BlindBrick

Safire II recovery arc at 1.4-1.45

Can anybody tell me what the recovery arc on a Saifre II at the 1.4 WL is like?

I've been experimenting with risers(up high) with a 269 at 1.3, and it feels like the canopy is actually gaining a small bit of altitude once I release the riser. I was wondering if at 1.4 there was still that tendancy.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

In what elevation and what temperature?

You should be the right one to check it anyway.

~1200 msl and temps in the lower 90's (F) with density altitudes between 2500-3100.

The reason I was asking is that I'm considering demo'ing a smaller canopy but my main objective is a a less positive recovery arc. I don't want to spend money on the demo if the arc is going to be very similar.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Are you sure the breaks are not set too shallow on the 269? Canopies that have brakes too short sometimes have that pop pack up thing after they have speed induced to them. Just tossing out ideas...

I'm headed out to te dz now to verify, but last I looked, I still have plenty of slack in the brake lines.

-Blind

one of the guys at our dz jumps a saf 2 about that wl and his recovery arc is extremly short. really short, we all comment on it. as soon as he is off the riser he is planing out. immediatly. i guess this can be good in some instances but not for him. he usually does a little over 90s from like 150-200 feet for nice swoops. its pretty low but like i said it planes out so fast. although lately hes been coming out too high.

Can anybody tell me what the recovery arc on a Saifre II at the 1.4 WL is like?

(Reviving this thread)

I'm currently flying a Safire2 149 @ 1.4 and even on 90deg turns the riser pressure builds up quickly and when I can no longer hold them down the canopy starts climbing (I felt it, people on the ground confirmed it).. Then it loses speed and goes back into full flight again.

Feels like the recovery arc is shorter than a 1-size larger Sabre2.

Will check my brake lines but I also feel like there was enough slack (certainly when I'm not pulling down on risers there's plenty of slack). Did it solve the problem for you?

Any other Safire flyers care to chime in?

Will check my brake lines but I also feel like there was enough slack (certainly when I'm not pulling down on risers there's plenty of slack). Did it solve the problem for you?

Wow, I had totally forgotten this thread even existed. Looking at the date I last posted here, the next day I did in fact go to the dropzone, but any results I obtained were forgotten when I got the phonecall that my son had been in a wreck. He didn't make it and all I remember from the dropzone that day way sitting down after the sunset load discussing with my friends about how good of a day of jumping it had been when I got the phone call that they were air evac'ing my son.

I will say that a month ago I had a CC course with Luigi Cani and it was his opinion that my brake lines were actually too long. Givne that, I don't think they are affecting recovery arc.

-Blind

Yeah I fly a 149 at the same wing loading (1.4 or so) and I have experienced the same type of short and snappy arc. If I wanted to lay into the riser for longer, it would be extremely difficult because of the pressure.

And yes I do experience that bit of altitude under certain conditions, but not always.

>He also said the Safire "had lower front riser pressure and stayed in the
>dive longer" than a similarly sized XF2

This is true specifically on the XF2 and Saf2 demo canopies that Square 1 has, and is also true when I compare that Saf2 to my XF2 109. It's been confirmed by at least two other people who have jumped both demo canopies.

However, the more I jump different canopies the more I realize that:

a) A XF2 109 at 1.8 to 1 is not the same as a XF2 129 at 1.8 to 1

b) A given Safire2 109 loaded at 1.8 to 1 is not the same as another Safire2 109 loaded at 1.8 to 1, built at a different time (although it's likely to be similar.)

If Square 1 ever sells that Saf2 I'd consider buying it because I know how it flies - but I don't know if I'd spend the money on another Saf2 109. I recently got my wife a Saf2 119 and it flies nothing like the 109 that Square 1 has. Recovery arc is much shorter and front riser pressure is higher than I was used to. Is that the difference 10 square feet makes? Maybe, but it may also be due to the normal variation between canopies.

Another note is that canopies seem to scale very differently. The Safire seems to get better as it gets smaller. The Pilot seems to get worse. I have a Pilot 117 I can't stand, but I love the Pilot 150 I got for bigways.

However, the more I jump different canopies the more I realize that:

a) A XF2 109 at 1.8 to 1 is not the same as a XF2 129 at 1.8 to 1

b) A given Safire2 109 loaded at 1.8 to 1 is not the same as another Safire2 109 loaded at 1.8 to 1, built at a different time (although it's likely to be similar.)

[....] I recently got my wife a Saf2 119 and it flies nothing like the 109 that Square 1 has. Recovery arc is much shorter and front riser pressure is higher than I was used to. Is that the difference 10 square feet makes? Maybe, but it may also be due to the normal variation between canopies.

That's an interesting development of your original post which I had read and considered a relevant input in my decision to purchase the Safire2 (just to be clear, I'm not holding you responsible for my disappointment in any way, I just had assumed that the behavior @ 1.8 wouldn't be so radically different from that @ 1.4. I was wrong..)

I'm not willing to increase my w/l at this point (other than by eating ice cream), but I'm seriously considering switching to an xf2. Can anyone comment on the riser pressure & recovery arc of the xf2 @ 1.4 w/l?

If Square 1 ever sells that Saf2 I'd consider buying it because I know how it flies

Despite the fact that it's neon pink? :ph34r:

that's not the worst color to have on a canopy.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda