pkasdorf

Helmet with flip-up lens, any preferences?

Planning to buy one and, as far as I know, I have to choose between the Parasport Z1 and the Oxygin A3. I would like to have some input from users and knowing people like you concerning safety, user friendliness, fragility, fogging, etc. Thanks in advance for the advice.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

If you have a fat head, like me, the Z1 won't fit. Parasport admitted to me at the symposium they still haven't made a helmet for bigger sizes. The shell is one size with different liners. So, make sure you try one on before you order. I wear somewhere between 7 1/4 and 7 1/2 depending on the hat and I can't even get a Z-1 on.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Planning to buy one and, as far as I know, I have to choose between the Parasport Z1 and the Oxygin A3. I would like to have some input from users and knowing people like you concerning safety, user friendliness, fragility, fogging, etc. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have one of each. The Z1 is lighter and feels less bulky, also the flip-up is easier to use. The OXYGN is more comfortable, I like the fastening method better, and the visibility is definitely better. I also think the OXYGN is more robust (my Z1 has developed several cracks around the face opening). The Z1 lens seems a bit more resistant to scratches, but the collar attachment is a bit feeble.

I mostly use the OXYGN these days.

I like a tinted lens, and there is one available for the Z1. However, it is easy to tint the OXYGN lens yourself if you want to.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Parasport admitted to me at the symposium they still haven't made a helmet for bigger sizes. The shell is one size with different liners. Terry

Yeah if you wear a L or XL size motorcycle helmet then the Z1 will not fit... at all. The mouth piece of my XL sized Z-1 ends up at my nose. If you want a white XL sized Z1: I have one sitting on a shelf in my room.. maybe 20 jumps on it, for dirt cheap.

Another lame factor of this Z-1: they used hot glue to glue the skirt that goes around the neck area to the shell, and hot glue does not hold for crap - as I'm sure you know. So part of the skirt has come loose.

Chris

I'd say wait and see what the new helmet from ParaTec looks like. I saw it at PIA and I think it's going to be a really good choice. It has a molded lens and a proper vent system. We're supposed to be getting a few in soon (when they get them out to us, at least).

I'm not wild about either the Z1 or the Oxygn. Just my opinion (having owned both of them). I jump a Factory Diver (without a lens) and sunglasses (or goggles) it works well for me.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Another lame factor of this Z-1: they used hot glue to glue the skirt that goes around the neck area to the shell, and hot glue does not hold for crap - as I'm sure you know. So part of the skirt has come loose.

You know, I have heard this from a few different people. I have had a Z-1 for the last 500 jumps which is a little over 2-1/2 years and I have never had a single problem with my helmet at all. At the same time I bought mine a friend bought one and he has had no problems either. I personally think they are great and the visor is damn near bullet proof
Blue skies
Kirk

Others have said this also. I have an Oxygen and a Z-1. The oxygen is very comfortable but the lense is awkward to operate. The Z-1 is extremely easy ot open and close. I have worn both in all manner of skydives(belly, sit, stand, HD) with no problems. However, i do not flip up the lense of the oxygen anymore after the first one started to get loose. I like them both, the only reason i have the Z-1 is because it was provided to me as a team helmet.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I am very happy also with my Z-1; it doesn't fog, whatever season, and I can fit my glasses under it if I so desire- it's the only helmet I found that I could do this with- also, the lens is well secured during all types of flying; no worries about it blowing loose!;)
Brokeneagle.

I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

However, i do not flip up the lense of the oxygen anymore after the first one started to get loose

I love my Oxygen. When (if) the visor becomes loose, just snug up the screws with a 5/64th's hex wrench. Don't crank them very far, just to a snug point. Otherwise you'll never get the visor up.:)It should cost you less than 2$ to get a set at the hardware store or just swipe one from dad.:P

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I have one of each. The Z1 is lighter and feels less bulky, also the flip-up is easier to use. The OXYGN is more comfortable, I like the fastening method better, and the visibility is definitely better. I also think the OXYGN is more robust (my Z1 has developed several cracks around the face opening). The Z1 lens seems a bit more resistant to scratches, but the collar attachment is a bit feeble.

I mostly use the OXYGN these days.

I like a tinted lens, and there is one available for the Z1. However, it is easy to tint the OXYGN lens yourself if you want to.

Since you have and use both, are they similar concerning fogging? And another question that has aroused from this thread is that the Oxygin's visor gets loose with time and use and could need some periodic adjustment. Is that your experience?

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I wear somewhere between 7 1/4 and 7 1/2 depending on the hat and I can't even get a Z-1 on.

I wear a 7 3/8 and I have a Z1 and it works for me. I have also made the mistake of leaving the plane with the visor up (Thanks, team) and put it down in freefall with no problem. Never tried an Oxygn, but I really like my Z1.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Since you have and use both, are they similar concerning fogging? And another question that has aroused from this thread is that the Oxygin's visor gets loose with time and use and could need some periodic adjustment. Is that your experience?

My OXYGN has never fogged. The Z1 fogged some on very cold days, but was never a real problem.

No, I haven't had a loosening problem. However, I really dislike scratched visors, so I replace them frequently both on the Z1 and OXYGN, which meant tightening the screws anyway.

I wear somewhere between 7 1/4 and 7 1/2 depending on the hat and I can't even get a Z-1 on.

I wear a 7 3/8 and I have a Z1 and it works for me. I have also made the mistake of leaving the plane with the visor up (Thanks, team) and put it down in freefall with no problem. Never tried an Oxygn, but I really like my Z1.

It's unlikely you would ever leave with the OXYGN visor up, as it would be in your field of view. I have twice left with my Z1 visor up, since it goes completely out of sight (which is a good thing under canopy).

I am photo-sensitive and require either sunglasses or tinted lenses. Since I don't believe I can wear Sunglasses under any fullface helmet, Can you tell me about your tinting experiences?

What films work best? and do you apply them to the outside of the visor to prevent scratches?
Lou

I can wear sunglasses under my Z1.

That said, I will not recomend my Z1 to anyone. While the problems I've had with it are numerous, they are also minor. The kicker is that the manufacturer is completely unavailable for assistance. Additionally, many gear stores refuse to stock either the helmets or spare parts - like new lenses.

My next full-face helmet will be the Bonehead Havok, because it's got all the features I need and I know the manufacturer will stand behind their products.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am photo-sensitive and require either sunglasses or tinted lenses. Since I don't believe I can wear Sunglasses under any fullface helmet, Can you tell me about your tinting experiences?

What films work best? and do you apply them to the outside of the visor to prevent scratches?

No films - I dye the lens. RIT fabric dye (available at most grocery stores) does a great job. Mix the dye as if you are going to dye a batch of fabric (follow the instructions on the box), then dip the lens in. Clean the lens first with soapy water to get rid of any grease spots etc.

If you dip it holding the bottom, the top gets more time in the dye and you get a gradient tint. Agitate well to avoid streaking. Don't leave it in too long, the dye acts quickly. I take it out and rinse after maybe 15 seconds. If it's not dark enough, put it back in the dye again until you like it. Rinse well, and allow to air dry.

Good idea to practice on an old lens first.

I'm not trying to hijack here, but someone told me that the oxygin was made of carbon-fiber, and the Z1 wasn't. He said this means that the Z1 will protect you much less in an injury, and it will crack easier. Has anyone found this to be true? Has anybody's Z1 cracked from just a minor bump on the door or something?

MB 3528, RB 1182