Vallerina

Midwest 100-ways?

That is right Pam. Quality all the way around is needed. How pissed will people get if you just take anyone that has the "skills" to do a 100 way?

How do they know they have the skills if they haven't done one?

The only safe way is to get into the camps and show your skill on the smaller 40 to 50 ways. Of course you need to be consistent at 10 to 20 ways before you can get to the 40 to 50 ways and into the camps.

One sure thing I know is you better learn to track. I have helped at one of Kate and Tony's camps before and on the last day (the day they do formation loads generally) I had to take a group of 8 or 9 out for long tracking jumps (16K) because they didn't have the skills they thought they did. Nothing worse then turning to track from a big way and seeing people go into these steep dives that they call tracks.

The other thing is the money issue. It hurts to see people go low and think "Damn there goes $1980.00 dollars of the other 99 peoples money!" At least if they go to camps they can learn what they need to work on and really learn the skills they need.
Dom

How pissed will people get if you just take anyone that has the "skills" to do a 100 way?

The other thing is the money issue. It hurts to see people go low and think "Damn there goes $1980.00 dollars of the other 99 peoples money!"

And your own $20 too! :o Of course, you have to remember, even on invitationals, success is never a guarantee.

People can be quite suprised to learn that there are air skills and attitude involved in successful events. Being able to handle failure, avoid blame, own up to your own mistakes, and buy-in 100% on the team mentality are all factors for being a good big-way participant. (True on 4-way, too, right?)

There are always untested folks out there who deserve the shot even on an invitational, but someone still has to know the "goods" on them, and it usually has to be presented to the organizer to make the call.

There is more to it than "build it and they will come".

Val, I hope you (or someone) can get something put together for the Mid-west. Can I be invited? I'll provide a resume...;)

frtail - I heard from a small shiny rodent that it'll be a full complement of Foxes at the bigway JFTC. Congrats - that's how you do it - find good jumpers and keep bringing them up and showing them off

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

frtail - I heard from a small shiny rodent that it'll be a full complement of Foxes at the bigway JFTC. Congrats - that's how you do it - find good jumpers and keep bringing them up and showing them off

:$Thanks.

At least one of them will confess to being dragged, kicking and screaming the whole way... :)

And now they see it isn't a bunch of secret stuff, it isn't who you know, it is what you do to get yourself where you want to be.

At least one of them will confess to being dragged, kicking and screaming the whole way... :)

(minxxy raises her hand and shakes her head as she remembers the day when she said that you woudnt get her up on one of those scary big ways;))

All I can say is this years team motto is now *Go big or go home*....:)

ps. Can i have an invite too please Val;)

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

Val, I hope you (or someone) can get something put together for the Mid-west. Can I be invited? I'll provide a resume...

Hahahaha! Funny!

And, Skyminxx, you helped save my back! That's your invite right there! :P Plus, you're just really cool.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I always knew that there was a lot in putting a 100-way event together, and I see why it's even more difficult for the Midwest. Maybe someday...
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

And, Skyminxx, you helped save my back! That's your invite right there! :P Plus, you're just really cool.reply]

Hey no problem.. Im glad that you got Cass to work on you while you were there and that you got to get back in the air. Congrats on your 100 way girl...!

See you in Perris in September then.....
(I'll be the one wearing pink, or yellow or white;))

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

frtail - I heard from a small shiny rodent that it'll be a full complement of Foxes at the bigway JFTC.

While I will be participating in JFTC with my best Foxy girlfriends. For this event I will not be a Fox I will be part of an amazing, talented group of women raising money for an important cause ... and setting a new world record while we're there.

However 2006 4way is another story!!!

Love my Foxies,
karen

Bill, you do know that having all the foxes on JFTC means that the event will never be the same.

Val, one thing you might think about is the weather. Summer time in the midwest means hot, hot, hot. The heat takes a lot out of the skydivers and you need to make sure there are plenty of supplies to help them through the heat. AC is nice to have for packing, and don't forget tons of free water for them and don't make them do tons of run outs in the heat.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

And, sorry, but its kind of funny how people from Florida and California seem to think those are the only states where quality skydiving happens.

whoa whoa whoa now...that's a bit of a generalization. :)

(general comments not for anyone in particular)

there are great skydivers all over the place. i think the reason people associate that with FL and CA (not sure why AZ was left out of the equation) is that the DZs are open year-round and the skydivers from all over jump at these DZs when their DZ is out of season.

anyway, i hope no one tries to turn this into a "our state has better skydivers than your state" thing. it's not about separation. it's about bringing it all together and blasting out our personal best on each skydive that we do. personally, i LOVE that i have to travel to do some of the events that i attend. i look forward to seeing the people that i've met and strengthening those friendships with each subsequent meeting....and cranking out some shit-hot skydives, too. :)
take care,
arlo :)

Thats only in the Wingsuit Forum. :D:P

now isn't THAT the damn truth! :P

Good jumping with you last week at the AZ Challenge Arlo :)

ditto that. i'm still riding the buzz from the entire weekend. outstanding dives trumped only by the outstanding people there. amazing.:)
take care,
a

Summer time in the midwest means hot, hot, hot.

No hotter than CA in May!!!! :D

I admit, the weather for the 100 ways was hot, but the weather for the Memorial Day Boogie was perfect. At least Calif doesn't have the humid weather like the Midwest.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Ah, but it doesn't get much better than the Texas State Record. Last year it was in Houston, in August. Next year it'll be in Dallas, probably in August.

Now that's heat :S

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah, but it doesn't get much better than the Texas State Record. Last year it was in Houston, in August. Next year it'll be in Dallas, probably in August.

Wendy W.

Been there, done that. The number one reason you won't see me attend again. It's not the skydives or the people that kept me away last year, but the damn heat. The older I get the more I hate the heat.

The older I get the more I hate the heat.

Must be your beautiful fair complextion, Mar. ;) The older I get the more I gravitate -towards- the heat....:P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Wendy W.

Been there, done that. The number one reason you won't see me attend again. It's not the skydives or the people that kept me away last year, but the damn heat. The older I get the more I hate the heat.

What about the spiders?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"what about the spiders?"

You can eat them if you get hungry!!!! They usually feed 3-4.

There are some great people jumping the TSR's. Three of your old team-mates John. AT least there was last year... We had a blast in Houston but it was HOT!
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)