m0ng00se007

PDFT - Expedition Italy 2009 (more info)

Mind splitting that lotto ticket with me? :D

I checked into tickets today and it'll cost me $900+ dollars to get to Munich - coupled with the price tag it's a little out of my price range.

I'll bet, for those who can afford to go, it'll be worth every single penny!

If anyone here is going, don't be shy - please share the experience with us when you return :)
Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

it's a little out of my price range.

A little out of your price range? I have a better chance of my wife bringing home a set of Playboy twins then me coming up with the money to go on a trip like that!

And like the twins, I have great dreams of doing a trip like this! ;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Those are some pretty high requirements.... especially considering skiiers are flying in those mountains with speedwings not too far from those loadings with zero skydives.... :S

Not that I think those guys are right, but that requirement seems a little high to me.

Most of the flying that others are doing in the Dolomites aren't on ski slopes either. The big runs are reached by heli-drop off, and as for the speed wings not being similar to canopies, I've a 105sq ft crossbraced speedwing that's based on the JVX...

Some might be more similar than you think. ;)

I'm aware that flying in the mountains is dangerous. I've been speed flying for the last 3 years but the added dangers aren't something that gets massively reduced simply by increasing the number of skydives you've made. There are hazards in the mountains that are unique to that environment that specific training will mitigate - knowledge of turbulence, avalanches, weather patterns.

My point is, they're using skydiving limits for something that isn't wholly skydiving, but then not knowing exactly what they're up to, and if I was them, I guess I'd err on the side of caution too.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic time. I'm only slightly envious of anyone who goes. :)

I think the requirements are reasonable. They are not flying along ski slopes and you can't compare speedwings to canopys. Flying along those mountains is very dangerous.

My speedwing(12 m/(115 sq ft projected) gin nano) is pretty much just a stiletto with trimmers on the risers and a hip attachment point, add on my skis and mtn climbing gear and Im loading it at about 2:1 flying it along cliffs as high as 14,400 ft. That being said, the requirements are what they are, these guys aren't flying with skis on which ups the danger 10 fold IMHO, and I suspect part of it is that since they will be filming, and they will be loading they're canopies that heavily, you better be able to keep up with the team. Cant wait until I get enough experience to join a trip like this...

Keep in mind it is being marketed to skydivers and the meat of the trip is the heli jumps, with the goal of swooping high performance skydiving gear down mountains. The speedflying experience helps greatly with flying the terrain, more so then any number of flat land swoops. But it doesn't help with the jumping and deploying of high performance equipment at high altitudes as well as entering the terrain from a high altitude(big turns into the run, ye haw). Hence the skydiving requirement. If it were primarily a speedriding expedition I would consider the requirements to be unreasonable for people with prior experience.

I would give them your skydiving and speedriding experience as well as references and see what happens. I'm sure the speedriding experience would have some weight.

Those are some pretty high requirements.... especially considering skiiers are flying in those mountains with speedwings not too far from those loadings with zero skydives....

Those aren't the requirements to fly in the mountains in general, just to fly the mountains in close proximity to the team.

I, for one, would be VERY selective about who I would want flying with me in that circumstance. With a mountain on one side of me, I want to make sure I can trust the guy flying a canopy on the other.

Man...it's a beautiful place! The mountains, yummy food, great snowboarding !
Yeah, Foern (wind) and local meteo can get tricky. So having a high w/l is essential to get some penetration and mountain swooping experience would be a must.
Me? I'd love to do it but not ready, yet. Fractured my elbow snowboarding, too.
Haven't got that experience on w/l 2.0 That will be 65 for me. :ph34r::D;)
I am envious...

reg. previous points - i think skydiving requirements are the basic criteria to judge your readiness. once those requirements are met i suppose they check other criteria. i might add that you would rather have people be over qualified than under qualified if you are taking anyone on a branded expedition to do something so dangerous.

damn work - i would have realllly liked to do this.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~