Rdutch

4way exit coach Dvd teaser

I've been working on a learning aid for upcoming 4way camerapeople. This link is just a preview or a teaser, the final product goes into great detail over every block/random and how they usually come off the plane, also some of the more popular variations and cheats teams often use. The main airplane for the video is an Otter, but I have also included Skyvan and Porter exits. There is good examples of the 3 most popular video exit styles (leading, with, and peeling). I'm about 80% done with the video and then its off to be shown to the best point turners I can find for feedback and editing before release. This Dvd is only for reference, I strongly feel that eveyone that is interested in competition video should develop their own style, one that works best for them. With reference and a little insight gaining the experience and building technique should be a lot easier with the help of this dvd. This also will help out beginning teams that actually turn the points as a reference on how each exit can come out, I'm not a 4way coach so I wont even attempt to tell anyone how to do each exit, its just examples of every block coming off the plane, sometimes with different variations. And included in the end my favorite part the blooper section, I'm looking for any footage that people would like to send to me to include, this isn't a profit motivated project, more to give something back. And offer something out that I have a lot of experience at. Any footage I use will get credit (unless you dont want your name added to your footage).
Anyway enjoy the clip and let me know what you think. Thanks Phree for allowing me to use your server to post this.
www.cajunchickens.com/files/exitsa.wmv

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Excellent footage Ray. Really outstanding effort.

Something I'd like to hear with the images though is a little commentary on how these pieces are coming off the plane and how you as a camera flyer are dealing with them. Maybe you could group them into categories and show & tell how they work (long and round would be just two). Also, I'd like to see & hear you point out the differences betwen obvious counts (nice leg swings on some) to hidden counts (which you also cover very nicely). Also address the issues of tail flyers dropping early or leaving with the team on those long stretched out exits. For me that's a real bugger.

As you can tell, I'd be -far- more interested in commentary than music. ;^)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

All those points are in the final edit, this was just a teaser and only 5 min long the final product is around an hour and 1/2. Dont worry quade you'll be one of the first to see it when Im done with it. The music is only for the teaser, and probably for the bloopers. Theres pro's cons to leading peeling ect, count ect (the count was hard because I hate seeing a count). But any imput is still welcome and thanks so far.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Maybe run through the exit in real time, and then in slow-mo and pause it at certain points to explain things; like what to look for when they actually are exiting, not just when their count says they will.

Graphics saying which type of exit you are doing, and which formation the team is taking out...

Just my 2c....
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Nice Ray. Very cool.

As for feedback, I agree with what everyone else has said. I also agree that each cameraflyer develops their own style. I've see all of the exit types done well, and I've seen them all done poorly. Team training is just as much cameraflyer training, and is invaluable.

I'll see if I have anything to contribute. What's the best format to send it to you in?

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Congratulations for your effort!

From my experience (12 years 4-way camera), showing good exits is nice but only half of the job.

If I am beginner I would like to see common mistakes - not as blooper section, but how they look from cameraman view and what to do to help myself in case of....

I agree that each one of us should develop his own style and those are only guidelines....

If you are interested in some Cessna (C-185) footage let me know.

Regards,

Boris Pecnik

Hey, I don't remember signing a model waver;)

The advice about tricky parts of the exit is a good idea....Mention something about filming sunsets on the ride to altitude in there:ph34r:
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334