pcalandra

? for Shutterfly Users

I'm just getting ready to go digital for stills and was wondering how many of you are using Shutterfly or a similar service for Tandems and what your opinions are.

Also are you actually making enough money to justify the cost of the service?

Thanks,

Pat

I personally don't think that tandems and SHutterfly are a good idea. Tandem students should be able to pre purchase photos and video from the "school" and have them delivered to them as soon as possible.

Shutterfly is more intended for "other" types of photo sales ventures.
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Tandem students should be able to pre purchase photos and video from the "school" and have them delivered to them as soon as possible.

Sure, but if you also have them on Shutterfly and have them linked on the website, then ALL the friends and family can go on and see pics as well. So, sell the pics to the student in house, but have them up so you could generate more happy people getting happy pictures for happy more money video flier.

That's just my opinion, though.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think there's room for both "burn a disk while you wait" and on-line photo services. I think that a camera flying operation probably should pick the one that makes the most sense for their style and, probably more importantly, volume of work.

I'll agree that an on-line service link Shutterfly -might- not work so well for an operation as large as say . . . Perris -- especially on a really heavy day, but for a smaller DZ, I think it makes a heck of a lot of sense and possibly more money for the photographer in the long run.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think it makes a heck of a lot of sense and possibly more money for the photographer in the long run.

For students, most DZ operations pay the cameraflyer a set rate and keep the rest of the profit. Not sure the schools would opt for this kind of set-up where a cameraflyer makes a profit from the students on the side.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Like I said, it would depend on the operation.

I can envision several different business models that don't seem to exist at "most" drop zones. That doesn't mean they couldn't actually work out better for those involved -- just that nobody has ever tried.
quade -

Like I said, it would depend on the operation.

I can envision several different business models that don't seem to exist at "most" drop zones. That doesn't mean they couldn't actually work out better for those involved -- just that nobody has ever tried.

And which little DZ have you worked at? ;)

Seriously....even the little...little DZ that I grew up in wouldn't let their cameraflyers work outside their operation. They used digtial cameras (and this was 8 years ago), a computer and program for printing right there on the spot. The DZ got the profits and the cameraflyers got -only- their normal flight fee...nothing more.

I'd think that most, if not all, DZO's would not let their "employee-contract worker" make $$ on the side from their place of business. No matter how small their operation was. The profit margin is just so small.

Now....if the DZO set up a Shutterfly operation and reaped the rewards...now THAT they'd go for! :P

ltdiver

I don't have personal experience at a small DZ - true.

However, there have been people at small DZ's that have thanked me for turning them on to Shutterfly just for this reason. I assume, it works for them.
quade -

I don't have personal experience at a small DZ - true.

However, there have been people at small DZ's that have thanked me for turning them on to Shutterfly just for this reason. I assume, it works for them.

Can you ask them to post here so we can all learn? Perhaps the approach they used with their chief instructor, office manager, and DZO could teach us all how to prosper on this topic.

ltdiver

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Just to clarify a little, we are a "Club" operation and as such there aren't any contracts with the DZ or a photography concession in place at this time. As a matter of fact until I recomeded it several years ago the club made nothing off of a video at all, now they get about 10%. We use a leader tape that every video get's, the Video's are a great sales tool for the club and it's a very cost effective form of advertising.

Today any photographer that does stills (which is not a requirment to fly camera) just send the stutent home with the roll of film or if digital gives the student a photo that is printed by the photographer and/or a private arrangement for reprints are made.

Personally I hate the whole idea of fulfilment and/or having to deal with making prints at the DZ. That's why Shutterfly appeals to me.

I can see a point somewhere in the future where the club handles the whole Shutterfly thing and maybe throughs the photog a bone or tow or changes the pay scale, but that's not the model today.

Pat

Our Small DZ...
Will let me do what I feel is best for me after the time and $$ I've put into the DZ video over the last couple years,, similiar to the above it's a no contract situation and we would all benefit,, the DZO, and the student program don't actively advertise yet, but the tandem vids obviously bring in customers... I am still setting up my digi Rebel and was thinkin also along the lines of Shutterfly,, just haven't done the search here for the already posted info on it yet... I think I would preview with the customer which images they would get, but would have to burn to a disc at home and have them get there own prints wherever they chose,,, Shutterfly would probably be linked to my site,, there I think anyone could order prints?....

