labrys

Low pull + CYPRES fire + near miss with tree.

What do y'all think of what I think were 3 looks at the alti after the wave-off? Each look took a good amount of time. The subject of looking at your alti during a mal was discussed in a previous thread. Many agreed that during a high speed mal there isn't much purpose, as you should already be aware of what needs to be done and should be doing it instead of confirming altitude.

Of course you ultimately did what was needed, and it is very tempting to confirm if you've got time to keep trying to get the main out.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have hundreds of jumps with my camera. It wasn't a factor. Poor judgement in general, yes, but that wasn't an issue.

Camera was not an issue with that jump, but what next?

that could apply to anything... what next what next? why are we skydiving... seems like your chute might not open next... what if the world ended.....

Why do you have such a negative attatude, He landed safely and learned from it.... that is what really counts... If we all could take one thing away from this too would be awesome...
Cheers

Jon W

Your point is good, but I'd like to say that my alti was out in front while I was trying to get to my hackey. Not saying I didn't take too long to pull, just noting that I wasn't stopping to check specifically.

For the record in general, as well. I'm not a guy.
Owned by Remi #?

I have hundreds of jumps with my camera. It wasn't a factor. Poor judgement in general, yes, but that wasn't an issue.

Camera was not an issue with that jump, but what next?

that could apply to anything... what next what next? why are we skydiving... seems like your chute might not open next... what if the world ended.....

Why do you have such a negative attatude, He landed safely and learned from it.... that is what really counts... If we all could take one thing away from this too would be awesome...

Negative attitude? He just got lucky. He has failed to save his life on a simple solo jump. With "D" license you suppose to know your limits. I do not use camera when I'm not current and skip the swooping part too.

If someone makes the very same mistake with your amount of jumps the first advice is play golf or bowling instead....

Good job for finally going for your reserve and not dying (of course your cypres likely would have saved you from going in with nothing open). You said you landed downwind. Were you aware of the winds before you got on the airplane? Yes the winds can change between the time of getting on the airplane and opening under canopy. But knowing the winds before you get on the airplane provides you will a little more information and less guessing under canopy.

It is hard to tell from the video, but there appeared to be a small clearing to the upper right on the video once you first opened. Sometimes those paths like the one you eventually went for do have things like power lines. I have only ever jumped at Sebastian one weekend several years ago and I do remember thinking to myself when I jumped there that it was not the place you wanted to have an off. One thing you should have done that you appeared not to do was do flat turns under canopy. A flat turn to the left after you turned onto final would have put you in a better landing zone and it would have been crosswind as opposed to downwind. But it is easier to say all this from the comforts of home versus being there in the moment. Nevertheless, good job in surviving your incident.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hey, yes. A couple of people have pointed out that flat spot off to my right that's upwind and probably a much better choice for landing. I did know the winds when I got on the plane, too. It's hard to explain and it's another part of being a dumbass just like trying to shift my harness under 2k. When my reserve opened I scope locked on that trail and didn't think about wind. Many mistakes.
Owned by Remi #?

Hey, Phoenix. I appreciate that you're being critical and turning over ideas and pointing out errors. Hopefully, novice jumpers will read what you have to say and weigh it against their experience.

I will ask that you knock off the idea that I didn't pull, though. I saved myself. It was a close call, but I got it done. Don't try to rewrite that part of my fail.
Owned by Remi #?

It's hard to explain

I understand. It's easy for us to point out the mistakes from the safety of our homes and it's another matter dealing with the incident first hand. To prove I am human and have made mistakes under pressure. To date I have had three reserve rides. On malfunction #1 I threw both handles. On malfunction #2 I threw away my cutaway handle. It wasn't until malfunction #3 that I managed to hold on to both handles. :ph34r:

But don't forget to flat turn (it doesn't hurt to practice on each jump). Flat turns could be a life saver if you find yourself looking at a tight landing area. Once again good job surviving your incident.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Much of it is thigh deep water with cabbage palms growing under the surface. I wasn't really thinking about landing in the water although that might have been a safer option than the trail.

I only had a few seconds to decide where I way going to land and the trail caught my eye before that clear spot did. I don't even remember seeing it.

I think you were very level headed thru the whole thing, with not much time between main pull tries, to reserve. Lost the D-ring, but went right back to it....never give up, right ?
Have you done a BASE jump before ? I would say you are now qualified for the landings. One more thing...............any alligators out in that landing area ? :P

Life is short ... jump often.

I once did 30 mins in the tunnel (mainly sit flying) then headed to the DZ for a jump. I could barely hold a sit and whilst pulling was easy I struggled under canopy as I just hadn't realised how weak I was and found flaring, turning exhausting. I took a very gentle canopy ride back and was fine on landing but it scared me. I have subsequently never flown tunnel then jumped.

Lessons sometimes need to be learned well done for not dying and well done for being brave enough to risk the armchair quarterback abuse that comes with the posting of any such video on DZ.com.

Lesson learned methinks and hopefully not just by you.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I have a couple of jumps from the NRGB. 800 feet on Bridge Day is definitely not the same visual as 800 feet at terminal. B|

I'm not from the area, but it's hard to imaging that much swampy ground doesn't have some gators and snakes living in it.

Owned by Remi #?

I will ask that you knock off the idea that I didn't pull, though. I saved myself. It was a close call, but I got it done. Don't try to rewrite that part of my fail.

Back when I had just a few less jumps than your showing I had a cypress fire. I to had pulled my reserve. Don't minimize your thoughts on how low that was because you "saved yourself" that was damn low.

I'm close to 3,000 jumps now and I admire your posting this information. I sat in the desert (Eloy) that night a thought a LOT about giving it up. So screw anyone that preaches to much. Live and learn and march on.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little