the domain name (although it'll be http://web.mac.com/username/iWeb/sitename instead of just your site name) and the hosting. That alone would cost more to do outside of .mac.

There are some other cool features...you should be able to sign up for the trial period to check it out, I think they are worth it though.
Hope this helps...
Miami

You still need the cable modem with the airport extreme/express... and, I'm not so sure that .Mac is worth the $$

I guess it differs per person. A lot of my clients are dissappointed that they bought it while others are happy.

I use .Mac to sync my cal between 2 computers, plus I can deduct it as a business expense.

Ahh, I see. Should probably stick with the linksys I already have then and just update the firmware. When I went to that url I didn't understand what it needed...expect a PM coming your way soon.;)

The .mac account definitely depends on the person who is going to use it. I had been researching setting up a website for a while now, and .mac will let me do it for half the price.
Miami

Hmm...that would be a problem...gotta be able to video chat with my hunny when I'm on the road!;)

On a side note, anyone who is actually using their exceedingly hot MacBook on their lap (or any laptop really), get an iLap. CompUSA had it cheaper then the online store and it is awesome! It keeps the hotness off of your lap and the cushion makes it super comfy for typing and trackpadding. Plus it's very stable in your lap and the computer doesn't move on the surface. Very well thought out piece of equipment!
Miami