drenaline

Life of reserves.

PD says 25 jumps/ 40 repacks and they want to see the reserve again. Most riggers I talk to say half their age, or my age... what ever is less.

Is that jumps or repacks ? ? ? Assuming a lot of skydivers are 20-30 that could translate to 10-15 repacks or 3-5 years. I haven't heard anything that low for the lifespan of a reserve before.

Most riggers I talk to say half their age, or my age... what ever is less.

Any idea behind the logic for half of the owners age? So at 20 my reserve's only good for 10 years? but then in ten years I'll be 30 so it's good for 15 I seem to be missing something.

Ok.. bad phrasing. I'm 22. Most riggers won't let me pack anything thats older then I am. Most riggers won't pack anything over 20-25 years old. Think about it... the most common reserves that were around 20 years ago were 5 cell Swifts. (not Swift plus) Would you really want to be jumping designs older then that unless you are trained on how to use them properly?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

OK, I am neglecting my Spanish homework, but I found it. PPM V. I p. 267:

The Safety Flyer was introduced in 1978 as the first ram-air reserve canopy. it was a direct descendent of the Strato Flyer main. The five cell canopy had a 14' Span, 12' chord, 160 sq. ft., 1.25 oz. ripstop nylon fabric and 450 lb. lines. The Safety Flyer used a slider and a free bag deployment systrm with a long bridel made of wide tape to help overcome horseshoe type malfunctions.

(it was manufactured by Para-Flite, Inc.)

So those of you who have been around: Around what time did ram-air reserves become "common"?

I was a rigger in the late 70's -- does that count? Just about all of the people I knew had round reserves then. Most of them had round reserves into the early-mid 80's, when I quit being a really active jumper.

By 1983-1984, square reserves were more common, but most people still had rounds. Not because they thought they were better, but because they were already paid for, and they'd get you down.

Of course, spotting was done by people who were used to landing on the drop zone with rounds still, too.:)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So how does that work for a canopy that is packed in a sandy environment versus one that isn't? A humid environment?

There are too many variables to simply put dates on the lifespan of a canopy. Riggers are paid to inspect gear and make a decision on it's airworthiness, period. There are tests that can be performed that are far more accurate than simply setting a date.

That being said, our shop works on a 30 year limit because we figure that anything that old has probably, at some point, found itself in conditions that cause deterioration...if nothing less than cumulative UV exposure.

Nothing is set in stone though. On rare occasions we've been known to pack equipment older than 30 years old after doing extensive fabric testing on it.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

PD says 25 jumps/ 40 repacks and they want to see the reserve again. Most riggers I talk to say half their age, or my age... what ever is less.

Hmmm. A couple of years ago I jumped a reserve which was older than me :-) Worked like a champ! (Jumped with old-timey gear and a belly-mount reserve and had to use it! At terminal no less!) And I'm 32 :-)

W

Note that the PD 25/40 rule is for evaluation,not necessarily to establish end-of-life. They may say it is still good...

A few years ago we drop tested a silk 24-foot canopy that had been packed and sealed for just over 50 years. It worked!!! The drop test dummy (not me) was not heavy, and the airspeed was not fast.... Impressive nonetheless.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

In the spring, I've got an appointment to jump gear CONSIDERABLY older then me, too... Strangely, I'm looking forward to it. No, I don't think a 'cut-off' date works. If the gear is good, let them jump.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No, I don't think a 'cut-off' date works. If the gear is good, let them jump.

Yup. There are tests riggers do on canopies to see if they're airworthy. If the canopy passes the test, no reason not to use it. BTW, some of the most fun i had in rigging class was packing the old round reserves.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!