shah269

Yeah....soft landings? How do you do it?

has sussex updated their gear? Last I saw they had some spanked up stuff that flew like shit no matter what you did with it.

did you tib/fib at sussex?

Dave

Daver, roger that. I had my issue at Sussex on what I think is or was a very old gear.
I know when I go back I'll be asking for the much much newere stuff that doesn't fall from the sky in the last 50ft.
But I'll do some reading and a lot of PLF falls till then.
I'll also ask a few friends to record my landings for me so I can learn from my mistakes.
God I love free fall! I LOVE IT! I absolutely hate everything after that! It's as if I just don't have enough time to process what's going on! And so this, half flare, stabilize, review the situation and land full flare may be more for me.
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Practice.

You land many times under a big, forgiving wing that doesn't break you completely when you mess up a little. That's how everyone started out.

What else did you get good at after 8 tries?

I found that looking ahead instead of down on landing helps, so does practice flares higher up, how are you going to use all of the flare if you don't know where it starts?

Talk to your instructors about the flare tecnique, I'm sure they have their own ways and methods of explaining the flare.

Landings are important, just ask me, I've broken a leg in a bad landing, and have had more bruises than you can count. Oh and how could I forget that blue toe incident! ;) If you don't land properly, you can't go up again.

Take care!

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

has sussex updated their gear? Last I saw they had some spanked up stuff that flew like shit no matter what you did with it.

Dave

Daver, roger that. I had my issue at Sussex on what I think is or was a very old gear.
I know when I go back I'll be asking for the much much newere stuff that doesn't fall from the sky in the last 50ft.
I'll also ask a few friends to record my landings for me so I can learn from my mistakes.
God I love free fall! I LOVE IT! I absolutely hate everything after that! It's as if I just don't have enough time to process what's going on! And so this, half flare, stabilize, review the situation and land full flare may be more for me.
Shah

knowing the gear of which you speak bring your log book to the ranch there is much better gear there.
Do you remember which direction the wind was coming from on your landing that you hurt yourself on? from the road, the runway, the bar or the tarmac?

(I have worked at both dropzones and used to pack that gear, and do coach at the ranch on the weekends now so you can know where I am at)

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

My first 98 landings were miserable. Some worked out OK but I didn't ever know why. I took a canopy course for jumps 99-103. I didn't get to do anything special for my 100th, just a quick hop n' pop for the class. It was all worth it, after that I knew how my canopy flew and had to work with it. I did about 25 hop n' pops after that so that I was not distracted by anything other than the canopy, and no other traffic. I haven't had a "bad" landing since, but I also don't kid myself that it won't ever happen.

Bottom line, get help locally (or travel) from someone who knows what they are doing and has a camera and spend some time focused on canopy, that means maybe putting some other cool stuff on hold. It comes quickly if you are dedicated to it.

Simon

What main would he have been jumping?

if they have the same old beat up gear it would have been a falcon that you can pack by blinking at.

that is saying if they have the same gear.

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Words from an expert.:|

Sangi, post less, jump more.

ok im new here so maybe I have no cause to speak on this matter but I've seen this response from several people on several different topics. I may be new to jumping but im not new to the internet or extreme sports (street bikes racing/stunting, scuba -advanced rescue certified, mountaineering, white water kayaking, etc) and it pisses me off to have people post things like this on a board that is DEDICATED TO LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE SPORT. This is like telling people to learn gun safety by shooting a lot.

Nothing can replace experience, this is true, but when people come asking for help it is ridiculous to basically tell them to fuck off and go learn it themselves.

*EDIT* shit, nevermind, I just realized the response I qouted was not meant to be towards the original poster but a reply to someone else instead.
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

Dave

Shah

knowing the gear of which you speak bring your log book to the ranch there is much better gear there.
Do you remember which direction the wind was coming from on your landing that you hurt yourself on? from the road, the runway, the bar or the tarmac?

(I have worked at both dropzones and used to pack that gear, and do coach at the ranch on the weekends now so you can know where I am at)

Dave

Pre take off the winds were comming down the runway at a good clip. The tandems were comming to almost standstill ladings. So that should have been a hint that it was too windy for n00b like me.
As for the rig? Yes I'm going to say it's the much much much older green rig.
By the time I was at 700ft and feeling the turbulance....yeah that doesn't feel good at all! the winds were comming from the bar and I was running out of landing room. So I landed slightly off the wind facing into the road. At about 100 ft my brain started to fry, I was running out of landing strip, powerlines were comming at me hard and fast and I'm sure right about then I moved out of the PLF and lost focus.
You guys and gals are all right! I need to take a lot of classes in learning how to controll my equipment.
The free fall, I love, I.....enjoy, I understand!
The cannopy....I just never felt comfy under it.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

God I love free fall! I LOVE IT! I absolutely hate everything after that! It's as if I just don't have enough time to process what's going on!

One of the things Brian said in his class (I did it @ jump 15) was that you get better at stuff you love. The more you hate flying your canopy, the harder it will be to get good at it (to paraphrase).

I love flying my canopy, sometimes that's all I want to do. ; )

Good luck, hope you heal up well, go chat to your instructors, even before you're ready to jump again.

After reading a few of the later posts, I'm seeing a great example of what I was talking about.

There is a chance you may have been jumping gutter gear. Not that it is 'unsafe' but if you were jumping F-111 canopies, and they had been in service for awhile, then you would see reduced performance in the flare department.

You may recall seeing a post or two endorsing a technique called the two-stage flare. What this entails is flaring to about half brakes (chest level) allowing the canopy to fly level for a second, and then completing the flare. Some feel this is easier to manage, as you have two oppertunities to get the timing right, and in some cases they may be right. If you are indeed jumping old F-111 student chutes, then they are sadly mistaken.

The two stage flare does not apply to F-111, and all it would do is pile you into the ground even harder then a poorly timed one-stage flare. F-111 requires a well timed and forceful flare in order to be most effective.

This is why I suggested getting your training on the day of your next jump, when the exact canopy you will be jumping and the conditions you will be jumping it in are known.

I seem to recall you posting about much better landing performance out of a slightly different canopy on one of your jumps. If the DZ you are at has a mix of F-111 and Z-po canopies, then you will see vast differences between the two.

I also seem to recall you mentioning that you fall like an anvil, meaning you're on the heavier side. This being the case, I would investigate the type of gear being offered at your DZ. What you are looking for is a 'zero porosity' canopy, or a 'hybrid' canopy (which has a zero porosity top skin, and F-111 bottom skin for easy packing). If the DZ you have been at does not offer these types of canopies, jump elsewhere for the remainder of your student jumps. Worn out F-111 student canopies may work OK for lighter students, but they are not a friends to the bigger boys.

Try not to rely on just calling the DZ and asking. Any DZ is likely to tell you that their stuff will work just fine. Use your down time and DZ.com to network with some students and jumpers from surrounding DZs to find you what sort of gear they use for students.

Some might feel this is a drastic step, however, consider that you have already had a few hard landings, and now that you have had a tib/fib break, you're more likely to have another.

If old gear turns out to be the problem, you'll literlly be amazed at how easy it is to have a soft landing.

obviously you dont follow Sangi' posts much.. altough he's seemingly a nice dude, he's even more so an expert on canopy-piloting, wingsuiting and apparently, and most annoying, at BASEjumping..

its quite understandable that people do get ANNOYED with his nonexistent knowledge, yet, he doesnt miss a chance to ask not so clever questions and give (rather poor) advice.. :S

oh, and while your extreme skills at extreme sports might be valuable in those specific sports, mostly nothing translates into skydiving.. ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yah I suffered from a transitory case of foot-in-mouth syndrome. I had misread who was being replied to and thought hte "post less, jump more" comment was towards the original thread starter.

And yes I understand nothing translates to skydiving directly, I mentioned them in regards to understanding that some skills can not be learned on the internet, however for many details, the internet forums can save someone months or even years of trial and error.
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

Words from an expert.:|

Sangi, post less, jump more.

ok im new here so maybe I have no cause to speak on this matter but I've seen this response from several people on several different topics. I may be new to jumping but im not new to the internet or extreme sports (street bikes racing/stunting, scuba -advanced rescue certified, mountaineering, white water kayaking, etc) and it pisses me off to have people post things like this on a board that is DEDICATED TO LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE SPORT. This is like telling people to learn gun safety by shooting a lot.

Nothing can replace experience, this is true, but when people come asking for help it is ridiculous to basically tell them to fuck off and go learn it themselves.

*EDIT* shit, nevermind, I just realized the response I qouted was not meant to be towards the original poster but a reply to someone else instead.

Sigh... Cant you read? I'm not telling him to fuck off and learn everything himself... I'm asking how in hell did he manage to brake himself with a huge ass forgiving student canopy?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Sigh... Cant you read? I'm not telling him to fuck off and learn everything himself... I'm asking how in hell did he manage to brake himself with a huge ass forgiving student canopy?

:D:D Wow can you read? His post was not even directed at you!:S Btw you have no clue about what he was even jumping so dont sit here and ask stupid ass questions about how he can hurt his self under a big student canopy. Troll on Sangi!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I WANT TO LAND LIKE THIS!
http://vimeo.com/4712582
This is how I want my landings to look! Not the controlled crashes I've had thus far!
How do I do this?
Shah

I WANT TO LAND LIKE THIS!

