CanuckInUSA

My ProTrack failed me today

Regarding the short battery life, have a look at the FAQ on the L&B website
http://www.l-and-b.dk/asp/faq.asp?mode=Protrack
where a little gem of information is hidden.
It recommends that you leave the unit with no power for 2 minutes when changing batteries. Then after installing the batteries (and this is the bit that ain't in the instructions) you should not push any buttons for 15 minutes !
My ProTrack started crying for new batteries last weekend so I'll be giving this a try.

The gear dealer at my DZ was able to get extra backs, springs and screws for the Protrack. I don't remember if they were free, but if they weren't they were very inexpensive. He gives them free to people who need one.
If you have a dealer nearby, you might want to ask him/her about it. We have given out a handful or so. That way the jumper isn't without their protrack (from having to send it in)
B| D

Thanks for the bit of info. I did know that manual said wait about a minute before placing the new batteries. The wait 15 minutes after replacement before turning it on is new to me.
Will having the pro-track set on SAS vs. TAS effect the battery life any? I have mine set on SAS.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Will having the pro-track set on SAS vs. TAS effect the battery life any?

Not significantly.

Switching it to 'Economy' mode might help, depending on whether you jump every day or just weekends. If you jump just weekends, set it to 'Economy'.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Thanks for the bit of info. I did know that manual said wait about a minute before placing the new batteries. The wait 15 minutes after replacement before turning it on is new to me.

New to me too. I left the 2 minute interval after removing the old batteries, and have it set on "Economy", though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well it's been more than 36 hours since I sent B-and-L a carefully crafted email informing them that my ProTrack failed (the email was pretty much written in a way which told them what happened, who and when I bought it from, my serial number on the unit and where do I need to ship it to have it repaired).

Well not a word from them so far. So who said this company looks after their customers? It's starting to look like I have a useless $280 paper weight on my hands. >:(

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Well I'm still waiting for a reply but in the meantime I hate to say it, but I've placed another order and will be buying yet even more skydiving gear. Under the assumption that I will either get my ProTrack fixed (or be shipped a replacement), I just placed an order for two ... count'em ... ProDyters which I will use as audibles and then I'm going to fly the ProTrack on my leg (apparently the best place to have it for accurate jump readings).

I'm sure someone will question why I'm doing this, but I wanted a backup audible and I do like the logging capabilities of the ProTrack. So why not use the ProTrack where it's best suited.

Give it a few, I emailed them just to say I like your stuff and they sent me a butt load of patches and stickers like 3 days later...free of charge. I'm sure they will take care of you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Umm... why not take some time to do a few jumps without an audible and learn to be altitude aware other ways while waiting on L&B to fix yours? Replacing one with 2 will just increase your reliance on them in the long haul. I'll some times toss my protrack in my jacket pocket and flywith out an audible to double check that I'm checking the altitude and not becoming trained to listen for a beep.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

ProDyters which I will use as audibles and then I'm going to fly the ProTrack on my leg (apparently the best place to have it for accurate jump readings).

I'm sure someone will question why I'm doing this, but I wanted a backup audible and I do like the logging capabilities of the ProTrack. So why not use the ProTrack where it's best suited.

the last word is that the best place to put your protrack for the most accurate reading
is on your harness where main webbing connects to the container. it was discovered
during 2001 speed skydiving competition that one could temper with protrack placed
on a ankle just simply by kicking the legs. there were speed spikes registered over 600 mph
due to that effect. on the other hand if you don't do speed dives, why would you worry
so much about how accurate the speed reading is ? i jump the exact configuration you
described - two prodytters in my helmet and protrack on my harness for speed dives.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Good point, Eric. I'm of the opinion that if I hear my audible before I have started doing what it was trying to remind me then it's time to take things back a notch.

I know of a person that always relied on their audible. It was all good until it failed and they found themselves under their main at 900' after a low pull.

Reason given: I didn't hear it go off.

Well, slick, how about your eyes and your visual alti? Sheesh.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

And for the most part didn't I do just that on Sunday? I looked at the horizon when things started to feel fishy, immediately went to my belly from my head down (tracked a bit as well), looked at my wrist mount and said to myself "it's pull time".

Sheesh right back at you dude ...

I guess you guys don't bother to read the thread. If you had you would have noticed that I was a little pre-occupied with the dude who had just corked above me.

You know what, I'm not going to get into this anymore. It's obviously not going anywhere.

And for the most part didn't I do just that on Sunday? I looked at the horizon when things started to feel fishy, immediately went to my belly from my head down (tracked a bit as well), looked at my wrist mount and said to myself "it's pull time".

Sheesh right back at you dude ...

I think you're being more than a little overly defensive, Steve. If I read Kris's post right, his "sheesh" was directed at the person he was telling you about, not you.

Your thread title and the initial statements did mislead more than a few people -- our first impression was that you were going to say that you went low because your ProTrack didn't beep -- reading your explanation made it clear that you were heads up as to your altitude and you were simply commenting on the lack of beep. All others are trying to do is to tell you that you could become device dependent and to beware. I have yet to see anyone castigate you for your actions; I think you need to learn to read the messages and not shoot at the messengers.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I think you need to learn to read the messages and not shoot at the messengers.

Yes you are right. I've had a long frustrating day at work today (I'm still here ... doh) and I really shouldn't take my frustrations out on fellow DZ.COMers. My boss ... well that's another story. ;)

Sheesh right back at you dude...

And, Jack, you sir are correct.

As far as checking visual alti's during a HD dive (mentioned earlier in the thread), I absolutely suck at HD, still learning so I only do HD dives solo or with a qualified coach. It's a pure test of will to stay in my own column of air with decent stability, but I can still check my wrist alti without corking.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Square One kicks ass!!! Of course I paid extra for this, but I placed a rush order with them yesterday afternoon and low and behold my new audibles are sitting on my desk here at work. Square One rocks!!! B|

But I still haven't heard a peep from the L-and-B people concerning my broken ProTrack. >:(

Thanks to Square One's intervention (who contacted L&B on my behalf today), I may have a resolution to my ProTrack problems. I need to send the faulty ProTrack back to Square One and upon their receipt they are supposed to send me a new unit (I guess my logged jumps are history, good thing I keep paper logs).

What I don't get is why did L&B ignore my email. It wasn't a nasty email. I was just telling them that my unit failed and asked them where I could send it for repairs. Why did they choose to ignore that sort of message?

Once more Square One rocks ... I'm not so sure about L&B.