airborne82nd

On your back for tandem openings??

Does anyone go on there back for the openings??

I am infont of the tandem they give a wave and as the go through the trapt door and the bag comes off the go below my level. Then as they go by i do a barrel roll keeping them in the shot till i am on my back then i sit there watching them open 5-6 seconds and then i roll back over and track and open.

i dont go under the tandem like some do

does anyone else do the barrol roll or back fly for the openings or do most knee fly or go high on there shins and get it that way.

i think some others have double jointed necks.

That footage where the vid is on his back underneath and the deploy go down through the trapt door at the vid guy and then snatch up is awesome. ill never do it to risky but it does look awesome.

anyone do anything intersting to catch the opening?????

As opposed to the barrel roll, try 1/2 of a back loop as they go by. This keeps you from having the pic. rotate 180 in the frame.

Also, once you are on your back, try back tracking as it will allow you to start your track sooner, and film the opening longer, and ultimately get yourself open sooner.

at my dz tandems get out last, some days going on your back to film the tandem opening means you won't make it back to the lz. make sure you know not only your altitude.... but where "you" are above the ground.
off field landings can suck all for a few seconds of footage.
Stay Safe,
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

yeah i back track like that but i dont have the skill to do a 1/2 back loop, that must look awesome i could just imagine how that looks.

i should practice that in the tunnel and go out and perfect it then i can do it with tandems.

very cool

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just pull your knees up to your chest, and look up to follow them as they deploy. As you rotate to upright, get your hands behind you (kind like a sit-fly thing), and you're there. Keep your legs knida in and together, if you let them get too far out, the wind will catch them, and you'll end up doing the complete back loop.

Once you are stable, as in you've stopped the rotational momentum, go ahead and strech out into your back track. After a weekend of practice, it will all happen in one smooth movement.

In regards to the other comment. about back tracking, and being far out, and not making it back, you need to have some separation of some kind from your tandem regardless of your spot. Be it vertical or horizontal, either way, you just cannot dump so soon after the tandem that you don't have time to get a little footage.

He says it's a shame to land off just for a few seconds of footage. I say it's a shame to dump too close to a tandem just to avoid landing off, and I'm right.

Going from belly to sit to back while watching somebody deploy is a winner as is doing a bit of a back track to get some sep.

HOWEVER -- ALWAYS make sure you're belly to earth when you deploy. ALWAYS. Not in the process of getting belly to earth, but actually belly to earth.

We have too much crap on our heads to even think about it any other way.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

FlyinseivLP2
there is one ass in every crowd who decides to run his mouth for no other reason but to be an idiot, thanks for adding nothing to the discusssion.

you win the ( if you were at my dz you would get a blanket party ) award.

of course i can do a half back loop i fly on my back.

in fact out of the 7 different cam people at my dz there are only 2 of us that fly on our backs and 3 of us dont wear wings.

i am sure all can fly on there back but they dont like to the other cam people are belly flyers.

the other guy who flys on his back goes under the tandem, i dont.

its about style & comfort and what you like to do.

I can do a half back loop but doing it a few feet from a tandem and keeping them perfectly in the shot. so till i work that out but i am greatful for davepleaka for sugesting a cool deployment shot.

i dont land off and i dont track for too long so thanks for addressing the tracking and landing off, I understand that and take great care that doesnt happen. so thanks for the comment JIMOKE i really appreciate it.

thanks to those who gave a normal, functional, inteligent, insightful and relevent advice.

hats off to ou for sharing your expereince.

I also like the back to earth opening shot, and it is kind of cool to see my feet in the frame as I back track away. I have done both the half barrel role and the half a back loop, it all depends on the speed of the TM for me. Sometimes the back-loop method pops me up, so I do the barrel role, like a half-ass pomal-horse kind of move. Attached is a shot with my feet in the view. I have a small avi file of a transition. I could send it to you if you like, it is from a customer who took his camera up and took shots of me while I took shots of him.

By the way, those trap door shots are killer when they work!!

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Sweet Shot ZEE!!! ;)

Do you just continue tracking past them in that direction? I have always worried about a TM cut-a-way when I find myself under them, but I know I/we are a little bit away from them. Still it is on my mind.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Sweet Shot ZEE!!! ;)

Do you just continue tracking past them in that direction? I have always worried about a TM cut-a-way when I find myself under them, but I know I/we are a little bit away from them. Still it is on my mind.

Arvel

Thanks, Arvel. Kevin "Kevlar" Mitchell took that shot a few years back when I was doing a tandem video for friend of mine.

I stay in front of them until the tandem opens and then I stretch out - That way I can see if something goes wrong and take action accordingly.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

FlyinseivLP2
there is one ass in every crowd who decides to run his mouth for no other reason but to be an idiot, thanks for adding nothing to the discusssion.

Please read the forum rules.

Keep it civil or get the bumped out of the forum. Your choice.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Slightly off topic but makes for a sweet shot

Pop up a Bit do a 180 and and start tracking away looking back you can keep them in frame then just keep you head focussed on them and do a 1/2 front loop, basically a dive that just slips,

You get a really cool sequence

Jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

this one is a little different but i do it every time. for me it is about the photos. so as soon as the ripcord is pulled i rotate on the 'cartwheel axis' 90 degrees so the photo has the tandem pair, the linestrech and the drouge in. profile styes. i was doing this with a 28mm until i had my 16mm it is much easier to get the framing now
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I do a half backflip. I tried doing a barrelroll but couldn't keep them framed properly.

I throw myself backwards and lean deeply into my wings to stop the rotation. It works.

Depending on the spot I'll hold that from anywhere from half a second to two seconds, then flip to my belly, deeep wings to slow me down, then deploy.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

i go into a sit then on my back. Try waving at the tandem as your on your back. The tandems seem to love it. Either that or its a sympathy laugh...lol Hey Gimpy boy! You going to skyfest?
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

We have Sigma's too, they still have the trap door.

Right, its just not nearly as bad as a Vector or a Racer tandem (I'm going to assume not as bad as the Strong either, but I've never jumped one so I couldn't say).

To those that posted pics, those are some badass pics, good flying.

Personally I like the shot gained from the video guy staying on his belly, but popping up and back out of the burble during deployment, then sliding slightly to the side to let the tandem pair accelerate past during the beginning of canopy flight while the canopy is opening. Its a neat visual and looks really neat on video.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's really about what works for you, and you doing a damn good job at it. Before filming on my back, I would do the roll. The shot looks sweet. But I like filming on my back, and it gives a different perspective. Here's 3 shots, first 2 rolling, and the last on my back. Rough opening for #3.
my pics & stuff!