CanuckInUSA

Got to jump my new Velocity canopy today

I made four high altitude hop n' pops today in the Denver area (yes it was a little cold up top) and I got to jump my new Velocity 111 canopy. Wow ... what a fun canopy to fly and what a powerful flare it has. But I totally understand why many experienced people don't want inexperienced people jumping cross-braced canopies. This is not your father's docile canopy. It opens, flies, dives and flares like no other canopy I've ever jumped before. It's tons of fun, but it's also a canopy not to be taken lightly and definitely not a canopy for the untrained, uncurrent and inexperienced to be jumping.

By the way Jason if you do read this. Thanks for the pre-jump info on the Velo. Pretty much everything you said about how it would preform was true. And watch out for those openings. I thought I'd be fine given that my Crossfire2 also has squirely openings. But this canopy is even squirelier. I can't wait until tomorrow to do some more high altitude hop n' pops with it. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Glad you liked it and glad i could help. BTW, you left a little early. We went up and built a five way on that tandem - and then on opening, i had a very hard opening for a velo. (i know i told you they don't open hard,) then went 180 to the right. i got that stoped, but when she came back she went about 720 left and i was on my back and that was the end of that. Anyway, i sure am glad that pd reserves land so well. I beleive you refered to the openings as dynamic. Well said!

on opening, i had a very hard opening for a velo. (i know i told you they don't open hard,) then went 180 to the right. i got that stoped, but when she came back she went about 720 left and i was on my back and that was the end of that.

You probably induced the 720 left when you stopped the right turn. Instead of harness shifting to steer the opening, try just keeping your hips level with the ground. Just like a swing set, that will bring the canopy back on heading without the over shoot. If after opening you have spinning line twists, just make the links even, since the canopy won't turn if the link are even and you can then kick out. Once I figured that out, I never had to cutaway from spinning line twists again.

Derek

Well i didn't really want to get into it this deeply, but yes my input didn't help matters. I over corrected a 180 after a very hard opening. I should have been a little more gentle...
However, back to the point of canuck's post, congrats on the canopy, i will see you tomorrow.

I thought I'd be fine given that my Crossfire2 also has squirely openings. But this canopy is even squirelier.

I found the Velo squirely in the beginning when I was trying too hard to fly the openings. Since I've focused more on going with it, instead of trying to stear it (hard to explain, but like hook said, just keeping the links even) I've had zero openings get away from me or suddenly spin off in the opposite direction.

Incidently I found the XF2 openings significantly more squirely than the Velo :)
Nonetheless I think you'll love your new canopy. Never flown a Velo as big as a 111 but I'm sure it performs as well as all the other sizes I have jumped.

Have fun and be safe.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'm going to try and pay better attention to the nose tomorrow when I pack (it won't help me for my first jump unless I repack tonight). It's a brand spanking new canopy (slippier than owls shit) and in some respects, packing it is harder than packing my BASE rig when it was brand new. But I know from my BASE experience, my on-heading performance is mainly a body position thing-a-ma-bob.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

on opening, i had a very hard opening for a velo. (i know i told you they don't open hard,) then went 180 to the right. i got that stoped, but when she came back she went about 720 left and i was on my back and that was the end of that.

You probably induced the 720 left when you stopped the right turn. Instead of harness shifting to steer the opening, try just keeping your hips level with the ground. Just like a swing set, that will bring the canopy back on heading without the over shoot. If after opening you have spinning line twists, just make the links even, since the canopy won't turn if the link are even and you can then kick out. Once I figured that out, I never had to cutaway from spinning line twists again.

Derek

ya. the velocity will try to dance on you if you try to take controll... just let it open.:)

Heh, yeah. I trash pack every time :)
Blues,
Ian

Likewise. I don't clear anything but the stabilizers, throw the main on the ground and cocoon it, roll it up like a sleeping bag and jam it in the bag. The only people I know that get slammed by Velos are the lazy freefly team on my dropzone that always has a metiulous packer pack for them. One guy on this team has at least four chops on Velos in the past two years, all of which I attribute to poor body position. Also, my velo has never gotten around more than once on me in the two years I have been jumping them. A good strong throw combined with a stable body position helps any canopy open straighter.

Chuck

That is great advice. By co-incidence ;) I was just recently reading your post Preventing and Curing Line Twists.

Excellent stuff! The writings of yourself, Bryan Burke (old stuff on rec.), Brian Germaine, Billvon and Bill Booth (with some Tontoisms thrown in for good measure) should be collated and made required reading for all new skydivers.

Will

The only people I know that get slammed by Velos are the lazy freefly team on my dropzone that always has a metiulous packer pack for them. One guy on this team has at least four chops on Velos in the past two years,

Chuck

ha! i know that guy. and you're right too, he probably never has a problem when he's packing for himself! ???:P

and the velo is a very fun canopy. but i'm totally sold on the AWESOME openings of the Xaos.

I borrowed my friends 80 something and loved it.It helps that it is so easy to pack!Of course I don't even come close to loading it like he does.At first I didn't think I would like the canopy.The 3 jumps I made on that little sucker changed my mind completely!rob

Didn't PD approve a smaller slider for the Velo, or am I mistaken? If so, anyone have one, or can compare with the standard slider? I'm considering looking into getting one...

I got one of those smaller sliders but I haven't had a chance to do more than a few hop-n-pops with it. The original slider measures 29.5" wide and 22.5" tall. The new one measures 28.5" wide and 20" tall.

Didn't PD approve a smaller slider for the Velo, or am I mistaken? If so, anyone have one, or can compare with the standard slider? I'm considering looking into getting one...

I got one of those smaller sliders but I haven't had a chance to do more than a few hop-n-pops with it. The original slider measures 29.5" wide and 22.5" tall. The new one measures 28.5" wide and 20" tall.

I know it's probably to soon to tell, but notice any difference? Wondering if you're getting slightly faster openings, and if the velo's dancing less...

OJ...I have a small slider on my velo111 that I bought from a camera flyer you know. He put the slider on this canopy and it is like 30% smaller than the slider that was on the demo I had jumped for a month or so (sorry to anyone who was waiting on that demo). In my opinion the openings are way better with the smaller slider. They are faster with less action. I know you jump a smaller canopy than I do but if you want the measurements of my slider I can get them to you next week when I get back.
With a smaller slider the velo still has a really nice snivel...the difference is it doesn't last for 1000+ feet.
Whats up with the 103 that was in the tree, any damage?

Yo Jay, sup. Didn't know you got a velo. Nice :)

I think I'm gonna order the smaller velo slider - and at least give it a try.

Velo that was in the tree seems fine. No holes that I've seen, and the lines look good. Way better than the other one that was gone for a year ;) I'll have Brett take a thorough look at it soon.