No you don't. That was not a good landing. She got lucky.

How do I do this?

Flare too high, let it up a bit and then flare again. But really, it's far better to flare once at close to the right altitude and hold it...

OP -- I'm still working on my landings too. For every 2 I stand up, I have 1 that I flare too low/high and end up in a PLF. My brain hasn't gotten the knack for knowing when I'm supposed to flare... Though I must say, low flares hurt a hell of a lot more than high ones.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

OP -- I'm still working on my landings too. For every 2 I stand up, I have 1 that I flare too low/high and end up in a PLF. My brain hasn't gotten the knack for knowing when I'm supposed to flare... Though I must say, low flares hurt a hell of a lot more than high ones.

~Gav

...high flares have a much higher possibility of serious injury. Depending the height of the stall you can easily hit the ground with more speed than if you hadn't flared at all. (at best with no forward motion, which helps with a PLF. Also with possibility of falling backwards with a high chance of wrist and arm injury)

Though I must say, low flares hurt a hell of a lot more than high ones.

That's ture, if the follwing is true -

You know the stall point of your canopy, and you are careful not to get to that point at anytime near the ground. On student canopies, you may not be able to stall the canopy at all if the steering lines are set long, or your arms were made short. Either way, keep the canopy flying at all times at any altitude lower than you would want to cutaway.

Also, if you flare high, never put your hands back up. Ever. You can always stop your flare the moment you notice you are too high, holding your hands where they are at that time, and complete it when you get to a more appropriate altitude. Trying to put your hands back up and start over is a huge mistake that can end badly.

Lastly, whatever altitude you flare at, be sure to finish the flare before you make contact with the ground, and be ready to perform a PLF.

Shah

Shah,

This is a VERY important question:

What is the name, model and size of canopy you jumped? 7-cell PD, Manta, Sabre, Pilot, etc. Size 210, 230, 260, 288, etc?

Can you please look in your logbook and find out if the instructor wrote down the canopy you landed under? It should be there. Logbooks are supposed to contain this information. If this was not documented at all, you might want to consider going elsewhere to finish student training -- if you don't even know what parachute hurt you, and what parachute gave you the best landing? You mentioned you jumped 2 different ones.

I've landed mediocre under one brand/size, while I land near-perfectly under a different brand/size, at a specific skill level. It may make a massive difference, assuming the comments are accurate. But we need to know the model and size of your canopy. (distinguished from the name of the container/rig. A 'Vector' or 'Javelin' isn't a parachute, for example.) Additional bonus point if you manage to obtain age information about the canopy (number of jumps it had). Age information is usually not recorded into logbooks, but may have some contributing role in your injury. Even an adequately-maintained 260-sqft canopy with over 1000 jumps could, in some cases, end up being more dangerous than well maintained smaller 210-sqft canopy with under 100 jumps. Despite the wingloading difference. (In fact I've seen new 210's float down more slowly than a 260 -- due to age of fabric, permeability of fabric, etc)

You come into the forum barging in like going onto a motorcycle forum complaining how you got hurt under a borrowed motorcycle of a brand and model you don't even mention because you don't know what you rode. (Was it a Harley? Was it a Suzuki?)
:)
Nudge, nudge -- you know?

Same thing here...
(in the 'keep us in the dark' sense.)

So.... What did you jump?

Shah269,
What size canopy are you jumping? A 9 Cell doesn't say much but if you want soft landings you should be jumping a 230 sq ft canopy of just about any manufacturer.
I have been jumping for 37 years and being about the same weight as you, I too had hard landings on several of the canopies I tried over the years. Back in the 80's, the squares I jumped included the para cloud's and the cruise air/lite's. These were F111 fabrics and I could shut them down to a tip toe landing every time.
With the introduction of the zero P's, I noticed a lot of differences including the forward speeds when landing which forced me to run. Having a bad ankle which doesn't allow me to run, I proceeded to test a lot of different parachutes out there. I concluded there are only a very few models that you can shut down even in no wind. The Silhouette which is made by PD is one of those canopies, however the timing when flaring is critical. The best one out there is the PD Spectre. It's a 7 cell and has great performance with nice flare that isn't as critical as the Silhouette. You can go to their web site and request a demo which they let you use for 2 weekends, even longer if you need it.
I actually have both canopies and if the winds are 10 or better, I fly the silhouette and for very light or no wind, I use the Spectre.

Stay with it and try a few canopies, but make sure they are 210, 220 or 230, they will let you down easy.

Good Luck
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I'm still waiting on data as to what I jumped with.
But so far I haven't gotten any data. Oddly no one is telling me...which is kind of strange. But I'm sure it's because they are just too busy.

But yeah I'm looking to "walk" away from my landings.
No need to swoop...I have a motorcycle for that!