andy2

digitude alt

I haven't used one, but as I see it the major arguments against them are:

a) they use batteries, which can run out and fail, whereas a standard clock-type alti needs no power source.

b) they are electronic, which means it could go spectacularly wrong without you noticing. Also, people have been known to forget to turn them on, thus leaving them only with their eyes.

If you decide to use one, wear a mechanical as a backup (use a backup anyway). 2 is 1, and 1 is 0.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

a) they use batteries, which can run out and fail, whereas a standard clock-type alti needs no power source.

b) they are electronic, which means it could go spectacularly wrong without you noticing. Also, people have been known to forget to turn them on, thus leaving them only with their eyes.

I have a mechanical and it has ceased to function before....and also have had it show some bizarre altitudes at times. it took a chamber ride with me and had no problems. just because you have a mechanical does not mean it will work as prescribed.

your best bet is to get used to what the ground looks like at certain altitudes. your eye's are an excelent tool if you let them be trained.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

The advantage of mechanical alti's is that they have a basically very simple design - and I think that is an advantage for this crucial piece of equipment.
I bought my alti around 1980, I stopped jumping in 1991 and when I resumed 11 years later, I dug the old alti out of a cupboard, gave it to a pilot to check during a lift and it worked like a treat. So my vote goes to mechanical alti's :ph34r:

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

As long as it was calibrated on the ground you could turn it on in freefall and it would be correct. I've only done this once, but it worked.

I love my digitude and I've never had a prob with it, bit I only have 300+ jumps with it

They rock! Unfortunately someone thought they needed it more than I did, so I don't have it any more.

I liked it alot and if I didn't already have an Alti 2 I'd sure consider getting another one.

Remember to turn it off so the batteries keep longer.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

They probably work just the same.. hell they could even be more accurate but the idea just doesn't seem right to me. I'm happy with a normal alti.

Anyone have a picture of one on there hand in freefall? They look pretty big to!

I have my FT-50 (my absolute favorite, like it over an Alti-III) on my main rig, and the digitude on my backup. I like the FT-50 much much better, Both are very accurate, and only see changes at around 13-14 K range (digitude reports 500 ft higher than the FT-50 or Analog counterparts). Its easier to read than the digitude for a quick check, I like it.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Thanks for all the responses, and yeah, I'd like to see a pic of it on someone's hand if anyone know where one is, point me in the right direction.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I can't find a picture on the web, but if you have (or know anyone who has) the Poynter/Turoff book "The Skydiver's Handbook", there is a black and white picture of it in freefall on someone's hand there.

It's a good book anyway, I'd advise you to get it.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Anyone have a picture of one on there hand in freefall? They look pretty big to!

I have a really tiny hand (wear kids small-med gloves) and my digitude is much lighter than Derek's alti. As for size, they are about the same, but the digitude is much thinner. I'll take a picture of it on my hand tonight when I get home. I'll also take a picture of my hand on something common sized like a sheet of paper or something so you can get an idea of the size of my hand.

As for being harder to read, well, my brain works better with digital, I have trouble reading analog watches, I mean I can read them but I can't just glance and it clicks, I really have to look at it.
Fly it like you stole it!

I prefer the Digitude to the Altimaster III (those are the only two I'd consider). The Digitude has a built in light for night jumps, a low battery warning (carry a spare), is lighter than an Altimaster, sits right where I want it on my hand (the Altimaster tends to require more wrist rotation to read), and can be turned on at any time (most people are in the habit of zeroing when they get on the plane, so it shouldn't really be an issue). And last but not least, my mind can register the numbers on the Digitude a split second faster than it can figure out the altitude using a dial.

As soon as I was cleared from AFF I strapped on a Digitude and never looked back. I love it! I found that the Alti-3, while a well-built unit, was way too hard for me to read below 1000 feet, and I also don't like analog watches - I can read them, but it takes a second. They seem well built but probably will not take the same pounding as an Alti-3 would, owing to the plastic case. One of the senior instructors at my DZ uses one as well and swears by it.

The battery arguement is pretty spurious, IMHO. Just carry a spare and replace it when the light comes on, no big deal.

I think it comes down to whether you're an 'analog' person or a 'digital' person. What flavor ice-cream do you like? ;)

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I consider myself to be a modern woman in a modern world. I own and love my Digitude and wouldn't have any other. I find them to be extremely accurate and some even are accurate down to the tenth of a foot.

They are very easy to read and interpret which is great for me while doing AFF. I don't like to spend time reading my altimeter when I can just glance at it for a split second and know exactly where I am.

Personally, I don't care for face altimeters. When you need to know what time it is quickly do you like having to read the face of a clock to figure it out or see the numbers digitally? Yes they run on a single double A battery but I have never had it fail yet. Plus they light up which is a nice feature for night jumps.

My opinion is ... You've got to have the Tude. They work great.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Hey, and while I'm thinking about it, it's worth remembering that Alti-2, the makers of the Altimaster altimters that everyone so loves (even in that nauseating DZ rental pink color :P) now manufacturer a fully-digital altimeter: The Neptune.. So they can't be all bad.

I still love my 'tude though!

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

"while a well-built unit, was way too hard for me to read below 1000 feet, and I ..."

- You know, nothing is really accurate under 1000 feet. What I mean is, at 6000 a hundred or so isn't very important, but at 300 you better be quick!
Try getting used to doing some judging of height on the surroundings, and not only rely on mechanics..

Tomppa

I used a digimaster a long time back and thought it was FANTASTIC, particularly when debriefing AFF as you could tell them they pulled at 5.2 as opposed to "Between 55 and 5.

As for the batteries story, and things going spectacularly wrong - I guess that means leaving the Pro Track at home and removing the Cypress from your rig, and getting a solar powered camera.... Alti's stop working. Eyes come first.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Ah but even regular altimeters can fail. I used a borrowed "traditional" altimeter last weekend on a solo, and I looked at it and saw, 10,500 - a few seconds later saw 10,500, a few seconds later saw 10,500 again. At that point I reached over and bonked it and promptly lost a couple of thousand feet. :-) All altimeters can fail.

You can turn them on in freefall (done that), and for me - a member of the digital age, I can read one MUCH faster than an analog altimeter. An analog altimeter makes me have to think.

And for the concerns about them being digital - I assume you don't use a Cypres then?

I prefer my Digitude anyday over an analog. The only reason I have an Analog at all is for those long CRW jumps which use up the batteries at a much faster rate.

W

I find them to be extremely accurate and some even are accurate down to the tenth of a foot.

Hmm are they? I mean, if you take 2 regular alti´s they read slightly different altitudes. Both are accurate enough tho (presumably).

With a digitude, you get an EXACT number. I don´t think that means it´s more accurate though, at least not THAT accurate. Just because it´s digital and gives that exact number doesn´t mean it´s right about said number.

Not sure if I´m wording this right, it´s a mathematical thing.

I´ve jumped with a guy who has a pro-track, same as me. We compared them after, they read a 100 ft difference in exit-height. I´m pretty sure we jumped at the same time ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia