how do you pack a main pilot chute?

Whats the best method? If anyone could detail it, preferably with pics, i'd appreciate it. If not, just a good description will do. I just received my rig and want to practice PC throws, but dont know how to pack fully yet.

Also, i read that packing the PC a certain way means that if a horse shoe occurs, there is a way to pack it whereby it will pull the PC free of the pocket. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this, and if so, how do you pack the PC so that it will be pulled free if the bag deploys?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

This is pretty similar to the method I use, plus there are pictures to make it easier. :)
http://www.bigairsportz.com/Pilotchute.html

Ditto.

As for the best packing method, that's like asking, "What the best way to pack a main," or, "What's the best container?" If you ask ten different skydivers, you'll probably get 10 different answers.

there are many many ways of doing it.
or as someone once told me "it will most likely work even if you just stuff it in".
but dont, we dont like "most likely" here...B|

i just asked someone to show me while packing, its the best way. or simply spy on someone packing.
O

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

most people i know pack their pilot chutes that way. i happened to have been taught a different way, and it has always worked. a rigger once packed mine the way shown in the link, and i had a hard pull where my hand actually slipped off my hackey... so i'm sticking to my old method.
point is, many ways will work. just watch everyone pack
http://www.exitshot.com

See step 10? Don't freak'n do that! Putting a rig up on its yoke like that isn't very good for a Cypress, it's not good for those of you with soft or partially soft housings, too.

Chill Winston.B| From the angle of the shot it's obvious he just had the rig like that to show the PC distribution in the pocket.

But you do raise a good point.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>I know that rig does'nt have a cypres, or at least it did'nt
>when i jumped it this summer.

That's the point. I don't have a CYPRES in my rig, but I've made a habit out of keeping the rig on it's side while stuffing the PC in. That way when I'm packing a CYPRES-equipped rig, I don't have to change the way I pack. Actually I don't even have to think about whether or not there's a CYPRES in the rig.

See step 10? Don't freak'n do that! Putting a rig up on its yoke like that isn't very good for a Cypress, it's not good for those of you with soft or partially soft housings, too.

OK I'll bite:$, there are o stupid questions here right???????um right???[:/]

Why is that bad for a CYPRES????

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I use the same method, but keep the PC on the floor throughout. Couldn't see the need to pick up everything twice if I planned the placement correctly.B|

Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

I like Brian's method, its what I do...for a couple of reasons. Pulling the bridle attatchment down and putting it in the BOC that way makes for an easy pull and it also is good for the mesh because the bridle doesnt rub on it at pulltime. It rubs on the ZP instead. Its just what I prefer.

If you're worried about a horseshoe type malfunction, transition over to a pull-out deployment system. Much more difficult to have a horseshoe with the pull-out...reduces several other potential problems as well (IMO). You don't have to worry as much about how you "fold" the pilot-chute that way either. ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Another good reason not to do that: I was sitting cross legged with my rig balanced on my legs so that it was tipped up like that (yoke was not on the ground) so that I could put the pilot chute in the pouch. The pouch, or at least the elastic on the mouth, was apparently replaced not to long before I bought the rig so it is really tight. I had two fingers prying the mouth open while I worked the PC in with my right hand. My fingers slipped and WHAP, I punched myself right in the nose, and hard. :$ Glanced around the hangar, didn't look like anybody saw me hit myself, finished packing and made a note to never do that again.