Deuce

OK, my digital fill-flash battleship.

It should really have a name. There are many, many better skydiving photogs than me, and this setup still gets my attention, both in sit and when doing RW. The flash is quite the sail. Anyhow, it's worth it, cause I get at least one epic photo per outing.

It's a Bonehead Bat-rack, with a Canon 10D and a 550EX up top, and a Sony PC120 on the side. It is a big and heavy unit. But, I like what I get with it.

Cheers.

JP

Edit: Holy cow! Thanks to Evan Mortimore for the pics! I gave him my memory stick, and he did the pics on his Sony Digital Camera!

Deuce;

Thats camera-box looks pretty good; but the size of the whole setup is HUGE! How much does that setup weigh? How do you deploy with it?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

"It should really have a name. "
What about 'the Gibbet'

B|

Surely you can lay the flash unit flat, that might give you more room for more cameras! Or at least lower the lever/moment effect on your neck.

Edit to add Henny's pic...
mind its not as bad as Henny's set up....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You guys are hard! B|

I've been jumping that setup since June (the American Boogie was in June, right?)

Laying the flash flat has it's own set of challenges. I hope jp posts pictures of his, cause it's the same stuff, but on a Flat-top Pro with the 10D hanging out front.

But yeah, lineman neck is helpful.

:P

Why are there so many cameras? Won't one videocam and one still cam do the trick?

I'm very curious...would you guys cry if you had to cut away the helmet...I know I would! :S

:)The 2 stills were during transition from the 35mm Eos 2000,,, to the small 5. megapixel sony V1....
I wanted to be able to compare the images from both lenses.... and I am so "used to spending money " on film processing,,,,:P that I couldn't just quit,,, cold turkey.....:D:SB|..
as for question # 2....... bite your tongue!!!!... [:/]B|,,, true... it would be killer,,, to have to shed the helmet,,,,but, (knock wood) in almost 1,100 camera jumps,, the situation has not arisen.... I jump a pretty docile main,,, I have what I think is good technique at pull time,,,, and seldom take a hit to the helmet during deployment.... plus the set up is actually very snag resistant,,,, ( no side mount,, no protrusions,,,a very clean ringsight)...
ps.. I have since removed the Canon 35,, and now wear the digital on the front...;)

:)
I notice that the flash really sticks Up and so wonder if you have adjusted your climb out routine, because of that...
If you're a tall cameraperson that really factors in.....I happen to be 5 foot 6 :);) ).
..... For sure,,,, we don't wanna go around smashing camera parts into anything....
Ever jump a Cessna 180 or 182 with that setup ???!!!
hahahaha... pry not.....:ph34r:B|;)
How about just holding it,, during climb to altitude???? some of us really have a handfull... and I've sometimes found that where you're seated can make a big difference in the "comfort factor " from take off till donning the helmet...I guess I tend to just hold it,, and 7 or 8 pounds can get heavy,,:| Still i need to have it in hand to check certain settings, be sure it's all set and secure,, shoot some footage prior to exit,, and prep for climbout...
Thank God and De Havilland for the otter,, when we can get the floor near the door.... But if loading and exit circumstances require us to sit on a bench or the floor, tightly packed......[:/] ever notice that there's no place to go with the helmet????B| hahaha...... Ah!! the things we do to bring the joy of video,, to our friends and new students....:ph34r:
fly safely

Very cool setup.

Okay, I know nothing about flash photography so here's my question. Does the front of the flash need to be exposed to and facing the subject?

Is there some sensor on the front of the flash that needs to 'see' how much light there is? Is that needed for the camera / flash to compute correct exposure or anything like that?

I wanted to set mine up so that the flash is behind the camera kind of 'looking over the shoulder' of the camera so to speak.

I don't know if that makes sense or not but for as much as I know about flash photography, maybe that won't even work.

Any ideas?

Does the front of the flash need to be exposed to and facing the subject?

Is there some sensor on the front of the flash that needs to 'see' how much light there is? Is that needed for the camera / flash to compute correct exposure or anything like that?

I think there's an IR type sensor on alot of the new flash units that works with many of the new cameras from Canon, Nikon and other brands. Canon's 550EX has, "an AF-assist beam which links to the EOS-3's 45-point area AF, FP Flash (high speed sync), FE lock (a flash version of AE lock), and FEB (Flash Exposure Bracketing)" according to their site http://www.usa.canon.com/ So keeping the front of the flash exposed is important if you want to use some of the advanced features of compatible cameras.
matt

For the most part, no. E-TTL flashes like the 550 use the meter in the camera.

The 550 and 10D can be used just fine in a number of configs and the actual flash head on the 550 has a two axis swivel just for that reason.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Minolta has a wireless remote control feature for the flash which uses the built-in flash by somehow encoding control signals on the flash. The sensor for this is on the front of the flash.

I wanted to set mine up so that the flash is behind the camera kind of 'looking over the shoulder' of the camera so to speak.

Other than that, just make sure your camera/lens does not cast a shadow on the subject.

HTH,
Klaus
My Logbook