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

I think it makes a heck of a lot of sense and possibly more money for the photographer in the long run.

For students, most DZ operations pay the cameraflyer a set rate and keep the rest of the profit. Not sure the schools would opt for this kind of set-up where a cameraflyer makes a profit from the students on the side.

ltdiver

Whilst this aspect of the camera fliers job is correct, the photographer (not being "employed" by the DZ) still holds the copyright to the images, and therefore they would have the right to distribute the images as they please.
Although, publishing the images on the net without prior model release may provide its own problems:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whilst this aspect of the camera fliers job is correct, the photographer (not being "employed" by the DZ) still holds the copyright to the images, and therefore they would have the right to distribute the images as they please.

The 4 DZ's where I have worked, they have you sign away your ability to use student photographs for your own remuneration.

ltdiver

Ok. I am understanding that SHUTERFLY is some sort of online publishing service for photos. But I have never heard of it. Can you provide some more details as to what this service is and does for you? What are the costs asscociated with it? ect...

Ok. I am understanding that SHUTERFLY is some sort of online publishing service for photos. But I have never heard of it. Can you provide some more details as to what this service is and does for you? What are the costs asscociated with it? ect...

For starters, look HERE. Click on the menu at the very bottom of the page. Quade will be with you shortly to fill in the gaps....:)
ltdiver

There are two sides to Shutterfly: a generic service similar to what you'd expect out of a photo developer, drop off the images and get them "developed", and a pro side where a photographer can sell his photos.

A very typical usage for the pro side would be a photographer that covers an event (Little League game, horse show, wedding, skydivie boogie) and then passes this web site information off to folks that attended the event. The photog uploads his images, maybe makes a few minor adjustments or whatever and from that point on . . . doesn't do a dang thing. The clients look up the web site, selects photos and orders them. Shutterfly sends the photos to the clients and money (minus processing and admin fees) to the photogs.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using a service like this. The key advantage for me is that they do all the admin, record keeping, shipping, yada, yada, yada. Clients can get their photos fairly quickly depending on what method of shipping they use -- usually faster than if I had to personally exchange emails and addresses, take the order, print and ship myself.

The disadvantage is that, yeah, it eats into profits a bit, but then again, it's a heck of a lot less work and a lot less in investment for a large format printer, ink, paper, mailers, stamps . . .

Take a look at my gallery and you'll get an idea of what you can do with very minimal effort.

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/FutureCam/Skydive

It's possible to have a much more "artistic" gallery on your own web site that links to the Shutterfly service, but I've never really gotten into that.
quade -

Is anyone that's using this service actually making any money?

A couple video fliers at my DZ are using it and have made money using it. So yes.

:D:D
I was told that some of my Pics sold the other day -

We have it set up that the DZ has the Pro Account - and a percentage is deducted from the net funds from shutterfly.

I like that system - Manifest uploads the pics - so that time in it's self is worth the percentage paid.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Is anyone that's using this service actually making any money?

Yes. I make back my cost in the first quarter, and it's gravy after that.

I'd be making a lot more if I put all my pictures in there, but I have a difficult time keeping magazine submittals, advertising photos for gear manufacturers, and gear manufacturer's website submissions all separated. I need to do a better job at that, but I'm not so bright.

-AND- I get paid on the spot by my concession owner for wearing my digital camera for the customer. If I can make more with the images after that, it's all mine.

ok i havent read all the insite of others on ths thread...but from my experience..

At my DZ all the camera flyers aren't fully digital so my school owner allows me to offer digital still at extra cost to the student with no affilation to the school. So I have a busness card printed up with my e-mail and the web site, so when i hand them the video I also give them the card. But I did ask if he was objected to it before I started offering it.

Have I made enough money to justify the pro gallery account? yes I have.....already after only having it a few months.

hope this helps.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Well I took the plunge and created a Shutterfly account, I've posted the pictures from my first day using the Digital Rebel. I'm pretty impressed with this camera, I literally took it out of the box, mounted it on my helmet and used it for the first time today in the air! If your interested you can see some photos here [www.shutterfly.com\pro\PatrickCalandra\FrontierSkydivers]

Pat

Pat