wonderwoman07

Canopy Choice/Swooping Advice for low weight jumper

All,

I've got a max exit weight of 135 - currently jumping a Safire 2 119 loaded at 1.13

He girlie.. I've seen you fly your canopy, and here's where I would go next..
Try a Sabre2 107 and a 97, I know you're in Eloy right now so its the perfect opportunity to demo gear. PD will be there and usually Icarus is there as well, see if you can demo gear in that range..

A 97 would still only put you at about 1.4, but at those sizes, that is a big jump...

All,

I've got a max exit weight of 135 - currently jumping a Safire 2 119 loaded at 1.13

Any advice on downsizing and or a change in canopies for a person in my situation?

I'm an aspiring swooper, but it is difficult to get much out of a canopy loaded so lightly.

Thanks!

Not that I should steal the props from John and Bill, as the Sabre 2 is a great parachute. But Before honestly telling you which canopy I think you should use, there are many questions to be answered.

It is best not draw your conclusion for several months if you want to make the right choice. There can be no rushing if you want to find yourself a parachute you can live with. In order to truly "Love" your canopy, you must arrive at the decision to purchase it based on a very exhaustive process. The beginning is to answer the following question:

1) What do you want your new parachute to do that your old parachute does not do well?

And the second question is:

2) Do you have the skills to handle all the new possibilities that this new level of performance will give you?

And finally:

3) Am I willing to pay the price of the learning process to attain such skills?

No, I do not mean paying for a canopy course. I am referring to the intense learning, either through written works, conversations of formal education. It is that or the Great Teacher (IPA: Incredible Physical Agony).
Take you pick.

Once you have answered the three questions, you need to take it a step further:

4) How good am I willing to become?

This is the biggie, the one that causes most people to hit a glass ceiling. If you honestly believe you are going to become a great canopy pilot, you will. This entails a commitment to the achievement of this goal. Giving up along the way is not permitted. The ground will weed you out, and it does not grade on a curve.

If you are willing to honestly think about each of these questions, regardless of the specific answers you came up with, you will create the correct choice for yourself. It will be, in fact, incredibly obvious. If it makes sense to you after all that thought and discussion, it is probably the truth for you.

Best of Luck on your Decision
Brian
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

OMG dont go to a sabre 2 thats going backwords a safire is a far better choice but now go to the next size down crossfire2

you will find its like a high performance safire but its nothing you cant handle. it dives alot more less drag great glide super openings great flare and you can dead stop it unlike a sabre 2 in no wind i can on a crossfire loaded 1.5 to a crawl.

the crossfire doesnt turn very fast like stiletos or diablos so if yo love to spin to your dizzy this canopy doesnt do it.

big thing there flare is easy and pretitable unlike the sabre 2 it would be a great step up from your safire. i demo the same size crossfire 1 or 2 and then demo like a 109 and a 99 at your weight just land them and be conservative.

again my neck still hurts from my sabre 2 135 its a good canopy but the safire is much better and the crossfire is the next step up.

Personally I would highly recommend against dropping to a sub 100 canopy at this point.

I think, the KA is a pretty damn good choice - particularly for lighter people who can benefit from the lighter front riser pressure. Now, whether or not the KA is within your skill level, or what size is appropriate, I cannot answer but I caution you to not go below 100 sq ft - just yet. I've seen a KA 107 loaded at barely 1.3 do some really, really good and fast swoops.

That said you can swoop a Safire2, Sabre2, etc, etc so I would chose the canopy with the characteristics, price and company support that fits you best.

As always, demo, demo, demo and seek coaching from qualified pilots.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

follow Brians advice

I would say try as many canopies as you can find in the same size as yours for now then try them in a size smaller...

and heres the other thing...things happen really fast on a sub 100 canopy...I know a girl that weighs less than you that wound in a coma for like 3 months on a 97 stilletto... and it was a millisecond difference that caused it...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

cmon mister moderator a crossfire way out performs a sabre 2 its not even close.

demo a sabre 2 and just land it stright in and then demo the equal size crossfire and land straight in the crossfire will have more speed more glide and will land nicer with a flare to your feet almost you cant do that with a sabre.

the crossfire is a great step up from your safire and i think you will be allready accustomed to it to me its a hot rod safire but it goes beyond that.

yes sub 100 isnt a good idea stay above 100.

put right now just land what you demo, begining swoops and canopy work and canopy coaching will come later. see what opens to your likeing and flys in your comfort zone and what you can land in any conditions.

you can swoop anything yes the sabre 2 will swoop and in the right hands it will go fast but your safire can swoop also the next step up in performance is the crossfires katana coblalts mamba vision vengence samuri nitro nitron rage firebolt and some others.

pilots sabre stileto safires they are one class done in performmnce but tony hathaway bruns down on a 120 spectre.

but i have a friend with a vision that swoops just as far as tony and he has 600 jumps.

once you have the canopy get brian germains book get some canopy coaching ( huge ) and talk to your swoopers at your dz. also get lots of advice on here i get awesome advice.

last is fear.
i had a friend at 80 jumps cut away 4 line twist. he now has 700 jumps and has had 25 times worst line twist and he gets out of them.

my point is its amazing what you get used to.

I dont conquer fear at all i embrace the risk, take my time and get use to the danger. i do things under canopy i never dreamed i could do.

but the key is dont push force your self into baby steps and feel and learn if you push too hard you will be over your head and into the ground you wont even recognize until its too late.

i have another friend who did a double front riser landing into the ground he broke his femur. he thought he was on rear riser. he pushed to hard.

now he is awesome and swoops and lands great.

OMG dont go to a sabre 2 thats going backwords a safire is a far better choice

That's your opinion and only your opinion. The better advice would be to say "go demo a Safire2 and a Pilot as well, you might find that you prefer one of those over the Sabre2."

