BlueSBDeath

Instant Gratification With Digital

I love this Digital Rebel, and I am learning more about it every day!!! The instant gratification is the best part, land, pack, mix video, and view pictures!! Here are a couple from this weekend, cropped, yet enlarged to show great detail. This is a lot more fun than waiting for film!!!!

Smile :)
Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Yea, I always hated to just hope there were some good shots on the film. Now with a few minutes you can crop the best and delete the rest!!

On a different subject, now that 3 of us local camera guys have Digital, what is the going rate for stills on CD to customers?? We want to offer it soon, but don't have a clue what to charge!!

Arvel

$10 more than you charge for film. If the concession ownder provides the CD-R's and the copier, he gets $5 and you get $5 more.

If you provide the copier, the CD-R's and do the work, the $10 obviously goes to you.

If you charge more, folks balk and go film. We are doing a majority in digital at Byron now. We all have digi Rebels, with my 10D being the only exception.

This stand-alone copier is the way to make it happen. We have a similar unit at the DZ and I have one of these for when I travel.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=alera+technology&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Df6ab05eabacbabf2%26clickedItemRank%3D5%26userQuery%3Dalera%2Btechnology%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dpreview.com%252Fnews%252F0311%252F03111002aleraphotocruiser.asp%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPIndex2%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dpreview.com%2Fnews%2F0311%2F03111002aleraphotocruiser.asp

$229 is a good price. I'll add that to my list.

When doing an event, and offering a CD of pics, what is the fair market value?
It is easier to hand over a CD, then to make prints....but now people can take your stuff and copy it for free. So what is that worth.

What would you charge for an event cd of pics, and how many pics is fair for that price?

thanks,
don't mean to hijack.
jeff D-16906

I'm sure event pictures would be handled differently than a tandem/aff student's pics would.

We hand the 35mm film to the student after the jump and they can do whatever they want with it. I have no problem doing this with a CD as well (thanks Deuce for the web link!).

Event photos (prints), IMHO, would ideally first be available AT the event site (best sales are there when the emotions are high and memory fresh). Next, after the event, the prints can be available on a web site like Shutterfly. NEVER give out your CD from paid, actual events.

I know one accomplished cameraflyer who charges $60 (plus slot) to go up with a paying customer with his digital set-up. This buys his time and expertise...plus 2 (two) 8x10's of their choice printed right there. Other prints are extra. ALL his customers have come away very happy. His prints are AWESOME.

Just a few suggestions on how some have worked with digital....

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well, I'm up against this for my Herc boogie trip. I have about a grands worth of compact flash duplication gear including the CD-R burner.

I'm thinking $25 for a file. What I plan on doing is after the video daily's is showing my photos via the SmartDisk. When these hot-to-trot buyers want the file, maybe I have to get half the skydivers to buy it? Then I could sell the file for $10, pretty cheap for a high res photo, but then not caring that the other half will get the photo free from the buyers?

So if I have a 20 way off the ramp, for a $100 I'll give up the file?

Whatcha think? I am not giving up for the sport on this one. My video is a given, but I still have to pay airfare and gear.

Not everyone wants to have a photo of every sydive they are on. I know last year the WFFC jumpers were averaging not even 1 photo sold per jump. There were lots of loads that they never sold a single shot, then on a big way they might sell 5-6 prints.

Only sell the print's not the files.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think you may have to see what the market can bear. I might offer prints on the spot and then higher prices for the file, cuz you know they will share it, so if it is high priced maybe they will shy away from sharing it!?!?! Test the waters and let us know how you fare ;)

Arvel

Even some big big ways sold nothing. The thing with big ways is the bigger the big way, the more experience each jumper typically has which equals more opportunity to have already bought photos...

I sold the most photos on specialty jumps and small ways.

And that photo you found posted on the web by someone of the ohio/ky/west virginia gang helicopter jump turned out awesome... I let someone walk off with the sample photo to show it to everyone, and then I broke my leg and never got that one back. I can't remember who had it, but I wish the person who posted it on the web would at least give me credit for it if they don't ask me first. I don't mind it being scanned and posted in low resolution, but it would be nice to get credit for it. Another photo here of mine, also from Rantoul last year, doesn't even have the Rantoul emblem on it, so I wonder if it was photoshopped or how it was acquired. It would be nice to get credit for it also.

I know photographers don't always get credit where credit is due, but we invest a lot of money in our equipment and have worked hard to get here. It would be nice if it were appreciated and earned some return on the investment.

I would rather the prints sold, but I think the high resolution digital file could be sold for a premium with a written copyright agreement to some sort of terms up to the photographer.

sorry to go on a tangent...
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I guess the higher the price, the more likely people will split it and share the file. If you make it cheaper, it might be they are willing to pay your effort and buy it all. Time/experience will tell.
Prints on the spot are a great thing. A guy at my former home DZ used to print photoshopped PAL stills in pretty amazing print quality (4x5") for 10 Euros a piece with a material price (paper and ink[!]) of like 2 Euros.
Good luck for good deals both ways!;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Have you tried to contact rylord and phatboy who are credited for those uploads? How about the webmaster?

I had photos uploaded to a web site before (without notice or credit as well), contacted the webmaster and uploader, and they chose to remove the pictures. I had given them the option of just posting credit but they chose the former....removing them. I got an embarrassed apology from the webmaster. Silence from the uploader.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Consider the market in Sweden.

Swedes are a very "techy" bunch. Just have a look at Mathias. At the Swedish Friflaj Festival they had this type of set-up already available on the DZ.

Make sure all your gear will work with the voltage over there before you go and don't forget your adapters. They are not as readily available.

Have fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Thanks Bonnie! I have all my chargers on a strip with a DC vehicle (crap, they are 12 volt over there right?) and the voltage convertor I got for Father's day.

I'm thinking digital is the way to go, I just don't want to sell the file for $5 and have somebody copy it off to everybody else.

Hopefully I'll get a feel once I'm over there. Before the Finn's get to me with something called Salmiaki or something like that.

:P:P:P

If you charge more, folks balk and go film. We are doing a majority in digital at Byron now. We all have digi Rebels, with my 10D being the only exception.

I saw that you guys were offering digital stills, which is great. It's definitely worth a premium for me to not have to scan in a roll of negatives, even if I lose half the raw pixel count. What resolution, pic count do you end up delivering to the customer? Jpeg/finest versus Raw?

BTW, the web site (redesign looks nice!) says $20 more for digital if stills only. $110 is a bit high for both - is the video also kept in digital format on a miniDV tape -> dvd?

We number our DV tapes so we don't reuse them if the customer has a problem with their DVD. The DVD is edited though, very nicely, by Skye or one of our other editors. The camera fliers fly, and our editor edits, usually.

Everybody is shooting 6.3 megapixel 300D or 10D Canon's. For customers, I'll shoot RAW if they want, it's their stuff, but usually it's JPEG and the files run 2 meg if they're busy and color-dense.

Digital stills with DVD is exactly that, up to 100 stills on a CD-R and the DVD is on a DVD-R.

Thanks to skydiver Keith (I'm being retarded and forgetting his last name right now) for the webpage redesign.

Anybody who's interested can click my sig line and then click the link to Bay Area Skydiving - My Home Drop Zone, to see it.

Everybody is shooting 6.3 megapixel 300D or 10D Canon's. For customers, I'll shoot RAW if they want, it's their stuff, but usually it's JPEG and the files run 2 meg if they're busy and color-dense.

Digital stills with DVD is exactly that, up to 100 stills on a CD-R and the DVD is on a DVD-R.

Kickass! Not sure I'd want to bother with RAW, but always good to have options.

Thanks to skydiver Keith (I'm being retarded and forgetting his last name right now) for the webpage redesign.

Might want to flag him or whoever is running it to change the text on the photopage. It just says "video" which would imply VHS, and makes the prices seem a good bit higher than the norm.

Jpeg/finest versus Raw?

Just asked that question at my DZ last weekend, and the photographer said RAW takes somewhat longer to be written to memory due to the file size, thus you end up getting a small advantage in image quality for a lot less pictures.
He shoots all @ JPEG large on his 10 D and the images are awesome.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I read this post thursday and found myself friday morning buying a rebel digital. jumped with it saturday and sunday.
Oh My God.......
I set it on sports mode and shot large jpegs. heres a large sample
I can't wait till I know how to really work it.

Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Jpeg/finest versus Raw?

Just asked that question at my DZ last weekend, and the photographer said RAW takes somewhat longer to be written to memory due to the file size, thus you end up getting a small advantage in image quality for a lot less pictures.
He shoots all @ JPEG large on his 10 D and the images are awesome.

Ah, figures. Camera doesn't have to do anything with the RAW file, but it's much more to write to flash. While Canon's new chips process much faster, write rates haven't improved as much.

I guess the customer (me) should trust you guys to have worked out pretty decent settings in the course of work.