iam

Keeping your eye on the subject.

Any tips on how best to keep your eye on the subject. I have always been trained to keep spacially aware when in freefall, maybe this has sunk in too deep, but i'm having problems with looking all around me and at the ground and at my alti...all this equals crap videos.

This may also sound a silly question, but do you experianced camera jumpers jump with one eye closed while looking through the sight....:S

thanks

Ian
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

Its hard to break yourself of the habit of looking around during freefall. My first videos were crappy too because of that.

I use my peripheral vision a LOT. I also cut my eyes left and right without taking the ring sight off the target. Takes practice but youll get the hang of it. And yes, sometimes I jump with one eye closed.

Sometimes with BOTH eyes closed!! Jumping is SCARY!! ;)

JC

Honestly I look through the sight with both eyes open, I think that allows me to see enough with peripheral vision and not jsut get focused on the subject. I use 2 audibles though, therefore I do not look at my altimeter alot because sometimes your arms are back collapsing your wings and you will not be able to see it uless you move your head which is not the best for video. However altitude awareness being what it is (important) it is best to have an alternative plan. Takes proctice to be able to look around and not move your head.

~Chachi

. . . do you experianced camera jumpers jump with one eye closed while looking through the sight....

No. Keep both eyes open.

Every person has one eye that is dominant and usually you'll put your sight over that eye. This is a concept not only used in camera flying, but also; golf, archery, baseball and almost anything else that requires accurately sighting something in the distance.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Two audibles is a must.

A ringsight is a must too, but we have different camps about that.

The sight lets me keep my group in my peripheral vision while I check my wrist alti, if I need to. I just about never have to over RW groups, cause I pull first at breakoff, or with Tandems, who pull up in the stratosphere. It just occurred to me that with a left sidemount it might help to put your alti on your right hand to sneak peaks out of frame.

Practice, practice, practice.

JP

Here is a little tip, I have posted about 50 time's. wear you r camera around the house. Record stuff while looking at it and say what you were looking at just to know where you were looking at. Like Tv, Fan, Doorknob. Then look at your video, you will be surprised at the different levels you look at and the results you get. After a while yo uwill dial it in and all it will cost you is time, instead of jumps. You might notice a tendency to move your eyes when you film above you, just like you will on exit. That is something to work on. Well good luck

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Keep up the practice. Good advice on wearing your camera on the ground. Get adjusted to your sight. Eventually it will be like a state of unconsciousness, you will not even be that bothered with looking through your sight, it will come naturally - at least to me it did.

Audibles are great. I went without one for 4 years. WHY? I'm a cheap chick :P

Que sera sera

Well, maybe a bit of explaination is in order . . .

She doesn't think it's a silly question for YOU, she may think it would be a silly question for HER.

Ya see, Lori is a pretty damn good camera flyer even though she only has sight in one eye.

See THIS THREAD.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, maybe a bit of explaination is in order . . .

She doesn't think it's a silly question for YOU, she may think it would be a silly question for HER.

Ya see, Lori is a pretty damn good camera flyer even though she only has sight in one eye.

See THIS THREAD.

Exactly. Thank you, Paul, for your timely explanation in my behalf. I just got home from a night out with Dana Bowman and the guys! :^)

More Later,
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Skygodess surely Ian....;)

Anyways the advice here is good, I would add one thing though.
You can 'train' your peripheral vision, its quite esay when you are at work, walking around town, even driving. If you see some motion on your periphery, keep staring ahead and try and work out what is going on in the periphery without looking directly at it. You will actually become more aware of things going on around you, and this can help you a lot in keeping your head stable, watching for attacks from late divers, loose objects etc.
Also get used to moving your eyes without moving your head, again you can practice this without even being close to a DZ.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

hey ltdiver, sorry for thinking you were doing the skygod bit on me.:$

Ian

Ian,

No problem. When reading your original post, I was actually overcome with a bit of jealousy in that I couldn't put in personal experience and advice from a 1st person kind of view. You see, I don't get to choose. :S

But, hey, at least I got invited to join 'Pieces of 8'!
(you have to be able to lose your prosthesis in freefall, which (unfortunately) I have. B|).

ltdiver

But, hey, at least I got invited to join 'Pieces of 8'!

Excellent! Now you have to get a PRO Rating so that you can follow Dana around on the demo circuit!

Working on it right now. I'll be there with you and the guys on Sunday...not particularly shooting the group, either. :P

ltdiver