MakeItHappen

Team Training Tool

Very cool! I've been wanting to get data like this for my team, particularly block inter times, but it's a huge pain in the ass. This makes it prettymuch effortless. I bow to your computer programming skills;)... seriously, I've already added it to my favorites.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Jan, this is one of the best tools I have seen.

If it could import into XL it would be nice...But really great work and thanks.

Also, just let me say thanks for all you do..you do quite a bit and all the work you do makes skydiving better.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Very cool. I already send the URL to several.
This is going to be usefull for a lot of teams.
Thank you - and please do keep up the good work ;)

I agree that it rocks. If you could figure out a clean way to log the data, it would be awsome! Something were best, worst, and average block times could be saved by date or jump number - so teams could track progress over time without having to manually enter data into an excel sheet after each jump. Thanks for the efforts - even as is, it's great.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

ANY CHANCE IT CAN BE USED OFFLINE?

Without going into the details, I feel that within 5 years virtually every DZ in the world will have high speed, wireless internet access available. Whether a DZ chooses to support that will be based upon customer base. But the remote internet technology will be available. There are DZs today that have this technology available to them, but have not tapped into it. The person to talk to is the DZO.

From my developer POV, it makes more sense to develop for an expanding audience, rather than a shrinking market (ie Windoze users) If I write a Windoze program, I loose the Mac/Linux and whatever OS system in the future users.

I realize that some teams might want this information RIGHT NOW and can't wait until Sunday night. I think most teams concentrate on the jumps, not the data while they are at the DZ. Maybe, that's not right? I think that the weekdays are when a team can look at the data and adjust the next weekend's practice based on the data.

The data that will be available, once I implement all the fancy slicing and dicing and graphics, will be better used to plan the next weekend of jumps as opposed to your next jump that day.

There are many other reasons I have to keep this web-based, but from a team's perspective, those are the most relevant reasons.

There is also the customer base for this. It is a TINY market. I only have a handful of emails from people interested in this. I put out a prototype, but I have not seen a huge demand for this. I have got great feedback from people interested in it, but not enough people. So if you are a lurker and want this to continue, please email me.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

So if you are a lurker and want this to continue, please email me.

Jan - As someone who's always playing around and making tools for 4-way myself:

I think it's very cool.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think you're spot on with the online thing. If you're editing video and compiling your stats, chances are you've got a decent internet connection as well.

My team used our stats as a planning tool, not as a real-time evaluation. While in a camp, you shouldn't be thinking about specific numbers (in my rookie opinion) and more focused on visual quality of what is working.

Dood, I apprecaite your continued development, I think the CSV step was a good one and I think if you just added sessioning with a login for a team and MySQL support on the back end, you could possible charch a subscription for a season.

Good job, please keep it up when you've got the time!

Jan - We've been using it and taking our results and comparing to top teams (to see how we do relative to the entitlement that's out there). It's allowing us to truly identify those areas that have the best 'bang for the buck' from training. (Turns out, typical slow blocks we do very well, so not a lot of tenths to earn there compared to the pros - the medium speed blocks are our best source for faster times. And always random work, especially into and out of blocks)

it's great information.

It's fantastic. Raw scoring, etc is interesting, but the best info is the breakdown in inters (by block, and by types of random transitions)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jan - We've been using it and taking our results and comparing to top teams (to see how we do relative to the entitlement that's out there). It's allowing us to truly identify those areas that have the best 'bang for the buck' from training. (Turns out, typical slow blocks we do very well, so not a lot of tenths to earn there compared to the pros - the medium speed blocks are our best source for faster times. And always random work, especially into and out of blocks)

it's great information.

It's fantastic. Raw scoring, etc is interesting, but the best info is the breakdown in inters (by block, and by types of random transitions)

Thanks.
I'm glad people are using it.

I have the backend requirements written and the DB schema planned out.
Now, to find the time to implement it.

It'll happen in two stages. One to just save all the data and the second to extract data and create graphs.
I don't want to give away the feature set yet, but it'll have cool stuff.

Also busts will be another key press.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

What would nicer in the output page is a format that directly cuts and pastes into a format like the following: Here's my column headings for example

1 - time see first point
2 - random time (between the 16 randoms)
3 - random time into blocks
4 - random time out of blocks
5 - inter time block 1
6 - inter time block 2
. - inter time block 22

each of these are different animals - right now, I do have to hand enter the data from your summary page into a spread sheet (or, take the chunk from each cell, decode into columns, then transpose it and put it into the spreadsheet.) I wonder if there's a more friendly format.

Here's a picture of a sample page of a typical format for using and summarizing and comparing the info I get from your tool:

I'm using it to see where we need the most work so we can focus on areas that drive improvement. Unfortunately, it's indicating all areas. Once I enter that data, our July data will show a huge improvement in our areas to work. (but, we did break the double digit barrier for a full comp this last weekend in AAA, and I think good record keeping has helped a ton in our training).

I also don't include scores for all randoms in the score column, it unfairly inflates the scores up (we have mostly 18's to 22's there and they don't help give a realistic view of the team's real progress.)

Since you provide pure raw data, it's important for teams to look at it in a statistically rigorous manner and separate very slow block times from unusual events that have different causes - good analysis requires an understanding of how to treat anomolous data from true distribution.

In other words, your data is perfect for treating both continuous team improvement AS WELL AS trouble shooting special causes.

The sky is blue.:P

{{I think the 'score' is the absolute least useful bit of info this tool provides. When used correctly.

My notes about scores specifically, is how to use the data you are talking about in the assessment of team performance - but that actual bit of data is really the least important part you get from the summary jan provides. The actual breakdowns of the transition information is the real wealth of her output. You can't focus your training on the 'score' metric to make improvements, you focus your training on those moves that need work - Jan's data can tell you which blocks you need to focus on, how well your random work is going, etc. It's so much more powerful than just looking at only the numjber of points by 35 seconds......

In otherwords, I don't care if I score a 6 or a 14 or a 22 on three different dives. But I'm very interested that my inter time on block 18 has improved from 7.5 seconds to 5.5 seconds in the last 2 practices and that I can still likely get that down to 4.5 seconds before working on a different block.

The Airspeed articles include a couple about record keeping and goal setting. How do you know what a reasonable goal is unless you know what you are doing now (baseline) and what the best possible done is (potential).

I think that's why it's called a 'training tool', not a 'scoring tool'}}

But yes, it would be very useful for judging at meets too. But I think Tim and Ted already have that covered.

But I think Tim and Ted already have that covered.

Look at some of the tidbits from the older WM's and those guys had it broken down to exactly which blocks won or lost the meet. It's really neat to get that kind of detail.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower