brentfinley

Just Dropping By

Hey out there. I'm going to try to drop by once in a while. Feel free to ask any questions in my specific expertise areas:

Big Way Filming
Medium Format Photography
35mm Photography
Cross and Concentric Sights
Mounting hardware
Publication tips

Take care and be safe.

Brent
www.brentfinley.com

Brent, Nice to see you on the fourms. I'm looking forward to seeing your input on some of the more common topics like:

Eye dominance and if it matters on the ring site
Perfered stills format and camera
Filters and lens
Then the ever so popular top or side mount for RW question.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Mine is custom made. It's a highly modified motorcycle helmet. It has an 8 inch wide platform that allows me to mount the cameras anywhere across the top I like. Each camera has a dedicated mounting plate so I can shift them around depending if I'm shooting one or two on top. (Video, 645 still), (16mm, video), (16mm, 645 still), etc.

I like the bonehead flat top, rear entry helmet for off the shelf solutions.

Brent
[email protected]
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]

Hi Brent

I ordered an articulated bracket, post and ring-sight from you. The order arrived in London in less than a week! I have only heard good things about your products and customer service from others as well.

You recommended heating the post and bending it to make it more flush with the helmet. Are there any further tips you could give here on how to do that? BTW I really like the low-profile Allen screw.

Will

PS Not only did I get my order in less than a week, the shipping was free - Brent's customer service rates right up there with L&B!

As far as more tips on bending an articulating bracket post...

Do whatever makes sense. Don't break it! :)
If you don't have access to a blow torch... don't bother. Take it to someone who works with metal. They will understand exactly what you need to do.

Sorry I can't be more specific. But if you're going to HIGHLY modify off the shelf stuff, then make sure you have some scrap parts similar to what you're going to bend...so you can practice on them... otherwise, get an expert. I'm not an expert... but a layman... I break things... because my machinist laughs at me and give me another one to work on. He only lets me work on machines that are not too expensive. I have nearly killed myself in his shop (how embarrasing would that be?).

:)
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]

because my machinist laughs at me

Heck, it's camera stuff.... One of the Gurus at my DZ is taking a look at my camera helmet. Everything is flush, I'm proud of my helmet, camera helmets are all so cool......Huh, oh sorry.

Anyhow, I've got a nylon bushing under my Quick-release for my film camera, I use a Stroboframe QR, to lift the angle to match my video. This Guru is a machinist and I just dig machinists cause they can make anything. He says "you want me to make a shim for that so your camera can have a solid base?" "Uh, yeah, that'd be cool" Then he gets this look in his eye, that scary machinist 'I can make anything' look. "You know, I could make one out of two peices of aluminum with an allen screw so that you could adjust the angle, you want one of those".

He'd get mad if I kissed him, so I say, real cool-like, "yeah, that'd be cool". I should have it Friday, I'll let you know how it works. If it's coolio enough I'll post some pictures.

JP

Hi Josh,

I personally haven't used a digital camera, but I think there is lots of potential for making $$ with a digital camera. Certainly there have already been centerfolds in Parachutist with Digital cameras ... Canon D30, Olympus E10 (i think).. Now the D60 is out. They put out a photo that will print out at 11x17 (Michael McGowan does it all the time)

At some point I'll go digital... but it will only be one of many tools in my bag. Film is not dead by a longshot.

I shot an exhibition soccer game the other day in Phoenix with the famous world cup soccer player Brandy Chastain. It was at a high school field with terrible lights. Craig Amrine shot his D60 and I shot my Eos 2000 with high speed sync flash at 1/350th with 800 speed film pushed to 1600. Even though my flash was a bit smaller than Craigs, my pictures with film came out nice. His turned out grainy and took lots of manipulation to make a picture suitable for the small local magazine we were shooting for.

So clearly there are times when film just works better.

Brent
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]

Thanks for the quick reponse...

I've been shooting a E-20 since January and just got a D-60... the E-20 was/is great but has limitations... I think the D-60 will be a much better camera in the long run...

As for film being replaced... I agree with you, the digitals are not there yet, but with the way technology has been advancing, who knows.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

So far, I've only have a couple of weekends to jump the D60, so I'm not quite ready to make a full report. It is different than shooting film.

I'll be shooting the D60 for the POP 100-way record attempts at Perris in October and the Nevada State Record Boogie in November.

I'll let ya know how it all works out. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have not had a chance to set my '60 up yet, maybe this weekend... just been shooting it on the ground and playing with different settings and lenses...

What lens are you shooting? I've got a 20mm and a 15mm FE... (which are equal to a 32mm and a 24mm due to the conversion factor on the '60)

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I've been shooting the 20mm. I'd like to pick up a 15mm, but right now it's not the top item on my next-to-buy-list.

A couple of sample images HERE compressed for the web so they're not really the most perfect representation of what the actual images look like, but they should give you some idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Welcome aboard. I bought one of your ringsite holders, top notch. I had a canopy collapse that destroyed my still camera but the ring site mount is fine.

As a quick question, I assume that like a motorcyle accident that if you have a bad accident you should get a new camera helmet, is that correct?
Drewfus McDoofus

Did you damage your helmet?

They are not really for protecting your melon that much, rather a place to put cameras. If you feel the integrity of the shell is compromised, by all means replace it. It if fails (splits on a hard opening) and comes off your head... you lose a lot of money replacing cameras.

Also, if you have a styrofoam lining that is now more loose than before.. that will induce more shake into your video because the helmet is not as tight.

This is a judgement call for operational matters concerning the performance of your helmet... not really safety.

Brent
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]