See, personally I strongly disagree with your opinion. I've jumped Pilots, Safire2s and Sabre2 as well as Crossfire2s and Katanas. In the first class the Sabre2 out performs in area that it seems the original poster is looking. The Crossfire2 is a great canopy, I owned one and competed on it for 2 seasons. However, after jumping the same sized KA I was blown away and I strongly believe that the KA is a better wing.

I'm in no way sponsered by anyone except ME and my wallet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

see and then there is me...

I jumped same size KA and although it was hella fun to fly I prefer the Crossfire2

I even went so far as to demo the one step down KA and although hella fun...I preferred the Crossfire2
Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

oh totally and my previous post was demo everything you can get your hands on in yoru same size....

we are speaka da same language....(just not when it comes to berating beligerant cops)

Dave

dave the better thing would be for you to have sold that crossfire to me damn ya

anyway your big ass on a katana i am sure it went fast.

the katana is awesome i have felt it in action. the katana dives great and flys fast has a big nose but doesnt seem to mean anything.

its very twitchy and elicptical and the openings can be scary to me.

it deosnt open like a crossfire nor fly like one but its a hell of a canopy like a little velocity sister.

i have jumped a crossfire 109 i wouldnt jump a katana 109 loading both canopies makes them fly way different.

anyway mr i compete 2 years and not sell my crossfire to a poor sole in florida i think the best advice is yes to demo, but the katana is in the class of crossfires but in no was is it an easy or forgiving canopy to fly.

crossfire is very easy to fly and to land stay away from like the mamaba or katana until you have more jumps they are radical canopies and made me nervous when i flew them.

and i flew stiletos diblo and a stealth 9 cell diablo portotype

so yes demo demo demo. my point is the crossfire will feel good in your hands since you are on a safire and its not too radical to handle but it can haul ass when your ready. the katana is awesome but its more for a very advanced and comfortable and capable pilot.

its very twitchy and elicptical and the openings can be scary to me.

I don't really understand this preoccupation with "twitchy" canopies. I prefer the feeling of canopies loaded between 1.9 and 2.4 . At those loadings movement in the harness is a form of input. That doesn't mean that I can't put the risers together and turn 180 in the harness. It just means the weight needs to be even to do it. I have always found Crossfires to be quite responsive so I am wondering what kind of trim issues the Katana you speak of had. Or maybe is was just pilot "perception" because you felt you were over your head. I have been pleased with the opening and flight of the handful of Katanas I have jumped and enjoyed all but one Crossfire2 opening. That one slammed me but once open it flew and landed great.

I may be the only one who doesn't get this twitchy label from experienced pilots at heavy loading but I kind of doubt I am.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Loading a crossfire 1.7 and loading the katana 1.7 the katana obviously is more eliptical and is more responcive thats what i define twitchy. the katana doesnt have trim issues it dives further and harder then the crossfire and on landing your flare has to be more precise espicialy with speed. the crossfire at 1.7 is a more docile turning canopy and isnt as reactive and when you come in fast that slower toggle input speeds up and feels good.

So with a jumper moving from a safire to a crossfire isnt much of a skill jump but that same jumper gets on a katana they would be over there head first time they turned around to look at something and the canpy starts to dive or have 4 line twist and the canopy is diving towards the ground that would freek out the safire flyer. a katana is not for everyone and i dont like it thats why i didnt buy one. i loved the cobalt, nitro nitron rage and firebolt, the vision and mamba i didnt much care for.
i picked the crosssfire for all the reasons that make the crossfire what it is.

and no i wasnt over my head its prreference but i also dont jump canopies laoded 2.0 like you then i would be over my head.

Yeah no one asked you to " get " the twitchy label either so dont worry about it. I prefer splenda in my coffee instead of sugar are you going to ponder that also?

Try responding to the poster and her question like eveyone else did, i am sure with your knowledge and experince you could put her on a logical and safe canopy progresion path. You are more experinced then me.

I may be the only one who will label your responce as being a smart ass, but i doubt i will be.

read the reply before mine. thats what i am talking about.

some people want to start something instead of answering the girls question.

wait till someone is a swamrt ass to you your helping someone else or asking a question and they write some flame post that has nothing to do with the subject then you know wtf i am talking about

I think the Icarus rep who I demoed a Safire2 from last year at Eloy was more objective than you.

Hey wonderwoman, if the Icarus rep doesn't have any Safire2-119s, I'll be happy use yours while you're demoing something else...that is, if a Sabre2-120 is unavailable. :P

its just my experience and opinion i had a sabre 2 135

it was ok for me not a great fit to me the safire was a faster better easy to land canopy with flare to your feet i couldnt do that on my sabre with out bowtie i only flew the safire a few times but i liked it so much i demo a crossfire and loved that more.

i think the safire is great the pilot is nice and there is nothing wrong with a sabre 2.

i just think they are in the same league and for her to safly step up i think crossfire is logical

you mean johnny1488

he is here on dropzone

Also I will say that I had a similar experience...I felt more comfortable on the 119 Crossfire2 than the KA 120 unti lI had a few more HP landings...

D

loading the two the same here is what I found...

crossfire took a little longer to start the turn and get honking

Katana pull riser and weeeeeeeeee

crossfire had a shorter rcovery arc than the katana

crossfire more lifty later in swoop

both fun as hell to fly different techniques involved and that is that...

Now here is what sold me on the Crossfire2 in the end...the openings....like butter...you have to pretty much twist your slider up into a knot to get it to open fast...

would I fly a katana? totally ...

am I currently flying a crossfire...yes and why personal preference, in the end it comes down to what you prefer and what you are comfortable with... (in my case at this point it is prefer originally it was a comfortability factor as the katana scared the shit out of me :P)

Cheers all

Dave