PhreeZone

Alts for a Cam-eye?

All I need is a record indicator. The LANC port on my PC110 is broke and Sony wants $250 plus shipping to fix it. Is there any ideas out there on something I could rig up that would let me see the record light? I'd clearly perfer to do an led in the ring sight but would settle for about anything cheaper then the repair or new camera cost :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Before LANC ports,

I have the indicator that was a photodiode taped over the LED. A minijack into the DC power plug and it had a red and green led to tape to the ring sight. I don't remember who made them. Brent maybe?

Nope ParaGear still has them #L1248. #L1241 has it's own battery. Or go to Radio shack and put it together.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The mirror won't work since A) Camera is in the Dbox, and B) I'm wearing it with my Skyflyer3 and I can't zip up with anything on my wrist.

The Paragear thing would work. I'd have to take a trip to RadioShack and see if I could figure out how to wire it up. Need a PhotoDiode, LED, battery holder, PCB and....
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Serious? A phototransistor in a common collector circuit, "Re" about 100ohms to limit the current to ~20mA (assuming a 1.5V battery), a nice Kingbright LED in series with Re. $5 worth of parts? No need for a PCB - you could just 'air assemble' the parts first to see if you can get it to work - with 3 components (OK, 4 if you count the battery) it's got to be worth trying.

'BeerPal' me a case if it works.

John

I started with one of the PhotoReceptor on the Record Light Red/Green solutions (that got power from the DC Jack) in '95. Used another one at some time later that worked the same way. Had to go back to it last summer when my new CamEye II broke off in the camera like yours did (Cry! - Finally bought a new camera). They work fine, but let me give you some things to look out for ...

1) no more warnings you are in Photo mode ...

2) and no more warnings that the battery is low / tape is almost used up ...

Well, actually, you still get the warning for case 2. Sort of.

The problem: With this setup you get a red light whenever the camera is in a "power on" mode, and that turns to a green light whenever the photoreceptor picks up light (from the tally light on the camera, you hope ... see #3).

When your camera starts its warning about low battery, or <5 mins of tape left, the tally light on the front of the camera blinks. It blinks if you are recording, OR in standby. So basically, your light no longer works ... since you won't know what mode you are in, recording or not ... it just blinks. Here's where you turn the camera off, and back on, push the button once, and hope.

Solution: Don't ever jump with less than 5 minutes more tape than you plan to use ... or a less than fully charged battery.

3) False "Recording" Indications

If you wire this system inside, and test it thoroughly; it might seem to work fine. Then when you step out into the sun (or point your head out of the door on jump run), your light might turn from red to green without you doing anything ... tricking you into turning off your camera (which turns it on) and then your turn it back on (off) when climbing out ... and then getting you all confused of what status your camera is in ... Doh!

Make sure you test it with the taped up tally light and photoreceptor (usually on the front of the camera) facing direct sunlight. It's sometimes surprising how many of layers of gaffer's tape it takes to block the sun. Also, if the tally light is near the clear plastic that covers the IR emitters and remote sensors, make sure you tape those over too, because bright light could filter through that plastic under your gaffer's tape and cause a false record indication.

Keep these things in mind and you won't have any problems at all.

Sorry to hear 'bout the CamEye. Wish I'd read this newsgroup before I started using them ... I had no idea how many cameras were ruined by the plug breaking off. This time around, I bought the extensions which I keep permanently plugged to the cameras ... I've got the videocam in a D-box and I built a protective wall (from weather stripping and gaffer's tape) around the shutter release plug on my 350D which I hope will protect it from accidental breakage.

Ok... RadioShack sucks.When I asked for a Prototransister the guy gave me a blank stare and pointed me to their parts isle. I go looking and the only one that they have is for IR only. They don't even stock a regular one in their catalog. :S

Now its off to spend a day calling around town to get a 1.79 part :S
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I know nothing about these companies personally, but I keep seeing people (in the USofA) pointed to 'Mouser' and 'Digikey' as sources of mail-order stuff. I don't know whether they have MOQs and huge shipping/handling fees.

Good luck
John

they do have them, all radio shacks have the same inventory, I built one for a friend about 9 months ago, call it a photocell and they may know what the hell your talking about (they aint rocket scientists ya know):P use the biggest of the choices, they range from 1/4" to 1/2 inch, , and come in a multi pack assortment. run yours off a 9volt battery... making sure that the diode you use for your record indicator is 9volt compatible or it will burn really bright....(for about 2 seconds)......... make a complete circuit and...... whala..... very cheap remote record light..

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

all radio shacks have the same inventory,

not in my experience... I had to come to CT to find a RadioShack that stocked little electronics parts... the FL stores I visited didn't have stereo mini-plugs, switches, photoreceptors, anything. Didn't even know what I meant by "LANC" even after I showed them on a Sony miniDV they sold. I ranted about this somewhere in this forum last week. So I'd say make sure you call first.