Miami

MacBook Pro

Woo-hoo! Let us know how things go for you. If you have any questions, be sure to ask...lots of Mac users on here.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

So now I'm posting from the MacBook...it came a day sooner than expected.B|

First impression is very good! The built in iSight is very cool with the photo booth software. It is noticeably faster then my wife's Dell, I didn't have my G4 long enough to get a feel for how fast it was in comparison. I've spent a lot of time today loading and editing pictures in iPhoto...it was very nice to breeze through them as fast as I wanted! Battery life is great...have not actually checked what is says I have left but have been on for hours and it is running strong! The magnetic ac plug is awesome...easy to use and breaks away clean and easy!

So, needless to say I am happy so far that I made the swap. This machine should meet my needs for many years to come...at least it better!;)
Miami

Miami --

Thanks for all the updates. As someone who is getting ready to make the switch over to Apple, I follow these threads closely.

I'm going to go with a Intel 20-inch iMac, 2G RAM, 500G HD, and 256m video card. A few months later, I'll likely add a MacBook Pro to the collection for the DZ, traveling, etc.

Keep the updates coming...especially if you buy Aperture down the road.

Good to see you're doing well!

Blue Skies,

Bryan

Hey Bryan! Shoot, I should have looked you up when I was in Mt Home, did my last demo for the academy there back in Oct...just forgot you were over there!

That was the system I got to play with at the apple store before my MacBook came in, the 20 in iMac. It didn't have as much RAM as you are getting but it was still awesome, I think you'll like it a lot! I just switched to Mac's also and it is so great how easy everything works. As soon as they release a universal Aperture I'm gettin it, so I'll definitely post a review of it.;)
Miami

MB38 -- Thank you for all of the updates and insight that you've given us. It's always helpful to get info from someone on the inside!

Miami -- Something kind of funny....when you were in Mtn Home, I was in Colorado for the weekend. :S I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow to catch up...

Bryan

TELL US MORE!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

He can't tell you more because Apple doesn't share product releases with anyone, not even people who work at the stores.

Apple just sent out a press release inviting the media to check out new fun products on the 28th of February. Til then it's all speculation and rumors.

Apple just sent out a press release inviting the media to check out new fun products on the 28th of February. Til then it's all speculation and rumors.

Precisely. While information is made available to retail employees that isn't made available to the public, Apple does not explicitly include details of new products in that information. That said, the information is available to those who know how to ask or where to look. But... that's still my signature on the NDA, so everybody - including myself - has to wait until the 28th to learn all the details.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Fun products = More Consumer Related? Not Powermac is my guess.

hmmmm....
Mac Mini with DVR capabilities?
new iBook...the MacBook?
new "true" video iPod?
Full length movies on the iTunes store?
More video/tv shows?
iPod BoomBox?

There are tons of rumors....as usual it will be interesting to see what Steve pulls out of his black turtleneck sleeve.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Maybe he'll wear pink this time!

From macrumors.com (obviously speculation):

American Technology Research expects Apple to announce "its first, full-length films available for download on iTunes". This would expand iTunes content beyond the music, music videos and television episodes currently available. ATR also expects a widescreen consumer notebook and an entry level Mac mini which includes a remote control and FrontRow software. In what may provide possible confirmation, FreeMacBlog claims that Apple is no longer taking large orders for Mac minis, suggesting that they may have cleared out current inventory.

Fun products = More Consumer Related? Not Powermac is my guess.

hmmmm....
Mac Mini with DVR capabilities?
new iBook...the MacBook?
new "true" video iPod?
Full length movies on the iTunes store?
More video/tv shows?
iPod BoomBox?

There are tons of rumors....as usual it will be interesting to see what Steve pulls out of his black turtleneck sleeve.

Well, not really impressed with the release. Looks like the big thing is the new Mac mini with Intel chips replacing the old Mac mini. Also an iPod Hi-Fi...stereo setup for the iPod. Cool stuff but no new universal software or iBook goodies (for the wife) like I was hoping...
Miami

Ordered the 1.6 with a single 1gb stick of ram so I can upgrade later, but those nice mac people are sending me the 1.8.

Tried tracking it through TNT but it seems to still be in Shanghai :-(

If you are interested you can folow its progress here Buzz's Macbook pro using this ref no

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

That's exactly how I had mine before they did the upgrade...only I changed mine to the dual 2.0 after they delayed it for the upgrade so I could have the extra video RAM. It seems pretty easy to put another 1 gig of RAM in these machines, have you shopped around at all or do you plan on buying direct from Apple?

edit - Mine seemed to stay in China for a while then sped through the rest and showed up a day before when Apple told me.
Miami

RAM will cost about twice as much from an Apple store as it would from a generic retailer [online if possible]. It is simply not worth buying RAM from Apple: they overcharge and it's the same stuff. A gig will probably run you $300+ from Apple.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

That's what I was looking at...1 gig of RAM from Apple with the student discount is $270 plus tax. EBay has what appears to be identical RAM for about half that. Instalation instructions look pretty easy...just pop the battery off, unscrew a plate under that, and plug in the new RAM.
Miami